• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Women's T20 World Cup 2020

Spark

Global Moderator
Aus vs India at the MCG is going to absolutely annihilate the crowd size record for a women's cricket match, right?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they had sold 60k tickets before tonight’s result so they’ll go close to cracking the ton. Victorians will turn up to the opening of an envelope

Spark

Global Moderator
I think they had sold 60k tickets before tonight’s result so they’ll go close to cracking the ton. Victorians will turn up to the opening of an envelope
Yeah this'll honestly be like absolutely nothing any of these players have experienced before. Might get close to 2015 size.

cnerd123

likes this
D/L targets are based on the score itself though. If going at just under 7 an over for 20 overs is reasonable (and it is by definition of it having been done), then going just over 7 an over for 13 overs is perfectly fine.
Isn't the D/L algorithm based on a database of past innings in order to derive scoring patterns?

If so, I don't think men's T20 scores should be used for the women's D/L algorithm too. But that might already be the case for all we know.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't the D/L algorithm based on a database of past innings in order to derive scoring patterns?

If so, I don't think men's T20 scores should be used for the women's D/L algorithm too. But that might already be the case for all we know.
Yes. Based on competition level as well I think. Even been adjusted for T20 vs ODI's etc. I am sure that the DL is based of the womans game.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
D/L targets are based on the score itself though. If going at just under 7 an over for 20 overs is reasonable (and it is by definition of it having been done), then going just over 7 an over for 13 overs is perfectly fine.
We can argue in hypotheticals. Better to just start basing it on women's games, no questions need to be asked then.

Burgey

I don’t know why though, when a substantial input into the equation is the target set by the batting side, themselves women? SA got within five (disappointed, as I exclusively predicted an eight run margin at the innings break). It’s not suggestive of an unrealistic target being set at all.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played, great to get through. South Africa do seem a team on the rise though, the fact that it was the younger players in Wolvaardt and NDK starring for them augers well for the future

Onwards to Melbourne. Hopefully.

TheJediBrah

Why would the accuracy of duckworth lewis change because of the gender of the players? Can't figure that one out

juro

U19 12th Man
I would assume:

- Given there is less women's cricket than men's cricket,
- There is less data on which to derive the D/L score,
- There is less accuracy in the D/L calculations

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The two biggest inputs to the D/L system are runs and wickets. One would therefore imagine that the run rate difference between men's and women's cricket is already accounted for by the system. I can't imagine that the D/L target would have been much different at all if it was derived only from women's cricket data.

TheJediBrah

The two biggest inputs to the D/L system are runs and wickets. One would therefore imagine that the run rate difference between men's and women's cricket is already accounted for by the system. I can't imagine that the D/L target would have been much different at all if it was derived only from women's cricket data.
Exactly. We use the same D/L system regardless of pitch conditions, which vary greatly in men's cricket. It makes no sense that D/L should be different in womens cricket because of any factors that differentiate it from men's cricket

cnerd123

likes this
I know CHK has had this conversation with CricHQ regarding their DLS system on their scoring app - some HK based mathematicians/scientists offered to help collate date for the algorithm so that we have different DLS calculations for different age groups and mens/womens cricket. The scoring patterns in Men's T20 does not match those of U13 T20 or Women's T20. For example - a men's team starting on 60/0 in 6 overs could likely post 200 in men's cricket. The odds of U13s or Women's posting 200 after the same start is significantly less, because in those leagues a 60/0 start is a freakishly good one, akin to a 90/0 in men's T20.

What some of you seem to be unware of is that DLS calculation is not some sort of progression algorithm which assumes a team will continue on at the same rate that it started. It uses past results to determine a likely outcome:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/19577040/how-duckworth-lewis-stern-method-works
The rate at which these resources deplete isn't uniform across the overs, but varies depending on the scoring patterns of ODIs (calculated from studying matches over several years). At any point, the resources lost due to an interruption depends on:

- number of overs lost
- stage of an innings when the overs are lost
- wickets in hand at the time of the interruption
This is why you should have different DLS systems for Women's, Juniors, and I would argue even Associate cricket. The scoring patterns are not the same at all.

But, as StephenZA has pointed out, this is probably already being done. I have played around with the ICC DLS 3 software and they do have different algorithms for 50/45/40/20 over cricket, but i don't recall seeing a different algorithm for women's or junior cricket.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
the scoring patterns are different, yeah. fewer players that can go big means a score of 150 gets achieved in a different way than a score of 150 in men's cricket would. yes pitch conditions affect this too but good luck trying to quantify the effects 'bounce' and 'boundary size' in a way that a mathematical model is happy with and gives you sensible results (you can do it, but is it really worth your time?)