• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

vandem

International 12th Man
...I hope we play a proper 3 test series at the very least next time we tour here with a couple of practice games thrown in. Would also help if we split up the LO tour and the test tour to seperate years, I feel.
The India "A" / India red ball warmup games were MUCH better (number of games, strength of opposition) than what NZers normally get when touring.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Quite a fascinating series even though NZ won comfortably in the end. Wonder if we'll ever see a three test series between these sides in NZ thanks to the unsuitability of timings for the Indian viewer, which is a damn shame.

2-0 doesn't reflect the closeness of the sides but India couldn't quite piece it together whether it was deciding on the composition of the lineup, figuring out the right length to bowl and as Kohli said possibly being a little overawed by the conditions. Couple of mitigating factors in losing the toss in both games (don't know f it would have made a ton of difference TBH) and badly missing the likes of Ishant (second test where the conditions would've suited him to the ground), Pandya, and Rohit (heh). Agree that they were let down by the captain and vice captain though, Kohli chose an unfortunate time to struggle while Rahane has regressed. Bowling was very good without being consistently good enough to match NZ.

Important win for NZ, they really needed to restore their standing after the Australia tour. As has been said the batting is quite suspect and was bailed out by Jaimeson and the lower order. Will be interesting to see what the immediate future holds for Taylor and Nicholls given Young, Conway and others have been waiting in the wings for long. The bowling was exemplary, the best I've seen Southee and Boult bowl in a long time. Ironically, Wagner missing the first test was a good thing, allowed Jaimeson to come in and stamp his authority right away. Wonder if it might just be prudent to rest KW for the Aussie ODIs as he's in dire need of a break, but I suppose NZ need to put their best foot forward given opportunities to play Australia are even rarer than India. Overall, full marks for upstaging a tough opponent at home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Genuinely don’t understand how you think dropping a batsman is the solution after looking at scores of 190, 160, 240 and 130.
Coz those will be the scores no matter whom we pick and we have seen it for ages. Right now we at least have a fast bowling attack that can win us games, lets give them the best chance to do that. And who knows, maybe the average score can be 250 with that set up instead of the 175 it seems to be now. You will never know until you try but I feel it is what we need to do in order to play to our strengths. Cricket is a mental game as much as it is physical and maybe the same batters (minus the extra one) will bat a lot better when our bowlers are able to bowl the opposition out for the same score a lot more often.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah they'll face less lateral movement in Australia but they were also crap against the short ball including Kohli. That'll be ruthlessly exposed by Australia's attack.

Nah.. I don't think Rohit Kohli or even Pujara will be crap against the short ball. Maybe not Pant too. Crap against short ball on a pitch with spongy bounce and uneven pace does not mean crap against the short ball on a hard wicket with true bounce. And even in NZ, I don't think Kohli Rohit or Pujara will ever be at the crap level against the short ball, and even Pant for that matter. The worries are Rahane and Mayank. Hopefully they can work the **** out about their technique before the end of the year which is when the next series for us is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The India "A" / India red ball warmup games were MUCH better (number of games, strength of opposition) than what NZers normally get when touring.
Lol.. our red ball warm up game this series was an absolute joke. Just the same level as what every other team gives to their tourists, including India. But the A games pitches seem to be rather different to the ones we seem to get for internationals. It may well be due to different venues etc. But my point is we should schedule actual senior team tours to NZ more often than just sending the A side and hoping our side will be better prepared due to that. If we play there for at least 3 test series once every 4 years, I feel our guys will get much better instead of going there once in 5 years as we seem to do now, that too for just a couple of tests.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was atleast nice to see the bowlers improve and keep India in the game after a subpar first innings total. Shami and bumrah were way improved from the first test even though they did at times bowl short, and Umesh was far better than anyone hoped...showed he can keep the runs down when not picking up wickets which shows a bit of growth from his previous overseas performances. Even Ashwin and Jadeja did OK. Probably the only minor positive from the series.

