• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI ATG XIs

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2000s XI

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Yuvraj Singh
Michael Hussey
MS Dhoni
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Brett Lee
Glenn Mcgrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Singh definitely doesn't belong there over many others. Personally I'd bring in Symonds.

But that makes it a very Australian batting lineup. Still, they won every World cup that decade so it makes sense.

stephen

I'll give you a choice of players to replace Yuvraj (avge 37 in 00s) with:

Darren Lehmann: avge 48 @ sr 83
Matthew Hayden: avge 45 @ sr 80 (would require bit of a batting reshuffle though)

also averaging over 40: Kallis, Sarwan, Clarke, Martyn, Chanderpaul, Dippenaar, MoYo, Rhodes, Gayle, Watson, Dravid, Atapattu, Ganguly (a few of these guys had strike-rates sub-80 though which is less than ideal)

Probably should be Lehmann, he's the standout of the remaining players.
How could you forget Symonds? Ave 39.75, strike rate 92. Just shy of 5000 runs, some of them very important World Cup runs. Could build an innings or come in as a late slogger.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Symonds averaged just under 40, striking at 93. Comfortably superior to Yuvraj on batting alone, before you take into account bowling and his god-like fielding.

Whether Symonds gets in ahead of Lehmann or KP is debatable though. I'd probably go with Symonds tbh, his fielding alone makes a huge difference.

edit:
How could you forget Symonds? Ave 39.75, strike rate 92. Just shy of 5000 runs, some of them very important World Cup runs. Could build an innings or come in as a late slogger.
I only looked at average >40. Symonds averaged 39.75 lol. But yes I agree he probably would be in the team.

stephen

My 00s XI:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist+
Ponting
Dhoni
Symonds
Hussey
Flintoff
Pollock
Lee
Muralitharan
McGrath

TheJediBrah

My 00s XI:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist+
Ponting
Dhoni
Symonds
Hussey
Flintoff
Pollock
Lee
Muralitharan
McGrath
Swap Flintoff and Dhoni in the order and you're on. Flintoff did some great work for England with the bat at no. 4 around 2004ish IIRC.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Singh definitely doesn't belong there over many others. Personally I'd bring in Symonds.

But that makes it a very Australian batting lineup. Still, they won every World cup that decade so it makes sense.

I am picking Symonds.

2000s XI

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
MS Dhoni
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Brett Lee
Glenn Mcgrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Daemon

Yeah Flintoff wasn't at his best as a lower order batsman was he?

Weird to put Yuvi in a 2000s XI.

If you have a 2005ish-2011 XI then you have a case.

stephen

2010s XI

David Warner
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Kumar Sangakkara
AB Devilliers
Shakib Al Hassan
MS Dhoni
Shahid Afridi
Mitchell Starc
Mitchell Johnson
Morne Morkel
Only one bowler over the decade has 200 wickets (Malinga). Truly an awful decade for bowlers. Would have Ajmal over Afridi (more wickets at a better average and lower economy rate. I'd even consider Rashid Khan - 118 wickets @14. Sure most were vs minnows but he's a gun.

Would also consider Steyn over Morkel. Though both would do a similar job.

Sharma
Amla
Kohli
Sangakkara
De Villiers
Dhoni+
Shakib
Starc
Johnson
Morkel
Khan

Daemon

I'd have Buttler over Dhoni in a 2010s XI.

Dhoni's been crap for more or less half the decade.

stephen

I'd have Buttler over Dhoni in a 2010s XI.

Dhoni's been crap for more or less half the decade.
Yeah it was a toss up. Buttler would probably work better with this team due to his strike rate. Dhoni averages 50 @ 85 while Buttler averages 40 @ 115.

vcs

Gary Gilmour has far superior statistics to Botham (and pretty much any other all-rounder in history) but he only played 5 games.

I'm not sure how many ODIs were actually played during the '70s but I still feel like 5 games is cutting it a bit thin. Definitely wouldn't argue against picking him though, he had a special few games.

Don't know much about Collis King but his stats are garbage
Learn some cricket history FFS.

Since World Cup finals are apparently the only ODI matches that count, he's one of the greatest ODI batsmen of all time

Last edited:

Burgey

Correct. Were it not for Imran’s 70 odd in the 92 final, King would have been in with a shot at making the all rounder spot in my definitive ATG XI posted yesterday.

Unfortunately we can’t discuss this further, because after I posted that XI, the thread was closed.

Last edited:

vcs

You need to replace Ponting with Mahela Jayawardene in that XI. Ponting was playing second fiddle to Martyn for most of his innings, and Jayawardene didn't have a great platform laid for him. Moreover, he didn't fail in 3 out of 4 of the meaningful ODIs he played in his career.

Burgey

You need to replace Ponting with Mahela Jayawardene in that XI. Ponting was playing second fiddle to Martyn for most of his innings, and Jayawardene didn't have a great platform laid for him. Moreover, he didn't fail in 3 out of 4 of the meaningful ODIs he played in his career.
Pffft. He won his team the WC final. Did it as skipper too.