• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn’t Stokes held and questioned by police right after it happened? Before it could have been known by them he was a celebrity. From there the cctv footage would be reviewed and yeah

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there was a time where they should've just stopped the single even if it meant Stokes beating the field for 4 a couple of time. Having six balls at Leach rather than 1-2 could've made the difference.

But given that none of the Aussie quicks seemed to know what they were doing to the tail (other than maybe Pattinson who didn't bowl much at Leach), not sure how much it would've helped anyway. Why they didn't go for an ODI length other than general fatigue is beyond me.

And in any case, there were at least 3 ****-ups that killed us.

Massively surprised to see I didn't get infraction points for death threats to Tim Paine's mum lol

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
The biggest take away for me, other than the outstanding batting from Stokes, was the amount of luck he had. That was a 1 in a 1000 innings purely in that regard. Can't really complain too much about the field placings, he could have holed out nearly a dozen times in the last partnership with mistimed slogs, and that's not even getting into the missed run outs, dropped catches, lbw etc
What do you mean by the word “luck”. The lbw was purely down to poor umpiring. If you mean the dropped catches then well, Harris and Warner are to blame for that.

TheJediBrah

lol MM just saw that one on facey. One of the best ever

What do you mean by the word “luck”. The lbw was purely down to poor umpiring. If you mean the dropped catches then well, Harris and Warner are to blame for that.
mostly just all the mis-timed shots just falling short/wide/over fielders in the deep, it was uncanny and 99 times out of 100 he's out multiple times there. Of course they were interspersed with pure brilliance.

also not really relevant but the inference you make that dropped catches and bad umpiring don't count as luck because someone else is involved makes no sense

Last edited:

Daemon

@ Starfighter

It’s a factor, just as a zillion things are in any close game. It’s amplified here because it was right at the death. It was a terrible call but that’s the game. There’s a million stories in the naked city of a classic test, that’s just one of them.

I have less of an issue with the decision than I do with this notion of “oh well you used your reviews. Too bad.” I call it the “Haven’t got tuppence worth of brains” or “the ***** perspective”

Say Stokes is given out caught behind at the death there and can’t review because england used theirs earlier. It seems the brain dead take the view it should be “bad luck mate, great effort and all to get within a whisker of a miracle, but because Jason Roy reviewed an lbw incorrectly 110 overs ago, the Ashes are lost.”

That would be every bit as bad as this.

But to reiterate, it’s one of however many factors in a match over five days. It’s just an unsatisfactory outcome which is easily remedied when the tech is there, but which can’t be because of the playing condition.
Yep, you’re right and some people are going way over the top when bagging him.

But maybe stop replying to every criticism of Tim Paine by pointing fingers at the myriad of other **** ups. We all know test cricket isn’t won or lost on one particular incident.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Wasn’t Stokes held and questioned by police right after it happened? Before it could have been known by them he was a celebrity. From there the cctv footage would be reviewed and yeah
Yeah if it were any normal person police definitely would have intervened and maybe even held them for a night, but it almost certainly wouldn't have gone very far. Iirc the most significant part about the case was that the victims pushed charges and I'm not sure they necessarily would have if the bloke weren't a celebrity.

Burgey

Yep, you’re right and some people are going way over the top when bagging him.

But maybe stop replying to every criticism of Tim Paine by pointing fingers at the myriad of other **** ups. We all know test cricket isn’t won or lost on one particular incident.
Well you wouldn't know that at all from reading a number of posts on here tbh. He deserves to take his share of crap, especially for his batting, which has gone backwards since the last Ashes. You'd never think he'll score a ton, but you expect some decent cameos or contributions, but he's given nothing with the cue. But i wouldn't say he's buggered up too many bowling changes. I think he could have had an extra bloke in close for Lyon, mind you. before Stokes went ballistic anyway.

morgieb

**** i didn't realize he followed them. Yeah, bin the ****.
Yeesh. Brilliant find from you two. To think that he wasn't the one that thought of the ball-tampering thing (though given Smith and Warner are Easts fans, easy to see why they'd think they'd be above the law).

Last edited:

morgieb

Well you wouldn't know that at all from reading a number of posts on here tbh. He deserves to take his share of crap, especially for his batting, which has gone backwards since the last Ashes. You'd never think he'll score a ton, but you expect some decent cameos or contributions, but he's given nothing with the cue. But i wouldn't say he's buggered up too many bowling changes. I think he could have had an extra bloke in close for Lyon, mind you. before Stokes went ballistic anyway.
Yeah I think deep down pre-Stokes partnership he was doing fine. Maybe a couple of tactical clangers but the first one was made to look worse by the new ball quicks bowling pies, and the second one was corrected pretty much straight away. I felt like he lost his head a lot in that partnership, though I don't know if Smith would've done any better, for example.

Emotion is a crazy thing though. Need to be more like PEWS.

91Jmay

International Coach
Stokes' comments interesting here RE DRS being wrong about it being 3 reds. Said it clipped his front pad and didn't spin.
Mirrors what a lot on here have felt about the tracking on it doing odd stuff at times

I think that LBW would have been clipping but the tracking having it turning so much was bollocks and so is this "worst decision ever" dreck.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As it’s a Bank Holiday in England tomorrow (now today as it’s 1:15am) I decided to stay up and listen to a load of stuff on the BBC website. Michael Vaughan said that given that England had a review left and Australia didn’t Wilson should have given it out so they go upstairs and have a look. Hmmm. Anyway, sleep time. It’s been a good day.

TheJediBrah

Stokes' comments interesting here RE DRS being wrong about it being 3 reds. Said it clipped his front pad and didn't spin.
Mirrors what a lot on here have felt about the tracking on it doing odd stuff at times
Yeah I called this at the time. Ball tracking was clearly off there, confused by the clip of the front pad. It was certainly still clipping/hitting leg, but may have been umpire's call anyway

the big bambino

International Captain
As it’s a Bank Holiday in England tomorrow (now today as it’s 1:15am) I decided to stay up and listen to a load of stuff on the BBC website. Michael Vaughan said that given that England had a review left and Australia didn’t Wilson should have given it out so they go upstairs and have a look. Hmmm. Anyway, sleep time. It’s been a good day.
Look I don't mind Vaughan whereas some just really hate him. But that's no advice to give to an ump.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yes, well, when these two teams play, I generally root for an asteroid strike to take out the planet, so I have to take small joys where I can.
If the asteroid is taking out the entire planet why does it matter if we are playing or not when it strikes? Both countries are going down regardless.