The batting was quite simply putrid. And this is unlike the tours in 2018 when the openers were horrible and gave the middle order zero protection from the new ball. The openers looked pretty bad but ultimately they did each have one innings where they made a few runs, so it was disappointing seeing the middle order fail to do anything meaningful. And I love the guy but if Pujara is the batsman who looks more comfortable at any point than the others in seaming conditions then there's a serious problem. There's no solution to this other than they have to somehow git gud in these conditions.

vandem

International 12th Man
Lol.. our red ball warm up game this series was an absolute joke..
Disagree.

The seam attack faced by India A and India in the warmup game was a good selection of FC seamers, including Duffy + Kuggeleijn + Tickner who would probably be the test attack with Ferguson if the current test seamers were not available, They were good enough to bowl out India A for 216 and India for 263.

Perhaps the ducks scored by Agarwal and Shaw were an accurate reflection of their form, rather than being an "absolute joke"?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Disagree.

The seam attack faced by India A and India in the warmup game was a good selection of FC seamers, including Duffy + Kuggeleijn + Tickner who would probably be the test attack with Ferguson if the current test seamers were not available, They were good enough to bowl out India A for 216 and India for 263.

Perhaps the ducks scored by Agarwal and Shaw were an accurate reflection of their form, rather than being an "absolute joke"?

And what was their second innings runs then? And games are not just about selection, its also about the pitch and the intensity of the game itself. I am not blaming NZC here by the way. Its the same everywhere. I am just blaming the BCCI for not scheduling more tests and test series against NZ in NZ. In an ideal world, I would like to see the Indian side have a tour of one of the SENA countries every year. And each of these tours be at least 3 tests long, if not more. And ideally, play the test series in a seperate year and the LO series in a seperate year. Something like this might well work:

Year 1: Tour of Aus (4 tests) Tour of NZ (5 ODIs and 5 T20Is)
Year 2: Tour of RSA (4 tests) Tour of Aus (5 ODIs and 5 T20Is)
Year 3: Tour of Eng (5 tests) Tour of NZ (5 ODIs and 5 T20Is)
Year 4: Tour of NZ (4 tests) Tour of Eng (5 ODIs and 5 T20Is)

We can figure out the other tours and home series around this calendar, assuming every April and May is blocked for IPL.

slippy888

International Captain
But i need to be honest New Zealand should not get away with only playing 40 tests to get to the final of the world test championship while everyone else play 55 tests

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The Indian top 6 could all come and play in the Super Smash and a bit of club stuff or Hawke Cup each year. They might earn slightly less than the IPL but it would help them whenever they tour here.

cnerd123

likes this
what's with the accusatory tone towards NZ as thought they've pulled off some master scheme to get an easier looking schedule for the WTC? Who do you think sits at the head of the table when these schedules are decided?

The Big 3 only care about money and decided to short-change NZ and toss them the scraps of the series they didn't want to play. I am all for that coming back to bite them in the ass.

cnerd123

likes this
The Indian top 6 could all come and play in the Super Smash and a bit of club stuff or Hawke Cup each year. They might earn slightly less than the IPL but it would help them whenever they tour here.
the BCCI literally does not allow it's cricketers to play in foreign domestic tournaments. They've only ever made exceptions for county cricket. It's pretty ridiculous.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The only way an NZ v India 3 test series will ever happen is if the BCCI warms up to day-night tests and Hagley Park and the Basin get their council permits for spotlight upgrades.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. I believe Ganguly is capable of more sanity than that. Good cricket is good cricket. And air time is air time. Even if the test has to start at 3:30 AM, as long as you can have highlights packages and analysis shows all evening on that, its good for the broadcaster. And don't forget NZ is one of the very few countries whose cricket Star gets to air in India. Star being the official broadcasting partner for the BCCI will have their own say on such things, I am sure.

slippy888

International Captain
I am worried about the schedule for India considering in March is there last international match going into the world 20 20 tournament wont they be under cooked like say as a team unit going into that tournament. Ipl will take out a good 2 months of this year then no international cricket it crazy unreal who comes up with these ideas.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I am worried about the schedule for India considering in March is there last international match going into the world 20 20 tournament wont they be under cooked like say as a team unit going into that tournament. Ipl will take out a good 2 months of this year then no international cricket it crazy real who comes up with these ideas.
the BCCI