• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick one of your absolute favourites who disappointed you in International cricket

DriveClub

International Regular
He was messed around by the board a bit (which West Indian player hasn't been?) but I think mostly he only has himself to blame. More than one of our fitness staff said he was lazy and didn't follow strength and conditioning programmes. Personally I think he was far more gifted than Roach, but mostly wasted his talent whereas after his serious shoulder injury Kemar has maximised his gifts.
Yeah impressive how Roach went from a150kph bowler to a 125-130kph accurate seam bowler

thierry henry

International Coach
James Franklin.
Really annoyed me this guy. Debuted just after turning 20, left arm opening bowler, tall, swung it - and was apparently a better batsman than bowler!

There were times in his career (the 2005/06 season comes to mind) where he was up around 140kph and looking like a genuine test match quality seamer...interspersed with him bowling 120kph cutters. I could never tell whether the erratic shifts in the style and speed of his bowling were deliberate or the result of inconsistent technique or fitness. It frustrated me no end that Franklin seemingly being a completely different bowler from season to season would just pass without comment. Surely the coaching staff should have been on top of this, and not just allowing one of our elite bowlers to bowl like a part-timer?

I know that he always held onto that desire to be a batsman, yet his results never matched it. I always got the impression he was just half-arsing the bowling because he wanted to be a batter. Looking back I was probably naïve and other factors were involved...but at the time I thought he had a high ceiling and he frustrated the **** outta me

Shady Slim

International Coach
Hahaha your Ingram love is blind. Not his fault? How did the selectors run scared? Or was it this you remember....

0.6 151 kph, good length from Tait, Ingram plays down the wrong line and is bowled! It just didn't seem as if he picked that one up - or any of the three... 10/1
only need to see the score at the end of that over to know it's one of the most shaun tait overs ever you love to see it

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really annoyed me this guy. Debuted just after turning 20, left arm opening bowler, tall, swung it - and was apparently a better batsman than bowler!

There were times in his career (the 2005/06 season comes to mind) where he was up around 140kph and looking like a genuine test match quality seamer...interspersed with him bowling 120kph cutters. I could never tell whether the erratic shifts in the style and speed of his bowling were deliberate or the result of inconsistent technique or fitness. It frustrated me no end that Franklin seemingly being a completely different bowler from season to season would just pass without comment. Surely the coaching staff should have been on top of this, and not just allowing one of our elite bowlers to bowl like a part-timer?

I know that he always held onto that desire to be a batsman, yet his results never matched it. I always got the impression he was just half-arsing the bowling because he wanted to be a batter. Looking back I was probably naïve and other factors were involved...but at the time I thought he had a high ceiling and he frustrated the **** outta me
Guy somehow has a test hattrick lmao

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only thing I remember James Franklin for is rocking up to the Adelaide oval and gifting Justin Langer with 2 overs of 115kph half-volleys

reckon they were 0-35 off 3 overs or something

oh and Michael Clarke leaving a ball on middle stump in the 2007 world cup

thierry henry

International Coach
Only thing I remember James Franklin for is rocking up to the Adelaide oval and gifting Justin Langer with 2 overs of 115kph half-volleys

reckon they were 0-35 off 3 overs or something
Yep, and he was only 24 years old then, so it's not like he got old and slowed down. In between times he would bowl genuinely good, brisk new ball outswing. Baffling.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
B McCullum as an ODI opener (except the 2015 CWC). He was an absolute gun T20 batsman and at times a pretty good test batsman, but struggled (relatively) in odis.

Flem274*

123/5
Corey Anderson. He could've been as good as Stokes
you're about to bring down a pile of whinging poms on you but yes, he had the most dismissive pull shot in nz since jesse ryder, the time of kane but with the planted front foot of jamie how and in his teens could bowl genuine heat before endless injuries.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah impressive how Roach went from a150kph bowler to a 125-130kph accurate seam bowler
his only gift was pace and he lost it. he's short. slow and doesn't exactly hoop it but **** me he's a good test bowler

coaches should have put their foot down during his injury rehab through 2007. you don't take 70 odd test wickets at 27 and pretend you're not one of the best bowlers 00s nz had available. someone needed to make it clear to him he wasn't a test batsmans arsehole no matter how sweetly he timed it with concrete boots and told him to bowl full tilt or get used to playing for wellington.

big mismanagement of talent, and par for the course of that era.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, as mentioned by many others, Franklin was a huge disappointment. Looked to have really cracked international cricket in 2005-2007, was even starting to show greater consistency in ODI's in his final season.

His action was always very prone to going wonky though. Big tendency to fall away in his delivery stride if his coaches weren't on point. He had a close relationship with Vaughan Johnson who seemed to get the best out of him for a while, but once Johnson moved down to Otago and began the process of ruining Jacob Duffy's nascent career, Franklin just seemed to get bored with putting the hard yards in at the bowling crease and just embraced the futile dream of a becoming a batting allrounder.

Craig McMillan was a frustrating one. The fat **** was capable of playing some sparkling innings against pretty much any bowling attack on his day (that hundred that he scored at Seddon Park to chase down 350 v Australia - albeit without McGrath - is up there with any limited overs innings I've seen), but mostly just found daft ways to get out, and then called time on his career (for understandable reasons) at 30.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Atul Sharma.
We were so desperate to see someone from India bowl 140+ clicks that we started believing the hype, Atul Sharma gave us hope. This was 10-12 years back, who would have thought that we'd find so many quick bowlers in such a short span of time. It all started with Aaron and Yadav(of course Zaheer and Srinath cold crank it up to 140ks every now and then). We had Munaf and VRV once who touched 145ks consistently, but Munaf slowed down for accuracy and VRV's fitness made him vanish from the scene.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We were so desperate to see someone from India bowl 140+ clicks that we started believing the hype, Atul Sharma gave us hope. This was 10-12 years back, who would have thought that we'd find so many quick bowlers in such a short span of time. It all started with Aaron and Yadav(of course Zaheer and Srinath cold crank it up to 140ks every now and then). We had Munaf and VRV once who touched 145ks consistently, but Munaf slowed down for accuracy and VRV's fitness made him vanish from the scene.

Sreesanth bowled properly quick a lot of times too. Swing at early 140s and late 130s most of the time.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I followed Phil Hughes career very closely, and like a lot of people was very disappointed that he did so little in tests after his awesome debut series. Was starting to look really good in ODIs though before he passed