• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - India v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
why are all the indian fans posting like they've already lost?

pretty disappointed the game was rained out today, india were beginning to fall apart in the field which is pretty funny given we're not even at 300. going to be tough work for the boys to hit out cold from ball 1 tomorrow against this attack, but im looking forward to the fight.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Plus Nicholls! How dare he hang around for 51 balls on a tricky pitch at a strike rate around 55?
Know this wasn't intended seriously, but Nicholls innings was mostly good in the context of the match, before he got stuck. At 15 overs he had 25(38) which doesn't look much but was really quite decent. That was the time to start to push the #intent up, however he was instead becalmed, facing six dots against the Pandya over where he injured himself and then several more dots to be out for 28(51).

Burner

International Regular
The worst thing for NZ with a 240 score will be that India could just sit on Boult and Ferguson to some extent. Could make picking wickets upfront tricky.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly I think the rain hurt New Zealand a lot here.

New Zealand were looking set for a score of 240-250, which would require the third highest chase of the tournament to achieve. Taylor was in, the pitch was tricky and India were falling apart in the field. Momentum was on New Zealand's side. Plus, Boult in last night's conditions would have been an absolute nightmare. And if New Zealand had have reduced India to 3-50, I couldn't see India recovering.

Coming out tonight to bat the final 4 overs will probably see New Zealand fall around ten to twenty runs short of where they could have gotten last night without the rain interruption. The pitch and more importantly the atmosphere may have changed by tonight, which could work in India's favour, giving them easier conditions.

Having said all of that, if conditions are as they were last night, I think the game is relatively evenly balanced. India would be 60-40 favourites. Williamson and Taylor assessed the conditions perfectly. The wicket was a little two paced with the ball sometimes holding up in the pitch and sometimes coming on quickly for the quicks and ripping for the spinners. It was the kind of pitch where you never feel truly in and Williamson showed that even classy batsmen could find it difficult to accelerate. Latham probably should have come in at 5 but I don't think it would have made a huge difference. It's very difficult to come in and hit from ball one on this wicket.

I could honestly see Rohit getting out early on this deck and Kohli and Dhoni being the biggest factors in the Indian innings.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
If Taylor can find a way to haul NZ to 250 I think it will look like a mountain for the Indian batting line up in such a high pressure game on a damp wicket. I disagree strongly with the notion that a shortened game would have helped the Kiwis. 148 with 8 genuine bats for India would have been much easier I think. It will be interesting to see what happens with the pitch tomorrow. It was drizzled on for a long time without the palyand who knows, it might even be slower when the covers are taken off this morning.

wrongun

Banned
Sure, he was scratchy as ****, but don’t you think at some point he said “the most important thing for me to do here is stay in so we don’t lose a heap of wickets?”. Knowing that if he didn’t bring Neesham and CDG early, there was more chance that they could launch later (and himself as well).

I’m not saying that his strike rotation didn’t leave a lot to be desired, as well as the fact that he sucked vs Jadeja, but if he saw his job as “not getting out”, and his captain agreed, you can’t fault the guy.

Plus, Kane was just as guilty for long periods of time of not turning the strike over. Taylor so far faced 39 dot balls (out of 85), and Williamson 43 (out of 95).So we should probably blame him if we lose as well. Plus Nicholls! How dare he hang around for 51 balls on a tricky pitch at a strike rate around 55?

BUT if they have somehow scraped enough runs together to make us competitive, suddenly it’ll be a master stroke.

Yes, we’ve probably bottled it. But there are people there who are far more to blame than Ross Taylor for our total so far. And you never know what’s a good score until the other team bats.
I wouldn't blame Roscoe or KW at all. Kiwi fans should be greatful that they held it together and didn't cause a collapse resulting in 150-175. Yes, they could've gotten more singles, but they literally have no support. If anyone, I blame Guptill for being terrible without any footwork. Even the ball he edged of Bumrah was a mental error. If anything, him and Nichols should've gone down swinging. Either way, something tells me this could be close

stephen

Guptill's batting has been largely the difference between the 2015 finals-bound New Zealand and the 2019 might-get-there-maybe version of the side.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
I wouldn't blame Roscoe or KW at all. Kiwi fans should be greatful that they held it together and didn't cause a collapse resulting in 150-175. Yes, they could've gotten more singles, but they literally have no support. If anyone, I blame Guptill for being terrible without any footwork. Even the ball he edged of Bumrah was a mental error. If anything, him and Nichols should've gone down swinging. Either way, something tells me this could be close
I felt filthy that Kane was doing the hitting which he did well, and Rosco was doing the feeding, sooner or later Kane's gonna bite the bullet. At least Rosco heated up towards the end, and actually ran well with his favorite runner Tom. I do think if both had a hit out, we'll be all out for 180 ala 2015 Final before the rain even came on, they are just maximising the most out of an average batting department (support role), and give the lead (bowlers) a chance to win it

Honestly I think the rain hurt New Zealand a lot here.

