• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Steven Smith Question

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** almost forgotten that Pune ton.

**** how did he make runs on that
Pune was madness. Made India eat it like no visiting batsman ever has on such a pitch.
Being dropped 4 times helps lol

Edgbaston first innings being a tad overrated because everyone else **** the bed.
Nah it was not an easy wicket on day 1, and it takes something to bat on like that with only tail-enders for company, not to mention the fields England set making it more of a challenge. That was a great innings.

trundler

Does anyone have a link to highlights of Dharamshala? Haven't found any on YouTube.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That’s kind of the point though isn’t it?

122/8
First Test after ban
First Test of the Ashes (it doesn’t come any bigger)
England’s favourite venue

Ticks all the boxes for a great innings
Nah it was not an easy wicket on day 1, and it takes something to bat on like that with only tail-enders for company, not to mention the fields England set making it more of a challenge. That was a great innings.
Oh yeah, not saying it wasn't an absolutely great innings. Just not as Smith's best or top 2 as some were describing it.

It wasn't that difficult to bat on imo, from what I saw. Compared to Pune, for example.

Gob

International Coach
Oh yeah, not saying it wasn't an absolutely great innings. Just not as Smith's best or top 2 as some were describing it.

It wasn't that difficult to bat on imo, from what I saw. Compared to Pune, for example.
Seamed around a fairbit

Nothing can be compared to Pune though that was rolled mud

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
I'm sure i am in the minority, though i think the Dharamshala 111 is still his best ton. Series decider, having already tonned up twice, and ,as was pointed out in the above, it really was a forgone conclusion after about 3 deliveries.

One of those 100's you really had to be watching live to appreciate imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha that’s like five people now who have said “no one else is going to think this, but Dharamshala was his best innings”. But it’s definitely a niche CW opinion IMO, I don’t expect many outside of here would agree.

Spark

Global Moderator
The Board Of Control For Cricket In India

I dont think the video does justice to how scary those first 50 or so runs were.
I think it’s mostly because (a) this doesn’t include all his best shots nor really conveys how he just looked like he was batting with a door the moment he came out and (b) how much those shots would have seemed impossible/suicidal for literally any other batsman on that pitch.

Like the bloke is barely at the crease, an early wicket has fallen, there’s significant movement in the air and off the pitch, variable extra bounce, and he just clatters two through extra cover off consecutive balls that really were not bad balls at all. I think everyone on here posted some variation of “ominous” to describe how he looked.

Last edited:

Burgey

Certainly a ground I would love to watch a test match at. How good are those stump camera shots with the mountain in the background?

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think it’s mostly because (a) this doesn’t include all his best shots nor really conveys how he just looked like he was batting with a door the moment he came out and (b) how much those shots would have seemed impossible/suicidal for literally any other batsman on that pitch.

Like the bloke is barely at the crease, an early wicket has fallen, there’s significant movement in the air and off the pitch, variable extra bounce, and he just clatters two through extra cover off consecutive balls that really were not bad balls at all. I think everyone on here posted some variation of “ominous” to describe how he looked.
He came out looking just as good, maybe even better in the second innings - couldn't believe my eyes when he threw it away.

OverratedSanity

It's stupid to feel nostalgic for something that happened two years ago but damn that series was great to watch.

TheJediBrah

It's stupid to feel nostalgic for something that happened two years ago but damn that series was great to watch.
My favourite thing about that series, from an Australian perspective, was how counter pitch-doctoring it was. If that makes sense. The biggest worry when touring Asia is what pitches are going to served up, more specifically is extra effort going to be put into making them extra dust-bowly (ie. Sri Lanka always do when Aus/SA etc. tour)

The only wicket that was potentially "doctored" in that way (it might not have been, just turned out dust-bowly) was Pune, and Aus won that game. Then India won a game that was on a less typical Asian pitch that Aus should have felt more comfortable on.

It meant that there was never going to be complaints about the pitches which almost always seems to happen

Daemon

My favourite thing about that series, from an Australian perspective, was how counter pitch-doctoring it was. If that makes sense. The biggest worry when touring Asia is what pitches are going to served up, more specifically is extra effort going to be put into making them extra dust-bowly (ie. Sri Lanka always do when Aus/SA etc. tour)

The only wicket that was potentially "doctored" in that way (it might not have been, just turned out dust-bowly) was Pune, and Aus won that game. Then India won a game that was on a less typical Asian pitch that Aus should have felt more comfortable on.

It meant that there was never going to be complaints about the pitches which almost always seems to happen
that was your favourite thing about the series? very odd. there was so much more to enjoy.

Daemon

Haha yeah that was gold. Although I enjoyed smith getting caught cheating more.

TheJediBrah

I completely forgot about DRS-gate that was classic. TPC has no clue in life unless he's facing up to a bowler

Burgey

that was your favourite thing about the series? very odd. there was so much more to enjoy.
TBF, it is a once in a lifetime thing for SC pitches not to be doctored, so I would expect it to be foremost in right-thinking people's minds.