• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Flem274*

123/5
I hear ya but I feel taking a free flowing batsman and opening with him will put him under immense pressure to block. I saw some of the clips of him vs Archer/Broad in the warm up game he was pulling, back foot punching, even straight driving Archer down the ground of good length a ball most will defend. I seriously think he will have to sacrifice his flow and block forever playing in NZ conditions as an opener. Young is more patient and has far less shots than Ravindra. Also more experienced. We need an opener like Richardson, Jeet Raval, John Wright etc for home conditions... I can't remember we have ever had an opener that was flamboyant. Probably Fleming opened for a little while and then gave up as well.
you're overanalysing

rachin can be free flowing in tests if he likes. look at this deck, he'd love a shield game on it.

our domestic game, despite it's meme nature, does mirror nz home test demands quite well. it's why we're ok at home now usually rather than abject. that's why most players we've brought into the test side this decade have contributed.

with this in mind, rachin will be fine if he's good enough. we don't need to pull any john bracewell moves and screw with two talented players.

young is also a pretty free flowing batsman. kane-lite.

ataraxia

International Coach
Nah Mitchell is ahead of them now, and would bat ahead of Colin to allow Colin to just tee off.

1 Latham
2 Tastle
3 Williamson
4 Taylor
5 Nicholls
6 Watling
7 Mitchell
8 Lord Colin
9 Southee
10 Wagner
11 Boult

Lets do it. Martin Guptill, head of the Todd Astle Opening Batting Appreciation Society, would absolutely approve.
After Ross goes:

Latham
Tastle
Williamson
Nicholls
Conway
Watling
de Grandhomme
Young
Wagner
Boult
Ferguson

Think Conway, Watling, and CDG are better equipped to bat in their positions than Young. Still the best option at 8 though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
you do know who will young is right?
I think he does. When Tastle is opening, #8 is a bit of a different position than usual.

But still, that's absolutely asking for 20* from the guyu. I memed up in my last post with Tastle opening when Mitchell and Colin were 7 and 8 but in his lineup Young himself or Conway (who was just as much as opener as a #3 before he moved to NZ) opening would make a lot more sense.

ataraxia

International Coach
You guys have no sense of sarcasm. Yeah Young is a No. 3. Revised:

Williamson
Tastle
Young
Conway
Latham
Nicholls
Watling
CDG

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You guys have no sense of sarcasm. Yeah Young is a No. 3. Revised:

Williamson
Tastle
Young
Conway
Latham
Nicholls
Watling
CDG
"Tastle opening" posts always cut a fine line on the sarcasm stakes because I portary it as a meme but I might actually do it if you gave me dictatorial reign over the side.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Root coming good. Scant chance of a result probably. Been a good series, especially compared to the one sided contest between AUS and PAK. Both games had their intrigue.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prising out 2nd innings wickets is bloody hard work in New Zealand. Reckon NZ will be safe if these two see out the opening burst tomorrow and bat till lunch.

Last edited:

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
I'm not sure what the comments were at the time, if there were any, though is anyone else amazed that ground security are expected to keep an eye on the crowd and not the ball?

It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Williamson and Taylor have moved to 55 50+ partnerships in all Test/ODI/T20I stats combined. 9th on the all time list.

98 - Jayawardene & Sangakkara
83 - Ganguly & Tendulkar
82 - Greenidge & Haynes
74 - Dravid & Tendulkar
73 - Atapattu & Jayasuriya
63 - Hayden & Ponting
57 - Dilshan & Sangakkara
57 - Haynes & Richardson
55 - Taylor & Williamson
53 = - Gambhir & Sehwag + Inzamam & Yousuf

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
After Ross goes:

Latham
Tastle
Williamson
Nicholls
Conway
Watling
de Grandhomme
Young
Wagner
Boult
Ferguson

Think Conway, Watling, and CDG are better equipped to bat in their positions than Young. Still the best option at 8 though.

Simming this in ICC for the lols.

Game 1: NZ 205 (Astle 20, Young 35*) and 432 (Astle 20, Young 27) defeated Sri Lanka 263 (Astle 2/17) and 235 (Astle 1/10) by 139 runs.
Game 2: NZ 294 (Astle 8, Young 85) and 265 (Astle 2, Young 54*) defeated Sri Lanka 307 (Astle 1/19) and 227 (Astle 0/21) by 5 runs.

Game 3:England 285 (Astle 0/4) and 3/166 (Astle DNB) def. NZ 199 (Astle 1, Young 6) and 248 (Astle 4, Young 5) by 7 wickets.
Game 4: New Zealand 261 (Astle 13, Young 68*) and 4/55 (Astle 4) def. England 126 (Astle DNB) and 189 (Astle 0/17) by 6 wickets.

