• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ford Trophy feels like a formality these days. Something that has to be done for the sake of it.

Would rather the old school system of play an FC game then 2 days after play the OD game. Rinse and repeat. Break for Super Smash I guess.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Jakob Bhula back in the mix for firebirds for the first Ford trophy game. Likely in place of Rachin Ravindra.

Still no place for Finn Allen. I know the aces are stacked with Guptill, Munro available for now but I'm sure after his knock Vs England he'd have likely been considered.

Flem274*

123/5
Ford Trophy feels like a formality these days. Something that has to be done for the sake of it.

Would rather the old school system of play an FC game then 2 days after play the OD game. Rinse and repeat. Break for Super Smash I guess.
ford trophy is a crucial cog in this decades odi machine though. it's been great being able to pluck good ford trophy players and put them in odis and they're actually good.

obviously not quite everyone makes it, but the strike rate has been pretty good since 2011 imo

Howsie

International Captain
Worker so dominant in this format. Nice to see Clarkson and Leopard back.
I heard a little rumour about Clarkson, that a certain Big Bash and state team were sniffing around looking at trying to entice him to make a move over to Australia. I can’t recall losing a player to Australia but it would suck if he was the first

Katene Clarke made his debut today, decent prospect for ND. His brother Tamati was in that famous 2008 under 19 World Cup team, and played a couple of one dayers for ND 5-6 years ago.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I heard a little rumour about Clarkson, that a certain Big Bash and state team were sniffing around looking at trying to entice him to make a move over to Australia. I can’t recall losing a player to Australia but it would suck if he was the first

Katene Clarke made his debut today, decent prospect for ND. His brother Tamati was in that famous 2008 under 19 World Cup team, and played a couple of one dayers for ND 5-6 years ago.
Clarrie Grimmett? That would truly suck as he will surely be in international contention within the next couple of seasons, in the shorter formats. I see that Clarkson did play in Australia over the off-season.

That is good to see Clarke crack the ND team. He looked like a clean striker in the under 19 WC highlights. I think Neesham said on here that, aside from Corey Anderson, Tamati Clarke was one of the best he'd seen in terms of 'see the ball, hit the ball' hitting ability.

nzfan

What do you make of this Aces team ? That is stacked.. Even Chapman misses out. No chance for Finn Allen yet.

Martin Guptill
Colin Munro
Glenn Phillips
Craig Cachopa (c)
Sean Solia
Robert O’Donnell
Ben Horne
Kyle Jamieson
Lockie Ferguson
Will Somerville
Ben Lister
Danru Ferns

In a way the season at home for Black caps is a good thing meaning good number of players get released to play domestic cricket. If they were touring and also if NZ A is away like last year the competition loses a bit of a balance. For the next 2-3 weeks at least there is going to be competition for places in the domestic sides particularly if you're from Auckland and ND.

nzfan

Michael Bracewell
Devon Conway
Andrew Fletcher
Jamie Gibson
Lauchie Johns
Iain McPeake
Jimmy Neesham
Ollie Newton
Malcolm Nofal
Jeetan Patel
Rachin Ravindra
Logan Van Beek

Jimmy Neesham and Rachin Ravindra back in the squad... Ben Sears not in the squad. Would have loved to see him play few more games. He was a bit expensive but that's how you learn when you don't have much experience.

Immenso

Listened to The Switch Hit Podcast today.

With England touring, we have the novelty of an actual professional cricket journalist attending and reporting on parts of a FC cricket game in NZ. Probably hasn't happened for 10 years or more.

Anyway, Dobell mentioning when discussing new England opener Sibley, that Jamieson was impressive in this match. Hit Sibley in the grill and he got out soon after for e.g.
Interesting to me, as Jamieson's numbers weren't impressive and from the video scorecard his one wicket was pretty much batsman error.

Switch Hit Podcast Show - PodCenter - ESPN Radio

Also, in case you missed this from last week.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...t-faced-my-life-says-centurion-glenn-phillips
Some actual comment from an NZ domestic player after scoring a hundred .... I like Phillips' attitude,

Immenso

There is no more FC cricket until the next A series v India in early Feb.

NZ could put out a strangely good A team at the moment.

I would like to see something like this in theory A team:

Ravindra
Seiffert
Young
Phillips
Allen
Blundell
Kuggeleijn
Jamieson
Spinner A (Sommerville)
Spinner B ( A Patel)
Fergusson

3 seamers, 2 spinners, plus Ravindra.

It would also be worth including Sears. Even though not currently ready. Probably don't need to play 2 spinners so in place of 1 of them. Fergusson probably unavailable due to blackcaps white ball matches.

As, I said, with no FC cricket. It is actually unlikely that Finn Allen would be in a position to force his selection. But they did pick Ravindra for NZA before his FC debut. But more likely it would be Rutherford in his spot with all batsmen moving down 1 spot. Or Neesham.

It's weird that I can be very excited about the top 5, but struggling a bit to fill out the team with seamers. If Nuttall gets back into form then I'd be happy. I've been impressed with both versions of him (early career medium-fast swing, later much faster). I guess he's now adjusting back to being medium-fast swing. I'd back him to get there based on his past effectiveness.

Nathan Smith a contender for selection as an all-rounder, but based on hope currently, rather than any bowling progress. Tickner and Van Beek seamer contenders.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Please tell me its the Sixers and NSW.

nzfan

Kippax, awesome videos mate. The score card doesn't always tell the full story as you've shown.

BTW I don't know how true it is but was Rachin batting in a one day mode vs Broad and Archer? I was told he still had lot of time to play his shots... How true is that or is it hype?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Otago fielding a bloke (Soper) who hasn't played any top level cricket in three and a half years is ITSTL

Wonder what the story was there, injuries or just merely out of favour?