• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm the guy in the mascot costume.

Realtalk: it's a good initiative, but I'd try to poach some up-and-coming baseball talent. Sano is also not so convenient I think, although it is cool that they actually have a proper pitch. Also notice in the promo video there isn't anyone actually playing cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
my biggest beef with the video is that it makes it seems like the number one reason to play cricket is to win an IPL contract

_00_deathscar

International Regular
my biggest beef with the video is that it makes it seems like the number one reason to play cricket is to win an IPL contract
Would be a better way in for some of the 'lesser' nations though and they can build up test credentials from there. Plus it's not like Japan have a test team at the go (or do they?) if a couple of guys do turn out to be any good - so win the IPL contract, why not?

cnerd123

likes this
Would be a better way in for some of the 'lesser' nations though and they can build up test credentials from there. Plus it's not like Japan have a test team at the go (or do they?) if a couple of guys do turn out to be any good - so win the IPL contract, why not?
well maybe I'm crazy, but I've always thought the best reason to play cricket was because it's fun.

cnerd123

likes this
Maybe I'm a romantic but I hope kids would take up the sport because it's ****ing fun to play, and not because it's a smart career move

The cricket manga that's out there kinda starts the same way too - a rejected baseball player being enticed to play cricket with the lure of a franchise T20 contract.

EDIT: But I guess it's a pragmatic way to convince parents to let their kids take up the sport seriously. It hasn't reach professional status in Japan yet, so you have to find a way to convince their parents that there is a career out there

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe I'm a romantic but I hope kids would take up the sport because it's ****ing fun to play, and not because it's a smart career move
All kids take it up because it's fun to play. Being a smart career move doesn't come into it until you've already been playing for at least a few years and turned out to be pretty good.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You've also got to remember Japan takes youth sports extremely seriously, high school baseball is one of the biggest sporting events in the country. Training is intense and takes up most of your free time. You've got to somehow attract those kids away from established sports, I don't really know if they'd go for it without some payoff at the end.