Game 5: Australia 512 (Astle 0/26) and 0/25 (Astle DNB) def. New Zealand 222 (Astle 19, Young 29*) and 313 (Astle 3, Young 29) by 10 wickets.
Game 6: New Zealand 226 (Astle 9, Young 5) and 467 (Astle 23, Young 36) def. Australia 246 (Astle 1/19) and 273 (Astle 0/34) by 174 runs.
Game 7: Australia 269 (Astle 0/24) and 298 (Astle 0/12) def. New Zealand 311 (Astle 12, Young 8) and 106 (Astle 20, Young 26) by 150 runs.

Game 8: India 218 (Astle 0/42) and 4/332 (Astle 0/22) def. New Zealand 274 (Astle 8, Young 22) and 272 (Astle 4, Young 22) by 6 wickets.
Game 9: India 402 (Astle 0/6) def. New Zealand 154 (Astle 0, Young 12) and 184 (Astle 0, Young 33) by an innings and 64 runs.

So for those playing at home, here's the stats after a full year.

Highlights:
  • Astle peaking early with a pair of 20s and handy wickets in Sri Lanka
  • Young spending half of his SL tour getting stranded, and engine-rooming a 156 run stand for the 7th wicket with Lord Colin
  • Neil Wagner rolling England with 12/90 in the Second Test
  • New Zealand winning the New Year's Test in Adelaide (???) literally only because of Tom Latham (92 and 210)
  • Captain Kane refusing to bowl Tastle even as Kuldeep and Markande (???) took 19 wickets across two Tests in NZ.
  • Bumrah (5 @ 54.60) being comfortably outbowled by Virat (4 @ 5.00) for the series
  • Shaw carrying his bat for 252* in his second Test back from that drugs ban

I also had to reset the game twice (before the first series and after the Australia series) because Tastle decided he didn't like this idea. I see through your broken finger and four week hamstring injury, Tastle!

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simming this in ICC for the lols.

Game 1: NZ 205 (Astle 20, Young 35*) and 432 (Astle 20, Young 27) defeated Sri Lanka 263 (Astle 2/17) and 235 (Astle 1/10) by 139 runs.
Game 2: NZ 294 (Astle 8, Young 85) and 265 (Astle 2, Young 54*) defeated Sri Lanka 307 (Astle 1/19) and 227 (Astle 0/21) by 5 runs.

Game 3:England 285 (Astle 0/4) and 3/166 (Astle DNB) def. NZ 199 (Astle 1, Young 6) and 248 (Astle 4, Young 5) by 7 wickets.
Game 4: New Zealand 261 (Astle 13, Young 68*) and 4/55 (Astle 4) def. England 126 (Astle DNB) and 189 (Astle 0/17) by 6 wickets.

Game 5: Australia 512 (Astle 0/26) and 0/25 (Astle DNB) def. New Zealand 222 (Astle 19, Young 29*) and 313 (Astle 3, Young 29) by 10 wickets.
Game 6: New Zealand 226 (Astle 9, Young 5) and 467 (Astle 23, Young 36) def. Australia 246 (Astle 1/19) and 273 (Astle 0/34) by 174 runs.
Game 7: Australia 269 (Astle 0/24) and 298 (Astle 0/12) def. New Zealand 311 (Astle 12, Young 8) and 106 (Astle 20, Young 26) by 150 runs.

Game 8: India 218 (Astle 0/42) and 4/332 (Astle 0/22) def. New Zealand 274 (Astle 8, Young 22) and 272 (Astle 4, Young 22) by 6 wickets.
Game 9: India 402 (Astle 0/6) def. New Zealand 154 (Astle 0, Young 12) and 184 (Astle 0, Young 33) by an innings and 64 runs.

So for those playing at home, here's the stats after a full year.

Highlights:
  • Astle peaking early with a pair of 20s and handy wickets in Sri Lanka
  • Young spending half of his SL tour getting stranded, and engine-rooming a 156 run stand for the 7th wicket with Lord Colin
  • Neil Wagner rolling England with 12/90 in the Second Test
  • New Zealand winning the New Year's Test in Adelaide (???) literally only because of Tom Latham (92 and 210)
  • Captain Kane refusing to bowl Tastle even as Kuldeep and Markande (???) took 19 wickets across two Tests in NZ.
  • Bumrah (5 @ 54.60) being comfortably outbowled by Virat (4 @ 5.00) for the series
  • Shaw carrying his bat for 252* in his second Test back from that drugs ban

I also had to reset the game twice (before the first series and after the Australia series) because Tastle decided he didn't like this idea. I see through your broken finger and four week hamstring injury, Tastle!
Classic Williamson in an ICC game, ends up averaging 44-45ish by the time he retires every time.

Woodster

International Captain
Very pleasing to see Root answering the critics with an innings of that magnitude. Of course his captaincy will remain under scrutiny but his batting should never really be in question, he's a top class operator that has had a bit of a lean spell but hopefully this knock will give him some momentum going into the South African series.