• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Didn't Chris Jordan bowl them out a few years ago?
Yeah but he is just a foot note in the who's who of the guys who have bowled us out. :laugh:

But seriously, I am talking about structural changes that have taken our cricket to this level and the foundations were laid then.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Ehhh I think people were plenty concerned about the pitch after Joe Root, who is a part-timer - a very good, competent part-timer, but still - was bowling hand grenades and got 5/****-all.
Wouldn't argue with you on that at all! And the game was in the favour of the bowlers. But it's a little tough to draw a line when it comes to the pitches, I mean we are all OK with the ball offering too much help to pace bowlers(whether in terms of bounce, swing or pace) in SENA.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember years ago, like 10 years ago, we had that thread someone started moaning about Darren Gough saying England would beat India any day of the week. Just after the 10/11 Ashes. Anyway a load of Indians said in that thread that if England ever went 1-0 up in India they'd just produce a rank turner and that'd be that

At least they waited until 1-1 I guess :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I mean, the same crowd was complaining about the Chepauk wicket until Ashwin went and hit a hundred on it second dig. India was batting fairly serenely till close last night too but then got out to a series of terrible shots today. If batsmen keep getting out to straight balls time after time and the only excuse you can serve up is the unpredictable nature of the wicket (and only lateral variations in spin at that, virtually no grubbers, nothing that reared up out of nowhere) then you might as well strip them of their Test badges and have them play on featherbeds with just the ideal amount of seam, swing, and turn to suit your tastes.
Root brought up a very good point that the pink ball seems to come on faster than the red one. Maybe had they played a regular red ball test here, the straight balls could have been negotiated better.

I agree more with Root's post match interview than Virat's FTR. I dont think the pitch is "poor" as in it causes physical danger but it was definitely inconsistent and that makes batting a bit of a lottery and that is not always good for cricket.

I hope it is an one off due to the curator still getting to know how the wickets behave and the pink ball + day/night effects.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I must be missing something but I feel that Kohli doesn't have the greatest record on out-and-out turners? I could be overweighting that 2017 series which was on turners and he got 0 runs though
Mumbai 2016 and a number of his runs from that season as well as his last two 2nd innings knocks say otherwise.

And that series was one where played 3 innings with a broken shoulder. I wont read so much into that failure.

Spark

Global Moderator
If it was the plastic coating of the pink ball that made some skid on then that would make some sense. I've never seen a pitch where there was such an extreme difference where a ball would absolutely rip like crazy out of nowhere, and the next ball would behave as if the pitch was an entirely placid road, with no real rhyme or reason behind which ball would do what.

Groundking

International Debutant
Wouldn't argue with you on that at all! And the game was in the favour of the bowlers. But it's a little tough to draw a line when it comes to the pitches, I mean we are all OK with the ball offering too much help to pace bowlers(whether in terms of bounce, swing or pace) in SENA.
People would moan like **** if what was happening with pace in SENA was inconsistent like it has been here today with spin. If its hooping loads in SENA it'll do that every ball and if you're getting inconsistent bounce on day 1/2 in SENA I don't think you'd find anybody who thought that it wasn't a dangerous pitch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If it was the plastic coating of the pink ball that made some skid on then that would make some sense. I've never seen a pitch where there was such an extreme difference where a ball would absolutely rip like crazy out of nowhere, and the next ball would behave as if the pitch was an entirely placid road, with no real rhyme or reason behind which ball would do what.
It was something mentioned by the Indian players based on their experience of the Bangladesh test in the pre-game interviews as well , tbh. The only benefit of doubt I will give this pitch and curator is the fact hat day night tests with this SG brand are still such an unknown and they may have made the pitch look worse than it really was and also made it more challenging for the batsmen.