• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian One Day team

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this series worked out pretty well. carey, siddle, usman and stanlake didn't put in good performances. handscomb secured spot #15 in the squad
Stanlake was pretty good. Bowled well with no luck.

Handscomb should be in the team, not just the squad. Him and Smith, with 5 "hitters" to make up the top 7. I guess Smarsh has to play too actually. Carey shouldn't be there, and if they won't pick Wade I wouldn't mind them going full India '03 and giving the gloves to Handscomb just for the WC until they kind develop a keeper good enough to merit a spot.

Warner
Finch/Short
Smarsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Handscomb (wk)
Agar/Zampa
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood/Stanlake/Richardson

There's your 15. Take Wade or Carey as back-up keepers (or front-line if you can't accept Handscomb as keeper) instead of one of the bowlers if you want.

Cow

Banned
Two spinners need to be considered... especially if it's a hot and dry summer in the UK. Rashid and Moeen are Engs best one day bowlers imo.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WC squad:

Finch
Warner
Smith
S Marsh
Stoinis
Maxwell
Wade
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Hazlewood

Handscomb
Richardson
Behrendorff
Lyon/Agar

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Even though Oz has several key ODI players to return, I just can't see them even getting close to winning the WC.

They've been a dire ODI side for a while now; they haven't won consecutive ODIs for two years. That England home series last summer with their best team was the clearest sign of how much they've stagnated.

Which players from the 2015 WC winning side have been as good a performer in the 4 years since, let alone gone up a level? Warner is pretty much the only one who improved since 2015.

And what new players have come through since 2015 to show that they're viable class ODI players? Probably Stoinis but he still has clear limitations. Others have shown promise but nothing more than that.

That they're pointlessly bringing back the likes of
Siddle this close to a WC shows what a mess their planning is.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even though Oz has several key ODI players to return, I just can't see them even getting close to winning the WC.

They've been a dire ODI side for a while now; they haven't won consecutive ODIs for two years. That England home series last summer with their best team was the clearest sign of how much they've stagnated.

Which players from the 2015 WC winning side have been as good a performer in the 4 years since, let alone gone up a level? Warner is pretty much the only one who improved since 2015.

And what new players have come through since 2015 to show that they're viable class ODI players? Probably Stoinis but he still has clear limitations. Others have shown promise but nothing more than that.

That they're pointlessly bringing back the likes of
Siddle this close to a WC shows what a mess their planning is.
They definitely have the potential if they get the right team on the park and peak at the right time. As you say though a huge issue is the planning, selections and coaching. That makes getting the right team on the park a very big 'if'.

Siddle and Lyon in the recent squad was moronic. And if they think they're going to be winning games in England with Khawaja anywhere near the top of the order they're dreaming. He just sucks all the energy out of the innings, running between the wickets is terrible and the less said about his fielding the better. Carey's a liability too at the top of the order, but you'd think Warner will slot in and he'll go down to 7.

Short and Lynn are musts in England.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If Finch was to be dropped (he prob wont be, but if) I'd love to see Maxwell open in the WC with Warner.

It'd either work or it wouldn't, but you wouldn't be left wondering.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think Stoinis is probably the only definite lock in the Aus WC Starting XI haha.
Shaun Marsh has made 4 hundreds and 1 fifty in his last nine ODI innings, so I'd say he'd be a lock.

stephen

I think the key questions Australia need to answer before July are:

1) who is the second spinner to partner Zampa
2) what is the pecking order for the quick bowlers
3) who is the best keeping option and where do they bat

As far as batting lineup goes, Finch, Warner, Smith, S Marsh, Stoinis and Maxwell are all locks. I can't see Australia dropping Finch between now and the WC, especially since he's captain.

On some surfaces in England we may need a second spinner. Do we bring in Lyon, Agar or Turner as this option. Zampa is easily the first choice spinner.

Starc is the first picked quick. It of Cummins and Hazlewood, if both are fit, who plays when we play two spinners? Who is the best quick to come in if there is an injury?

Pending a major form trough for any of our batsmen, I think the best XI basically picks itself when Smith and Warner are available.

stephen

I absolutely believe Wade should keep right now. Carey has done nothing to earn selection and isn't even significantly younger than Wade.

FBU

International Debutant
Mitchell Johnson's WC squad

Glenn Maxwell (c)
Usman Khawaja (vc)
Aaron Finch
David Warner
D’Arcy Short
Steve Smith
Shaun Marsh
Marcus Stoinis
Peter Handscomb (wk)
Pat Cummins
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Mitchell Starc
Jhye Richardson
AJ Tye
Adam Zampa

I'd keep Short and Tye for T20s.

stephen

Picking Handscomb to keep is a bit of a head scratcher.

He absolutely should be reserve keeper though.

And no Haze is just bizarre.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I like Mitch but not too keen on that squad. Don't trust Handscomb as a full time keeper, and frankly there's about 5 or 6 guys who should be well ahead of Tye on current form

howardj

International Coach
I think the selectors need to think about the type of cricket that will be played over there in England

England in 2018 versus Australia scored:

342 in 50 overs
481 in 50 overs
314 in 44 overs

It's going to be flat wickets, small grounds, and massive totals

We need grunt under the bonnet with the batting

And I think two spinners

stephen

I think the selectors need to think about the type of cricket that will be played over there in England

England in 2018 versus Australia scored:

342 in 50 overs
481 in 50 overs
314 in 44 overs

It's going to be flat wickets, small grounds, and massive totals

We need grunt under the bonnet with the batting

And I think two spinners
What would your First XI be?