• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the second best captain of the Fab Four?

Who is the second best captain of the Fab Four?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Steve Smith - had the most memorable captaincy era by miles
I think as a Test captain Smith had something about him, ruined it by not being a big enough presence to quash the natural cheater "alpha" vibe in the barking dog Aussie mentality though.
Root was always a bit of a wet noodle when he was given the captaincy, you felt the weight of more things to think about was just too much for him. Oddly captaincy made him seem younger to me instead of aging him like it does with others.
Kohli is an improvement on Dhoni which probably makes him one of the greatest Indian captains of all time. Pretty rubbish Test captain though. Very solid at ODIs however. Gets by on having the greatest ever Indian bowling attack up his sleeve.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Root I think is finally growing into the captaincy, his juggling of England's bowlers on days 4 and 5 of the recent test was just about flawless.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kohli is an improvement on Dhoni which probably makes him one of the greatest Indian captains of all time. Pretty rubbish Test captain though. Very solid at ODIs however. Gets by on having the greatest ever Indian bowling attack up his sleeve.
Funny that I think the absolute opposite. In fact, I feel pretty confident in saying that the reason MSD hung around till 2019 WC when he looked ready to quit around 2017 was because Virat requested him to, with the new wristies coming in and him having no idea how to set fields for the spinners in that format, something we often see with RCB too. In contrast, he seems absolutely natural when captaining in tests, especially the bowlers at home.

Naheed

School Boy/Girl Captain
In my opinion, Steve Smith will be remembered as one of the greatest Test players of this gen
and I have never seen any bowler who not got in confusion while bowling to this batsman.
So, my vote is for him and he is one of my favorite players too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even better than WG Grace Burgey????
It's a little known cricketing fact that Burginho hit a six which broke a window of WG Grace's home on the famous 2017 Parramatta Cricket Academy tour of England.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Root I think is finally growing into the captaincy, his juggling of England's bowlers on days 4 and 5 of the recent test was just about flawless.
I think the first time I was impressed by his captaincy was when he did extremely well in SA last time out, when we came from behind to win the series and we kept losing the guy who took the most wickets in the last test to injury.

He's certainly more flexible and intuitive than Cook was, and I find that criticism of his captaincy is usually just the standard 'not enough slips!' barking that would have been put to anyone else. Specific criticisms tend to be relatively far between which is about as much as you can ask.

I think pretty much all regular Test captains are over-criticised.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's a little known cricketing fact that Burginho hit a six which broke a window of WG Grace's home on the famous 2017 Parramatta Cricket Academy tour of England.
WG's house was also a boot factory?

Shady Slim

International Coach
I think as a Test captain Smith had something about him, ruined it by not being a big enough presence to quash the natural cheater "alpha" vibe in the barking dog Aussie mentality though.
firm disagree on this one, i was saying that he was a bad captain long before sandpapergate too.

racked up the wins at home against overmatched and underdone touring sides on highway pitches made for our bowlers and our batsmen (though conducive on the whole to terrible cricket), then went on tour and captained the exact same way as he did here, but without the conditions/natural advantages of the team to bail him out any more. didn't have a plan b for when things went wrong with plan a, unlike clarke who seemed to have good instincts and knew when to pull the trigger on funky stuff

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
firm disagree on this one, i was saying that he was a bad captain long before sandpapergate too.

racked up the wins at home against overmatched and underdone touring sides on highway pitches made for our bowlers and our batsmen (though conducive on the whole to terrible cricket), then went on tour and captained the exact same way as he did here, but without the conditions/natural advantages of the team to bail him out any more. didn't have a plan b for when things went wrong with plan a, unlike clarke who seemed to have good instincts and knew when to pull the trigger on funky stuff
Couldn't sum it up better myself, Smith was as poor a man manager as Clark but wasn't half the tactical captain he was.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I also think if he had continued it would have had a bad impact on his batting too. What he is right now is best for him and for Australia, to get the best out of him as a batsman.