• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla retires from international cricket

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Farewell you bearded menace.

The pity was seeing him degenerate for quite a while.

Dendarii

International Debutant

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean if you want to score fast runs, that's not a difficult attack to do it against. Still a really important innings given the context though. **** he was gun for that 4-5 year period. Was arguably the best batsman in the world for that period. Shame his decline was so dragged out to the point where I think his reputation has probably taken an unfair hit.

OverratedSanity

If he'd quit two years ago, he'd have retired with an average of 50 in well over 100 tests with 28 hundreds and runs all over the world. At that point, his statistics were as impressive in volume and quality as many ATGs yet because he carried on, he "only" averages 46. It's so weird how these things work out and makes it so tough to evaluate careers properly.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
If he'd quit two years ago, he'd have retired with an average of 50 in well over 100 tests with 28 hundreds and runs all over the world. At that point, his statistics were as impressive in volume and quality as many ATGs yet because he carried on, he "only" averages 46. It's so weird how these things work out and makes it so tough to evaluate careers properly.
Wasn't his average mostly around that 50 - 52 mark? I think most ATGs have a little more buffer and so end up still averaging in the 50s by the time they retire. I think he's had a very drastic decline though. Don't remember anyone in recent times with such a decline.

trundler

Wasn't his average mostly around that 50 - 52 mark? I think most ATGs have a little more buffer and so end up still averaging in the 50s by the time they retire. I think he's had a very drastic decline though. Don't remember anyone in recent times with such a decline.
Ponting

TheJediBrah

It's not exactly unusual though. I'm sure a lot of players would have their career averages dip by 3-5 runs before they retire.

morgieb

It's not exactly unusual though. I'm sure a lot of players would have their career averages dip by 3-5 runs before they retire.
Yeah I think the 70's generation (apart from Ponting/Dravid) were a bit of an anomaly regarding this. Most people of Amla's generation declined fairly significantly too.

vcs

Sangakkara and Kallis timed their retirements perfectly, in statistical terms.

Heboric

International Debutant
If it's the same game I think it was, that's right. Aus looked shot. I think SA won that series at Adelaide tbh. After Aus couldn't bowl them out in 150 overs (or however long it was) all the momentum was with SA. And as I mentioned it exhausted their entire bowling attack.

I'd actually rate Faf's adelaide knock as the key one in that serious
The downside of having a vegatarian in ones side, you can only go so far with baked beans, mushrooms and suppliment pills :laugh: :laugh: