• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Jack1

International Debutant
Double post of sorts. Forgot about this section when I posted in the Joe Root captaincy thread in the Ashes section.

Captain could be Burns. He's experienced at it with Surrey. Root may make more runs if he doesn't have to think about captaincy or vice. Vice could possibly be Foakes with gloves for the right vice captaincy fit. Denly, Roy in particular aren't good enough for the side which gives leeway to pick Foakes as keeper plus Bairstow. If they are really desperate they can get Buttler in there too.

E.g.

1. Burns (c)
2. Sibley
3. Root
4. Stokes
5. Bairstow
6. Buttler
7. Foakes (wk)(vc)
8. Archer
9. Leach
10. Broad
11. Anderson

It's an option at least. Gives you YJB in the field, who is a gun in the field. Buttler is the real question mark. There's an argument for batting Ballance 3 and sliding 3-5 down one spot. Meaning Buttler dropped. It's a conundrum. I do feel however that the only viable alternative to Root is Burns as test captain. Burns bats better with the captaincy, Root bats worse with it. Long term Sibley comes in for Denly. They waited too long to pick Burns, he could have 25 tests or so under his belt by now. England's selectors can be strange at times. With a fully fit side I see no room for Woakes who has gone off the boil as the series has progressed. Curran I'm not convinced by in a full strength side either. If no senior player gets vice either it frees them up - Buttler, Bairstow, Root etc. Burns and Foakes might make a mean combination as captain and vice captain. They would do what was best for the team at a given moment in time. If Buttler hits a big score in this test then he gets a run at 6 in the side.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Who will the new head coach be ?

Would the New Zealand tour selection be the same as SA or will they wait till after New Zealand to name a new squad?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want Silverwood to get it, did a brilliant job to win the championship and can appoint Gibson as bowling coach who works well with the team. Just relieved Bayliss is going, been brilliant for the shorter games but the test side has gone backwards at a ridiculous rate.

Groundking

International Debutant
I want Silverwood to get it, did a brilliant job to win the championship and can appoint Gibson as bowling coach who works well with the team. Just relieved Bayliss is going, been brilliant for the shorter games but the test side has gone backwards at a ridiculous rate.
I agree with this and if not Silverwood I'd like Gillespie, he might be able to sort Bairstow's technique out again.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England have a window to try and blood Buttler at 3. It would solve a lot of their problems. Pope could come in down the order and that would be a good way to get the future sorted out too.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Buttler sublime again today batting with the tail. Keep him at 6 or 7, I reckon.

England's current batting line-up should be: Burns, Sibley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Bairstow, Buttler.

**** Root's wishes to bat at 4 - his biggest problem is converting 50s to 100s.

Groundking

International Debutant
England have a window to try and blood Buttler at 3. It would solve a lot of their problems. Pope could come in down the order and that would be a good way to get the future sorted out too.
Something like this?

Burns
Sibley
Buttler
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes (**** off Bairstow you're ****)
Leach
Broad
Archer
Anderson

?

**** that tail is long.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sibley, Pope, & Tom Abell, all made very tough runs for their counties this week. I think Tom Banton is an incredible talent, buy young & raw. Not aware of Azul, will check him out. Buttler is most definitely not a Test No3, but there is some value in him as a possible captain/keeper/No7. I think the captaincy is a huge issue currently, not inspired by Joe who just needs to bat. I thought we should have held Mark Wood for the Ashes, instead of burning him out in ODI cricket, he looked really good off the longer run up. We need to separate one day cricket from Tests, there’s enough cricket for everyone! Very poor today, going to the Oval tomorrow, hope I’m not seeing Smith & another double hundred.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
people still selecting bairstow, astonishing stuff.

most self absorbed dickhead to play for the team since kp. unlike kp he has done nothing to justify his continued selection.

flibbertyjibber

Bairstow was fine when he returned to the side after going away and he tightened up his game and scored a ruck of runs for Yorkshire, since he got in the one day side ahead of hales all the old flaws have returned and he seems to get bowled every other innings again. Maybe he needs to choose one or tother as both seem incompatible.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
he averages 29 since 2017. he needs binning on that alone. never mind his refusal to adapt his role for the benefit of the team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bairstow was fine when he returned to the side after going away and he tightened up his game and scored a ruck of runs for Yorkshire, since he got in the one day side ahead of hales all the old flaws have returned and he seems to get bowled every other innings again. Maybe he needs to choose one or tother as both seem incompatible.
Funny how you display sympathy to Bairstow and yet Buttler's upturn in form is irrelevant for you. Almost as if county bias is at play :detective

flibbertyjibber

Funny how you display sympathy to Bairstow and yet Buttler's upturn in form is irrelevant for you. Almost as if county bias is at play :detective
No, just Bairstow had a run averaging about 60 for England and Buttler's best run was to average 45. One has 6 test tons the other 1. No bias involved, Bairstow is a better player.

Groundking

International Debutant
he averages 29 since 2017. he needs binning on that alone. never mind his refusal to adapt his role for the benefit of the team.
It's his refusal to adapt his role for the team that pisses me off the most. He had the opportunity to make the no.3 role his own and build some stability for the team but he pussied out and cried to be given the gloves back. He's just a ****.

TheJediBrah

oh hell no that's a terrible idea. Buttler shouldn't be above 5, regardless of how good his form gets

morgieb

oh hell no that's a terrible idea. Buttler shouldn't be above 5, regardless of how good his form gets
Yeah he’s shown no signs he can bat top order, has to be a 5 at the very best. Best option is to keep Root 3 and make Stokes or Pope bat 4.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully Pope does get back in the team so Cricinfo can finally get his initials correct. OJD Pope not OJ Pope, get it right you plebs

Jack1

International Debutant
people still selecting bairstow, astonishing stuff.

most self absorbed dickhead to play for the team since kp. unlike kp he has done nothing to justify his continued selection.
I liked KP. KP wanted to win more than get runs. KP was the English Kohli. Kohli would rather get a duck and win. I feel like KP was the same way. As long as he maintained his place in the team. I like Kohli. Great competitor.