• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well Sri Lanka will be batting on a day 3 pitch so in theory they should get the best batting conditions.

PS while I'm following this I'm not actually watching it so I just assumed with the 3 innings scores that it was a bit green.
Bit of dead grass, slowish wicket but SL has the most dangerous bowler against SA.... a part time spinner avg 75.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
There's been fairly generous turn and some inconsistent pace/bounce on offer throughout the series too though

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There's been fairly generous turn and some inconsistent pace/bounce on offer throughout the series too though
Think you are being generous with the word generous there...... pitch is a bit slow and is holding up a bit. Does not have the bounce of the other pitches in SA, So pretty standard St Georges wicket... and thus is about 350 par wicket. Most of de Silva's wickets have come off pretty straight deliveries. This is some tight bowling and some truly horrendous batting

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Think you are being generous with the word generous there...... pitch is a bit slow and is holding up a bit. Does not have the bounce of the other pitches in SA, So pretty standard St Georges wicket... and thus is about 350 par wicket. Most of de Silva's wickets have come off pretty straight deliveries. This is some tight bowling and some truly horrendous batting
Embuldeniya was getting some turn yesterday when I tuned in before he messed up his thumb

Mainly I'm talking about Durban though

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Embuldeniya was getting some turn yesterday when I tuned in before he messed up his thumb

Mainly I'm talking about Durban though
Yes, but it is not turning square.... there is no excuse for a pathetic batting display like that other than the batsmen were pathetic.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, but it is not turning square.... there is no excuse for a pathetic batting display like that other than the batsmen were pathetic.
Agreed, the batting has been poor, and the pitches are not offering big assistance, it's a case of resourceful and skilful bowling, combined with some poor batting

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny period of cricket we're going through. From batsmen flat batting sixes over mid off for fun in one format to looking completely helpless in another.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Even if we do win this, what did we achieve? Same old issues.
At the moment this is a kick for the test team, but until the WC is finished we won't know who is or is not retiring. If we have a new coach? I am for the first time advocating wholesale changes.... including Faf and Elgar. When is the SA 'A' team playing again?

Bolo

State Captain
India tour is a good opportunity for wholesale changes in a way. Can't win no matter who plays. Doesn't matter when we see new guys failing. Its free experience, just don't judge anyone based on their performances there.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Tense stuff, Steyn going hard at Dimuth's stumps, Dimuth looking uncomfortable but still able to put away the odd bad ball

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Could be another grandstand finish, I'll miss it myself but this test is very evenly poised, one feels that SL need to be pretty close to the target (within 20 runs or so) by the time the 6th wicket falls given Embuldeniya won't bat or at least will be very vulnerable when he does, then again stranger things have happened...

Losing the openers was a blow, everyone from 3 down to 7 are more dashers than accumulators, so they could take the game away from SA quickly with a partnership or two but could be quite vulnerable to a collapse also, I think SL can bring this one home, but damn you'd love to have Chandimal and Matthews in the sheds

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Elgar, Hash and Temba should go. Build the team around Faf (short-term) and then Markram/QdK. Team needs to evolve

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Does Steyn these last few years whenever he's played look like he rushes through the crease more than he used to at his peak?
Yeah. It's probably just his body getting older. At his absolute peak he had a soaring aerodynamic action, meaning that his load-up was longer, and he could probably get the ball to move later through the air.

Niall

International Coach
Elgar, Hash and Temba should go. Build the team around Faf (short-term) and then Markram/QdK. Team needs to evolve
I know quota talk is a pain but if you are going to drop two non white guys and vern near done...you need to find good young non white lads to come through to keep the government happy.