• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Josh Hazlewood vs James Anderson

Hazlewood vs Anderson

• Hazlewood

• Anderson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flem274*

123/5
Since Hazlewood's career begun in Dec 2014, he has averaged 24.32 at home and 27.04 away. In that same time, Anderson has averaged 19.08 at home and 25.88 away, with both taking just over 200 wickets.
so i went and had a look what was happening here and unsurprisingly that away average is heavily supported by smashing the west indies for 6 tests, so it's still cheat ball downhill skiing against an opponent not known for their modern batting.

credit where it's due, he did have a solid ashes and an excellent uae tour. the 2 test nz average looks nice but unfortunately i watched that series and it greatly flatters him and the 'unlucky' length. everywhere else he was terrible or meh.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
so i went and had a look what was happening here and unsurprisingly that away average is heavily supported by smashing the west indies for 6 tests, so it's still cheat ball downhill skiing against an opponent not known for their modern batting.

credit where it's due, he did have a solid ashes and an excellent uae tour. the 2 test nz average looks nice but unfortunately i watched that series and it greatly flatters him and the 'unlucky' length. everywhere else he was terrible or meh.
Has also done a lot better in SA than Hazlewood. Average of 30 there, which isn't amazing but better than Hazelwood's 39.25, and includes what I remember to be a very decent 5/40. And if we're not counting West Indies because of their lacklustre modern batting, then we must also eliminate the 12 wickets Hazelwood has taken at an average of 8 there. In which case, Anderson still comes out on top overall I'd imagine. In fact, If we do that, then the only place Hazlewood averages less than 30 away from home is England.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
anderson isn't trash, he's an excellent swing bowler in home conditions and has had a few very good away series, but the true test of a swing bowler is using the kookaburra and he averages 33 with it. that's middling.

the duke ruins english cricket by turning every domestic 115-120kph trundler into a county demon and ensuring the english are more disadvantaged bowling away from home.

i just can't take the atg chat seriously. hazlewood is obviously the better all conditions bowler.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
anderson isn't trash, he's an excellent swing bowler in home conditions and has had a few very good away series, but the true test of a swing bowler is using the kookaburra and he averages 33 with it. that's middling.

the duke ruins english cricket by turning every domestic 115-120kph trundler into a county demon and ensuring the english are more disadvantaged bowling away from home.

i just can't take the atg chat seriously. hazlewood is obviously the better all conditions bowler.
Tbf, I've taken out Anderson's performances in England and West Indies in the last 6 years, where the Duke Ball is used, and if I've entered this properly into statsguru then he has averaged 28.38 with the kookaburra/SG ball. While he is significantly better with the Dukes, its not like he's been consistently poor with the Kookaburra either. I don't see how Hazlewood is 'obviously' the better all conditions bowler if he has not objectively performed better in all conditions. I think if Hazlewood continues like he is and gets 400+ he'll probably have the better overall career, but from what I can measure, Anderson has pretty much been the better performer throughout Hazelwood's entire career thus far.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Got to say some of the Anderson bashing on CW is getting a bit tiresome. Probably most of it is in jest and good-natured, due to how ridiculously good he is in home conditions, but feel like its run its course tbh. He's a phenomenal bowler who is without question an ATG, and the perception that he's suddenly this ordinary bowler when he departs England is low-key pretty insulting

Just my two cents

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, I think that's as much the fault of a domestic structure with 16 teams in it, allowing some very mediocre bowlers to take wickets against some very mediocre batsmen.

DriveClub

International Regular
Got to say some of the Anderson bashing on CW is getting a bit tiresome. Probably most of it is in jest and good-natured, due to how ridiculously good he is in home conditions, but feel like its run its course tbh. He's a phenomenal bowler who is without question an ATG, and the perception that he's suddenly this ordinary bowler when he departs England is low-key pretty insulting

Just my two cents
How about I give my five cents? Is it more valuable?

DriveClub

International Regular
Yeah surprised English domestic comp hasn't been restructured better. Their system really doesn't look like a proper feeder for international cricket.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha my opinion's no more valuable tbh. It seems to be that nearly every thread has the standard quota of 'Anderson sucks in Asia, Aus' posts.
Nothing major, just feel it devalues the forum at times

EDIT : @DriveClub

Reactions: vcs

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
On topic, Anderson the better bowler when the ball is swinging, Hazlewood the better bowler when it's gun-barrell. Given that Anderson has usually found at least some swing pretty much everywhere he's played, for me he narrowly shades it.

Flem274*

123/5
I've said it before and I will say it again, cricket is a far better game without dibbly dobblers in it
i really enjoy a good one, but when they're just capitalising on circumstances game after game it hurts a fc structure. colin de grandhomme's bowling is great fun but only having 10 colin de grandhommes to choose from is not fun.