• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

bagapath

International Captain
Removing the time restriction, the top rankings for best bowling averages by position for at least 100 wickets go to

1. Marshall
2. Barnes
3. Murali
4. Tayfield

The 5th postion, reducing the requirement to 75 wickets, goes to

DL Underwood (second behind Murali)

Bolo

State Captain
I went for best bowling averages for bowling positions from 1 to 4.

The only fudging is Sobers ahead of Chanders at 6. To give a fifth bowling option

Selection for batting positions 1 to 5, keeper at 7 and bowlers at positions 1,2,3 and 4 are all based on top averages.
Then it's surprising in a different way. That is a ridiculously sttong tail end for guys being picked on bowling average.

bagapath

International Captain
Two teams for tests and ODIs without changing the batting order

1971 to 1995

Greenidge
Haynes
Viv Richards
G.Chappell
Miandad
Imran Khan
Dujon (wk)
Hadlee
Akram
Garner
Qadir

Reserves: Zaheer, Kapil, Lillee

1996 to 2019

Hayden
Jayasuriya
Sangakara
Kohli
Kallis
ABDV
Dhoni (wk)
S Pollock
Warne
Murali
McGrath

Reserves: Ponting, Donald, Waqar

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A little too rigid wrt batting positions imo.

Tendulkar and Gilchrist should be locks for the 1996-2019 teams.

stephen

This is a bizarre rationale for picking the obviously worse batsman.
The point is that you're picking them as close as possible to their actual batting positions. Hussey @6 in both tests and ODIs was a force. ABDV never usually batted that low, particularly in ODIs.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ironically I think Hussey might have been a better no.3 or 4, but de Villiers in late-overs ODIs was unstoppable

stephen

Ironically I think Hussey might have been a better no.3 or 4, but de Villiers in late-overs ODIs was unstoppable
Undoubtedly, but de Villiers spent 80% of his career batting 4, which in this team disqualifies him from batting 6 if I understand the spirit of the teams correctly.

The point is not to pick the best bloke, but the best bloke in the particular position for both ODIs and tests. Hussey perfectly qualifies given he is near the top run scorer of all time at 6 in ODIs and regularly batted 6 in tests.

bagapath

International Captain
Can't fathom Tendulkar being left out in a 96-2019 team whatever rigidity being applied.
where would you have tendulkar in a team with the same batting order for both formats???? he opened in ODIs and batted at 4 in tests!!!

if i select a "lefties xI" and leave tendulkar out, will you say i am being rigid with my criteria?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
where would you have tendulkar in a team with the same batting order for both formats???? he opened in ODIs and batted at 4 in tests!!!

if i select a "lefties xI" and leave tendulkar out, will you say i am being rigid with my criteria?
Oops, sorry Bagapath. I thought the rigidity was applied to specific formats alone. If it is across the formats, yes, Tendulkar will not qualify here :)

stephen

Lefty XI (from the top of my head so this can do with a huge amount of improvement)

Hayden
Warner
Lara
Border
Sobers
Hussey
Gilchrist+
Davidson
Johnson
Akram
Herath

Spark

Global Moderator
Michael Hussey "obviously worse" than ABdV? I dunno about that.
Pretty clear to me tbh, and I'm definitely not an ABdV fanboy in Tests.

Although if we're saying "batsman must have batted in this position for a substantial proportion of their career, and especially after becoming established in the team", then fair enough.