• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd ODI at Canberra, 2 Dec 2020

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Steve Waugh was a test match failure for a long long time. And a *****ing cheat to add to that. In fact, he was averaging 36 with the bat until the end of his 8th year after debut. Yes, 8 years and 46 tests. Australia obviously saw something good in him at that stage, persisted with him and it paid rich dividends.

Iyer hasn't even made his test debut and people are calling him out as if he has been a long term failure.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really like this ****oo land that @stephen and @TheJediBrah inhabit when the slightest fact that shows something wrong with Aussie cricketers is brought up... :laugh:

"never troubled" indeed........

You're saying that Steve Waugh, a guy who averaged 50 across a huge career playing a large amount of his tests against Ambrose, Walsh, Donald and even Marshall was troubled by the short ball? Fmd, the guy averaged 53 in the 90s, the second highest behind Tendulkar.

Iyer was clearly troubled by the short ball both from fast bowlers and Moises Henriques.

To put these two batsmen anywhere near the same conversation is completely deluded, no matter how many emoticons you add.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You're saying that Steve Waugh, a guy who averaged 50 across a huge career playing a large amount of his tests against Ambrose, Walsh, Donald and even Marshall was troubled by the short ball? Fmd, the guy averaged 53 in the 90s, the second highest behind Tendulkar.

Iyer was clearly troubled by the short ball both from fast bowlers and Moises Henriques.

To put these two batsmen anywhere near the same conversation is completely deluded, no matter how many emoticons you add.

:laugh: Have a look at that shot mate, then speak. And yes, Steve Waugh did forge a career averaging 50 in tests while being uncomfortable against the short ball. That shows how good he was actually to be able to do so well inspite of that. And yes, Steve Waugh was actually dropped for being poor and actually figured out that he was having trouble with the short ball, decided to never play any shot at it unless it was absolutely necessary, recalibrated his game towards that end and succeeded. Shreyas played two horrible shots to the fast bouncer, two. Lets wait a year before we pass judgements, at the very least?

And honestly, what is deluded is to conclude how a player will go based on about 8 balls he faced in a random JAMODI series in the year of a pandemic where so little cricket has actually been played.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waugh wasn't dropped because he couldn't play the short ball. He was dropped because he was picked well before he was ready because the stocks were so thin.

And yes, I'll judge a batsman who gets out so awfully to the short ball regardless of the circumstances. That's a player who won't succeed long term, particularly in tests until he can get it sorted.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Waugh wasn't dropped because he couldn't play the short ball. He was dropped because he was picked well before he was ready because the stocks were so thin.

And yes, I'll judge a batsman who gets out so awfully to the short ball regardless of the circumstances. That's a player who won't succeed long term, particularly in tests until he can get it sorted.
It will make sense if we are talking about him playing tests. He is not even in the squad, FFS. And yes, the point is everyone looks awful when they get out to a bouncer from time to time. But a guy this young in his career cannot be judged so quickly. You can judge away all you want and I hope the Aussie team thinks he can be easily bounced out too, tbh. It will just mean he is that much more likely to succeed against them when they rock up to bowl to him with no plan B.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Waugh wasn't dropped because he couldn't play the short ball.
Where did I say that? He was dropped coz he was poor. He identified his play against the short ball as one of his weaknesses and found a way to work around it. A short ball weakness does not mean you keep getting out to the short ball, btw. Ganguly hardly ever got out to a short ball either. As Spark pointed out, it messes with your head and you end playing the regular or full balls poorly. I certainly dont think Shreyas will go down that path, at least in the long term.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Waugh was prepared to take short balls he deemed a risk on his body. I believe that hints at a technical glitch, because you shouldn't have to do that time and again, but not sure if it can be called indecisiveness either...more like he was actively preempting a threat to his wicket by any means necessary. Muddy area.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Waugh could play the short ball very comfortably. He just didn't hook and pull.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd even say he was one of the best "players" of the short ball in the world during the 90s. It's one reason why he was so good against the West Indies.

(I use inverted commas because he didn't really directly play it much at all, but he didn't tend to get out to it which is the whole point of what we're talking about isn't it?)

Victor Ian

International Coach
Sorry, but HB is the winner here. Two games ffs! Steve Waugh WAS **** against the short ball, but he became superman by deciding not to play them and take them on the body. Iyas's might play the short ball better when scoreboard pressure is not requiring him to hit it for 6.
How do you pronounce Shreyas. At the moment I am saying it like I say 'Australia's' when i am drunk.

TheJediBrah

HB (and everyone else) is definitely right about Shreyas. You can't judge **** from 2 games. But look how this started, Burgey trolling Indian posters v 846767 and they bite every ****ing time.

Burgey

It's a gift. The greats just get it done.

Mind you, I do think he's ****ing terrible against it. That periscope in the first game should really have ended his career.

Burgey

The "I was just trolling" excuse after being wrong..... V88978732 :laugh:
Lol as though I am wrong about this. Or anything much, come to that. Iyer should have his papers marked. Terrible. Genuinely c. Fear b. Trepidation against anything above waist height.