• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar
Watson
Ponting
Kohli (c)
de Villiers (wk)
Bevan
Symonds
Klusener
Akram
Saqlain
McGrath

#batdeep. Slight weakness with the 4th and 5th bowler but between them Symonds/Klusener/Watson can be pretty effective at restricting the runs IMO and the extra batting power makes up for it

OverratedSanity

Don't see much value in Symonds at number 7 and if he has to bowl more than 3-4 overs he'd be a liability in an all time scenario. Pollock's the obviously superior choice for that spot. Just switch his position with klusener's.

TheJediBrah

Don't see much value in Symonds at number 7 and if he has to bowl more than 3-4 overs he'd be a liability in an all time scenario. Pollock's the obviously superior choice for that spot. Just switch his position with klusener's.
That's the trade off I'm going with. Sacrificing a bowler to add a bit of batting power. And Symonds adds a lot of value at 7 IMO. Even his fielding alone is almost worth the selection, not sure if you'd seen much of Symonds fielding

I'd consider Pollock but I'd play him in Akram's spot.

A big part of picking Ponting was fielding too

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Ponting's fielding, specifically his ability to create run out opportunities at a ridiculously consistent rate, should be a real factor in his favour

TheJediBrah

Yeah Ponting's fielding, specifically his ability to create run out opportunities at a ridiculously consistent rate, should be a real factor in his favour
With Tendulkar, Watson & Bevan in the side (and AB stuck behind the stumps) I felt it was important to get Ponting & Symonds in there. It's not like it's a real stretch for them to play either, they more or less deserve the spot based on their primary skills alone

Bolo

State Captain
Watson is a strange case. I dont really think of him as an atg, but im still picking him to open in my atg xi.

Bolo

State Captain
he is absolutely an odi atg
There are probably 5++ of his teammates whose names would come to mind before him if i was to make a top down list of odi greats. I might find room for one of them. It's odd that he cracks the nod under the circumstances.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
True. Let me rephrase as there are way more than 10 players in history I regard as clearly greater than him
Yes but how many better all rounders? That's the spot he is filling. There are Klusener and Jayasuriya that I rate. And there are Kapil and Symonds that I don't rate as much.

Bolo

State Captain
List of right arm seam allrounders off the top of my head I'd consider comparable to or greater than Watto:

Imran, kapil, kallis, klusener, pollock, flintoff, symonds(kinda).

I might fit one of these guys into my team.

OverratedSanity

List of right arm seam allrounders off the top of my head I'd consider comparable to or greater than Watto:

Imran, kapil, kallis, klusener, pollock, flintoff, symonds(kinda).

I might fit one of these guys into my team.
Watson's role is different though. He's a batting all rounder, and only Kallis and Symonds from your list perform a similar role to Watson's. Watson is significantly better than both of them, atleast imo.