• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
He just played his first FC game in >2 years

I'd still pick him tbh, given the state of the other batting options.
This 100%. Even just through experience and a proven test record he will add something.

Woodster

International Captain
Prediction time. England to win 2-0, with one West Indies dominated draw. West Indies seamers to cause a lot of problems for England's batting, exposing a few as overrated or not good enough (Jennings and Butler IMHO). One or two of our batsmen to play excellent innings, but not at the same time. Ultimately, England's lower order batting ability and bowling resources for all conditions will be too strong.

I think Joe Root will score a lot of runs and Broad will take a lot of wickets. For us, I expect Gabriel to cause a lot of problems and am backing Shimron Hetmeyer to really make a statement with his batting in this series.

My predicted lineups:

Windies: Brooks, Joseph and Thomas to miss out as the pitch will offer late turn

Braithwaite
Campbell
Hope
Bravo
Chase
Hetmeyer
Dowrich (wk)
Holder
Warrican
Roach
Gabriel

England: Only one spinner as they will want Curran swinging the Dukes ball alongside Jimmy. Broad to make it due to his form in training. Root the second spin option.

Jennings
Burns
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Butler
Foakes (wk)
Ali
Curran
Broad
Anderson
The only player I'd question in that configuration of that England side would be Sam Curran. It may be we go with another spinner should conditions dictate, and in my opinion I'd have loved to have seen Olly Stone get a go ahead of Curran had he retained his fitness. Curran has undoubtedly had an excellent start to his Test career with both bat and ball and there is plenty to like. The fact he offers something with his left-arm angle and will help to bring Moeen in with the footmarks is an obvious benefit, but I would have preferred some out and out pace as the 'something different' in the line-up.

Beamer

The only player I'd question in that configuration of that England side would be Sam Curran. It may be we go with another spinner should conditions dictate, and in my opinion I'd have loved to have seen Olly Stone get a go ahead of Curran had he retained his fitness. Curran has undoubtedly had an excellent start to his Test career with both bat and ball and there is plenty to like. The fact he offers something with his left-arm angle and will help to bring Moeen in with the footmarks is an obvious benefit, but I would have preferred some out and out pace as the 'something different' in the line-up.
Agreed but I think they will view Curran's left arm angle as something different and his batting ability as a huge bonus.

theegyptian

This photo. Root in deep thought on who to drop. It's all too much for old man Bayliss who is drifting off. Buttler picking his nose. Silverwood and Fairbace checking out something.

theegyptian

Reading the previews the English press don't seem sure of how England will go. 4 seamers and a spinner, or 3 seamers and 2 spinners. Suggest Broad may miss out. No-one's quite sure about the wicket. Stuart Broad faces axe as England ponder two spinners for Barbados Test | ESPNcricinfo.com https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket...nd-forget-ashes-ponders-leaving-stuart-broad/

They have all these options but whatever team they pick is likely to be vulnerable. 3 seamers with Anderson, Curran and Stokes looks light if it turns out to offer more for the seamers. 4 seamers and Ali looks vulnerable if it rags square. If they wanted to be ruthless they could drop Jennings and promote Bairstow to open to allow 6 bowlers, but they still have an issue of finding someone to bat 3 given Root doesn't want to bat there. Or if Root wants to stay at 4, then drop one of the keepers and play the extra bowler - but all the keepers are massively in credit.

Were it not for Bairstow's injury in Sri Lanka, and the subsequent callup and success of Foakes, then it would be an easy 4 seamers and 2 spinners route as they used last summer in England.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Predictions:

Result: 2-1 England

Runs: Bairstow, Hope
Wickets: Ali, Holder

Better than expected: Broad, Gabriel
Worse than expected: Bravo, Leach

Miscellaneous predictions: England to collapse in one test, ***** to only post during that period

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Predictions:

Result 3-0 England

Runs Burns Buttler Bravo
Wickets Gabriel Curran

Player of Series Ali

Other Prediction - Jennings to pass 50 only once in the series

Borges

International Regular
England are far too strong for the West Indies. The best chance for the home side is to prepare pitches which will favour quick bowlers to an unreasonable extent.

Woodster

International Captain
I’m going to go 2-0 to England but I don’t think it’ll be as straightforward as that scoreline may suggest.

Top Runscorers - Ben Stokes for England and Shai Hope for WI.

Top Wicket-takers - Jimmy Anderson for England and Shannon Gabriel for WI.

Other Prediction - Rory Burns to consolidate his position as England’s opener with a three 50+ scores, going big in one of them.

Woodster

International Captain
Rashid over Leach is bull****, glad Curran is playing instead of Broad tho.
Do you think it’s a case of hedging their bets as they’re not sure how much it’s going to turn? If it doesn’t turn a great deal then maybe they don’t fancy two finger spinners and Rashid does turn it more than either of them.

Beamer

Good positive decision to bat first given the weakness of our batting. If we can somehow get some runs on the board it will bring our attack right into play which is our best chance.

Interesting that England have gone with two spinners whilst we have chose none! 4 prong time!

theegyptian

I'd have played Broad over Rashid.

Bowling looks light. -
Curran useful with the new ball but unproven away from home, and with older ball.
Rashid somewhat of a luxury.
Stokes didn't bowl much in Sri Lanka and yet now possibly much will hinge on how he bowls.

Loads and loads of batting but potentially Rashid at 10 or Curran at 9 may be stranded so might not get full use of all the batting.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd have played Broad over Rashid.

Bowling looks light. -
Curran useful with the new ball but unproven away from home, and with older ball.
Rashid somewhat of a luxury.
Stokes didn't bowl much in Sri Lanka and yet now possibly much will hinge on how he bowls.

Loads and loads of batting but potentially Rashid at 10 or Curran at 9 may be stranded so might not get full use of all the batting.
Yeah mostly agree.

Anderson-Curran-Stokes just isn't enough overs for a complete seam attack. It's not like in SL where you didn't really need to field one.

Windies have picked four fast bowlers and Chase to bowl all the spin, so I doubt we're looking at a big turning deck.

Last edited: