• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Why did Auckland elect to bat first, I wonder. Surely their best batting suits the 370/5 sort of traditional day 4 chase at Eden Outer, not the green-tinged hardship of day 1.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hopelessly loose stroke from Allen straight after the break to a ball that was way too wide and nowhere near full enough to drive on that kind of track. At what point do we start getting worried about his lack of progress?

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I do wonder who Conway would've recruited from South Africa's semi-pro stuff to be Wgtn's big stoic rock that all these other pretty little moons orbit around. It would've been interesting to talk to him about.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
The nzc website home page redirects you the useless cricket nation page.

So either click the 'visit full site' button.
or the link I posted above
That cricket nation homepage has to be one of the worst opening pages for a sports organisation in the world. Wonder how many people give up before clicking through to the main site.

The Hutt Rec

Wellington have put the cue in the rack for the next decade after winning the Plunket Shield last season ... bring back Papps and Woodcock, this batting line up needs some starch!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
"Enough with washed up journeymen. Wellington needs to start putting its stock in youth and home grown talent" demanded the Flems and the Bahnzs of the world.

Be careful what you wish for.

Haha, I love the way McPeake shuffles about a meter to his right after getting struck on the pad and then has the cheek to look back at the umpire in disbelief after being given out.

vandem

International 12th Man
Hopelessly loose stroke from Allen straight after the break to a ball that was way too wide and nowhere near full enough to drive on that kind of track. At what point do we start getting worried about his lack of progress?
Wait until the end of the season. He is only 21. 11th FC game.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
For all his flaws as a batsman, the laconic style of CdG's strokeplay is such a joy to watch. We've been missing that kind of big dick energy from the Plunket Shield ever since Jesse was retired.

Last edited:

nzfan

Just checked the scores... Firebirds, no show with the bat again. I was super excited about the top 3 but they haven't really fired barring one knock from Conway. I'm not so sure about these pitches anymore particularly when the international season is just round the corner. By the time it starts our opening batters may be so out of form it may mess them up. Tom Blundell's form is crucial for us. Hope we get couple of decent decks for the batters to also play a long knock or two. The bowlers may go in with false sense of security and the international decks are nowhere close to this so they may end up not bowling all that well.

As a firebirds supporter I'm not so worried about the top three, they are quality and will catch up soon but the middle order looks very brittle. I don't see us making much of a progress unless Ravindra fires in every game like he did last season. Conway and Blundell will soon disappear leaving our batting real weak.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I note Young played the inwards shape of new ball Ferns and Solia about as well as he played Neesham's shape last season.

Why did Auckland elect to bat first, I wonder. Surely their best batting suits the 370/5 sort of traditional day 4 chase at Eden Outer, not the green-tinged hardship of day 1.
Overcast and swing in the air in warm-ups too, apparently! Just a case where they really lacked a slightly negative bubble-bursting voice in the camp, too many Laura types walking around thinking 'Marty to be back in Tests soon, Chapman and Horne also for Tests!'.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Was a bit gutted I had to go back to work before Sears came on, looks like a good watch.

Probably a delayed start this morning, trust a cricket match to bring rain when it's hardly rained in months

thierry henry

International Coach
Just watching the wicket highlights from yesterday, is it just the camera angle or was that Chapman LBW miiiiles too high?

I'm suspicious because watching live yesterday Bracewell vociferously appealed for several other lbws that looked miles too high as well

thierry henry

International Coach
The replay from behind makes it look like an off-spinner. Hard to tell exactly how much was swing and how much seam though.