New Zealand were looking set for a score of 240-250, which would require the third highest chase of the tournament to achieve. Taylor was in, the pitch was tricky and India were falling apart in the field. Momentum was on New Zealand's side. Plus, Boult in last night's conditions would have been an absolute nightmare. And if New Zealand had have reduced India to 3-50, I couldn't see India recovering.

Coming out tonight to bat the final 4 overs will probably see New Zealand fall around ten to twenty runs short of where they could have gotten last night without the rain interruption. The pitch and more importantly the atmosphere may have changed by tonight, which could work in India's favour, giving them easier conditions.

Having said all of that, if conditions are as they were last night, I think the game is relatively evenly balanced. India would be 60-40 favourites. Williamson and Taylor assessed the conditions perfectly. The wicket was a little two paced with the ball sometimes holding up in the pitch and sometimes coming on quickly for the quicks and ripping for the spinners. It was the kind of pitch where you never feel truly in and Williamson showed that even classy batsmen could find it difficult to accelerate. Latham probably should have come in at 5 but I don't think it would have made a huge difference. It's very difficult to come in and hit from ball one on this wicket.

I could honestly see Rohit getting out early on this deck and Kohli and Dhoni being the biggest factors in the Indian innings.
Ya it's starting to affect Bumrah too he was bowling some crap balls and even Kohli made a funny error, that can affect the whole side, and clearly they just need to punch the ball to Chahal and they'll get free extra 1-2 runs each time, the guy was having a meltdown, wonder what his fiedling stats is now lol, - 20?

Will probably take 10 balls to warm up, including losing 1-2 wickets, and squeeze an extra 20-30 runs tonight...

The worst thing for NZ with a 240 score will be that India could just sit on Boult and Ferguson to some extent. Could make picking wickets upfront tricky.
I reckon CDG could be the key, this is basically his wicket. Rooting for Henry to knick some and Santa needs to maximize the condition, feels like he was the one targetted by ENG/AUS recently and was a non factor in those games, he needs to stand up now...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill's batting has been largely the difference between the 2015 finals-bound New Zealand and the 2019 might-get-there-maybe version of the side.
Nah, NZ's batting was better across the board in 2015. Baz consistently giving us blazing starts. Guptill helping to build scores. KW and Ross doing their thing. Elliot providing the perfect number 5 and Corey providing left handed hitting power at 6.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't agree that our batting was "better". It was certainly more confident. Baz was a talisman, he would hit 30 from the first 4 overs and we could do anything with our innings from there. Imagine if Williamson and Taylor's consolidation came after a 70 run start from 10 overs. We'd be staring at 270-300.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Nah, NZ's batting was better across the board in 2015. Baz consistently giving us blazing starts. Guptill helping to build scores. KW and Ross doing their thing. Elliot providing the perfect number 5 and Corey providing left handed hitting power at 6.
KW and Ross had a really average 2015 CWC though to be fair.

stephen

McCullum in 2015 did what good senior players should do - take the bull by the horns and lead by example. Which is exactly what Guptill hasn't done in this world cup, despite him ostensibly being the third most senior batsmen and the most important opener in a tournament which has largely favoured openers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hopefully we get a full game. I’d hate for the DL system to play a role. DL system is about as fair as you can make it, but obviously doesn’t replace actually playing the game. I think if it’s more overcast, it would help NZ. But India have also had a nights rest instead of fielding all day before batting so I’m sure that helps too. I think in the end, it all probably evens out.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully we get a full game. I’d hate for the DL system to play a role. DL system is about as fair as you can make it, but obviously doesn’t replace actually playing the game. I think if it’s more overcast, it would help NZ. But India have also had a nights rest instead of fielding all day before batting so I’m sure that helps too. I think in the end, it all probably evens out.
This can't be forgotten as a factor. While obviously it's a much bigger factor in Tests where you can field for 100-150 overs and then have to come out and bat straight away, it's still a factor, especially if you're top order batsmen have been intense in the field.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
If weather forecast turns out to be accurate, we should have full game even with minor rain interruptions. We have two innings worth of time + additional to bowl rest of the overs.