• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So Linde has just taken 6, granted it was against the Dolphins but still... wonder when he may start putting real pressure on Maharaj?

MrPrez

International Debutant
So Linde has just taken 6, granted it was against the Dolphins but still... wonder when he may start putting real pressure on Maharaj?
Not for a while imo - Keshav has performed better than any other spinner since readmission so I really don't see him getting the sack unless he has an extended and markedly poor run.

His skin colour will further help him, too.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Opener-wise, I'm probably in the minority in my support of giving Janneman a push.

I know he's got his issues but his sheer volume of runs and his conversion rates at such a young age are hugely enticing to me.

I don't see Moore as a long-term 40+-averaging player, whereas Janneman Malan definitiely has that up-side. Moore feels like a good FC player who will be a solid but unspectacular Test batsman.

Now in fairness we could use that in our current context but I'm more inclined to build for the future rather than try bandage current issues.

SeamUp

International Coach
Opener-wise, I'm probably in the minority in my support of giving Janneman a push.

I know he's got his issues but his sheer volume of runs and his conversion rates at such a young age are hugely enticing to me.

I don't see Moore as a long-term 40+-averaging player, whereas Janneman Malan definitiely has that up-side. Moore feels like a good FC player who will be a solid but unspectacular Test batsman.

Now in fairness we could use that in our current context but I'm more inclined to build for the future rather than try bandage current issues.
Despite this pitch having no demons now it is Pieter Malan's position to lose first.

For Janneman , I think we should get him into the white ball game first. He should be in the limited overs squads v England but I worry they will go with Bavuma/R.Hendricks over him in the 50-over side.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Just wondering about Pieter Malan. I think his franchise average is something like 36, but that's for his whole career, right? He's been scoring runs for the Cobras, so what's his average in recent years?

I'm still don't think he was the best pick for the test side, and his poor record for South Africa A definitely counts against him. But could that 36 be as a result of a very poor start to his career and we're perhaps judging him a bit too harshly? Although I take that all back if his recent average is still in the same ballpark.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just wondering about Pieter Malan. I think his franchise average is something like 36, but that's for his whole career, right? He's been scoring runs for the Cobras, so what's his average in recent years?

I'm still don't think he was the best pick for the test side, and his poor record for South Africa A definitely counts against him. But could that 36 be as a result of a very poor start to his career and we're perhaps judging him a bit too harshly? Although I take that all back if his recent average is still in the same ballpark.
No, you right - it was his poor start for the Titans. Averages about 45 for the Cobras which is decent.

But I mean you get 5 opportunities for the A side with a highest score of 34 and average 7 there has to be doubts.

Whilst this is a forward step he can't go averaging 25 after this. Cook started well but he was a bit older and then faded. Can say the same Alviro. Pieter must prove that won't happen.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My big thing is if we find another opener, and van Tonder continues to do well. It means that Markram could come in at 4 like I want! Also why I want Moore continuing to boss it.

Dendarii

International Debutant
But I mean you get 5 opportunities for the A side with a highest score of 34 and average 7 there has to be doubts.
Absolutely. That's part of why I'm not convinced he's the best selection. I was just curious as to whether he'd had a bit of a late career resurgence to mean that he wasn't a completely terrible selection either.

And to his credit, a 50 as part a 4th innings attempt to save the match after being out cheaply first time around is not to be sniffed at.

SeamUp

International Coach
Absolutely. That's part of why I'm not convinced he's the best selection. I was just curious as to whether he'd had a bit of a late career resurgence to mean that he wasn't a completely terrible selection either.

And to his credit, a 50 as part a 4th innings attempt to save the match after being out cheaply first time around is not to be sniffed at.
100%

It's not easy but it is important to make the right gut-calls when you deciding between players. I think now that Pieter has the chance he deserves 10 test matches to stake his claim. Just say he doesn't prove it was right we could be delaying getting to the right option.

SeamUp

International Coach
Some senior batsmen let us down with dismissals. See Elgar, Faf, QdK

Philander wasn't threatening on a slow non-seaming wicket.

I would hope they seriously considering dropping Pretorius to strengthen our batting but 5 bowlers has worked well.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Pretorius has no purpose within this team, while he has taken a few wickets it is not something any of the other bowlers couldn't have done if bowling. Yes, helps keep the overs out of the legs of the main bowlers but so does batting for more than a day. I would not mind Keegan and/or Second getting a shot for the PE match. I am still uncertain regards Rassie. Malan looks a decent solid opener.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Wiaan Mulder needs to get fit.
Don't think he would get selected at the moment anyways. It is obvious that they want players with decent FC experience. I think the they have mentioned giving the younger guys a chance to prove themselves in the ODI's etc.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Pretorius stays in the side as he isn't good enough. Genuine wholehearted player but not up to it. Saffers need a better option than him.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Maharaj has looked pretty meh for a while now. I wouldn't drop him, but he doesn't seem to get enough purchase off the wicket. Would be brave to pick either Linde/Muthusamy but might not necessarily be the wrong call

Bahseph

State Captain
The comms were going on about Philander refusing a single in a Bess over that "exposed" Hulk to Stokes. Look, when you are averaging nearly 40 in FC cricket you can't be protected by Philander. If he is there to provide batting then he isn't doing it.

Mulder might be the ideal player that we all have in mind but they aren't going to him any time soon by the looks of it(injuries and lack of games). The other options are:
Phehlukwayo: Who hasn't proved he can bat 7 in FC cricket and isn't as accurate as Hulk imo.
Linde: Bowling is his primary suit and I don't know if he is a Test match number 7. Probably too similar to Kesh as a bowler anyway.
Muthusamy : The best batsman from these three but his bowling was exposed in India. Also similar to Kesh.

I just think it's time to pick another Batsman, or have the guts to pick another bowler and bat Vern at 7,which they already are doing.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The comms were going on about Philander refusing a single in a Bess over that "exposed" Hulk to Stokes. Look, when you are averaging nearly 40 in FC cricket you can't be protected by Philander. If he is there to provide batting then he isn't doing it.
And in the first test Pretorius batted ahead of Philander...

There might have been a case for Philander being the batsman who was already in, but he'd spent his entire innings facing Bess, so it's not as though he would necessarily have been able to handle Stokes any better.

Mulder might be the ideal player that we all have in mind but they aren't going to him any time soon by the looks of it(injuries and lack of games). The other options are:
Phehlukwayo: Who hasn't proved he can bat 7 in FC cricket and isn't as accurate as Hulk imo.
Linde: Bowling is his primary suit and I don't know if he is a Test match number 7. Probably too similar to Kesh as a bowler anyway.
Muthusamy : The best batsman from these three but his bowling was exposed in India. Also similar to Kesh.
I'll throw into the mix two other names, even though I don't think either of them is ready at the moment.
Jason Smith - he's been batting well this season, but probably needs another season to prove his consistency
Dayyaan Galiem - he struggled to establish himself at the Cobras and is only now getting a regular spot since his move to the Titans, and his figures with them so far don't really justify his selection, so needs at least another season before he can start coming into contention.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Smith has avg over 50 last season and this season. And Andile scored a 70 yesterday in a failing Dolphins line-up. Not to sure either are the solution though. And I think Linde is probably a better bowler than Maharaj at the moment, think Maharaj has his confidence knocked by Gibsons tenure and performance in India.