• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Karunaratne

Tom Flint

International Regular
The best test opener in the world right now? Scoring big runs consistently in different conditions for the last 2 or 3 years. Winning games in runs chases and now as captain too.
Warner still the best imo but not atm

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Latham is the quintessential minnow basher. Azhar Ali has quietly had a decent run as test opener. Warner is an HTB. I'd say Elgar or Karunaratne.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yes elgar has been good for a longer time. I'm guessing his home and away average are pretty similar too.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Latham is the quintessential minnow basher. Azhar Ali has quietly had a decent run as test opener. Warner is an HTB. I'd say Elgar or Karunaratne.
Dimuth's record against the big teams isn't any better, especially away from home. Has a few more than decent innings in the last couple of years though.

Would say it's close.

Elgar's had a tough time of it recently but he's in the conversation yeah. The standard worldwide is as bad as I've ever seen.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Overall it's Elgar. Recently it's Dimuth. Not even 1 or 2 standout names since Cook's decline.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Dimuth's record against the big teams isn't any better, especially away from home. Has a few more than decent innings in the last couple of years though.

Would say it's close.

Elgar's had a tough time of it recently but he's in the conversation yeah. The standard worldwide is as bad as I've ever seen.
That's simply not true. If we exclude Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, Latham's record as opener is 1,670 runs @ 30.92 with 2 centuries. Excluding Bangladesh, West Indies and Zimbabwe, Karunaratne has 3,265 runs @ 36.68 with 6 centuries.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was it vihari opening in Australia? He did well. There is potential in markram inziman and burns
He opened once I think. I was impressed by Agarwal. Of course there is Shaw too.

Tamin and Brathwaite are in the best openers conversation too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Brathwaite has averaged only 14 in his last 7 matches. Openers have struggled so much the past year.

Flem274*

123/5
lathams a ****ing woeful opener. **** his average, he's not even the best opener in his own team. karunaratne is miles ahead of him.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Before the NZ/Aus/SA tour Karunaratne was the worlds in form opener, but he didn't really pass the mustard except for one good innings in NZ.

One of those guys who can really go big once set though, and also one who stands up in the second dig