• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most comprehensive defeats of Australia in their own backyard

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith had never yet faced a bowler with the same arm flailing tube doll technique he himself uses. He'd have been found out obviously.

Burgey

Kohli was way below average this series.. the one hundred notwithstanding. And for most of the series they were saddled with two non performing openers. And they lost their premier spinner after the first test.

Hypothetically even if Smith and Warner were around they weren't immune from having a bad series with this quality bowling India had.
Maybe Kohli’s series here last time was an aberration and Australia are able to keep a lid on him? Pujara has burned them a lot more over the years than Kohli has.

Chrish

International Debutant
I don't think Smith would average 200 and Warner 100 this series like last time. This Indian bowling unit is vastly superior to the one that got belted previously. Bhumrah is amazing.. Ishant is vastly improved etc. Moreover, wickets have been more sporting this series too as in comparison with previous highways.

India would be competitive even if Smith/ Warner were playing although they wouldn't win the series IMO.

Burgey

Steve Smith as we all know is practically a god at home, ditto David Warner. Imo it's much more likely that one or both of them would have made runs than they both fail. Anybody who thinks Steve Smith or Warner wouldn't have made a difference is kidding themselves. Period.
While this is very likely true, it doesn’t detract from India winning. Good luck to them. Been far more disciplined among everything else. They deserve a lot of kudos for that.

Better to save the Smith/ Warner thing for when the numpties get too uppity down the track rather than attempt to use it as an excuse now.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Steve Smith as we all know is practically a god at home, ditto David Warner. Imo it's much more likely that one or both of them would have made runs than they both fail. Anybody who thinks Steve Smith or Warner wouldn't have made a difference is kidding themselves. Period.
A lot of Aussie batsmen are home bullies.

Burgey

Unfortunately not. I'm blaming the tendency to forget things that are unpleasant. My only memory of the England series is the crowd turning on Clarke at the MCG. The rest is fog.
How do you go about saying the bowlers didn’t trouble India’s batsmen this series, is what I mean? Massive score here but before that the next highest was 440 odd batting first in Melbourne with four dropped catches. I think you’re being a bit harsh here.

sunilz

International Regular
Smith and Warner would have definitely made huge difference to this series and who knows Aus might have also won this series instead of losing.

However when Aus won in India in 2004 Tendulkar didn't play in first 2 test and rain saved them from certain defeat in 2nd test .

Also when Aus toured Ind in 2001 , Kumble didn't play entire series and Srinath didn't play in last 2 tests ( Please check record of Srinath in Asia )

So let's not pretend that AUS never faced weakened IND side .

TheJediBrah

How do you go about saying the bowlers didn’t trouble India’s batsmen this series, is what I mean? Massive score here but before that the next highest was 440 odd batting first in Melbourne with four dropped catches. I think you’re being a bit harsh here.
I've said this a few times but the bowlers are hardly at fault. First 2 Tests they were excellent. 3rd Test lost the mother of all tosses and bowled very well on day 1 on a absolute slow road, in 35 degree heat. After that they were ****ed and never had a chance to recover.

Smith and Warner would have definitely made huge difference to this series and who knows Aus might have also won this series instead of losing.

However when Aus won in India in 2004 Tendulkar didn't play in first 2 test and rain saved them from certain defeat in 2nd test .

Also when Aus toured Ind in 2001 , Kumble didn't play entire series and Srinath didn't play in last 2 tests ( Please check record of Srinath in Asia )

This has nothing to do with anything. Why are you bringing up Aus tours to India as if it's some kind of competition? Stop being so insecure m8

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular

OverratedSanity

They also somehow got a perfect greentop with pace and bounce for their pacers at Nagpur. Overseas pitch doctoring ffs.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They also somehow got a perfect greentop with pace and bounce for their pacers at Nagpur. Overseas pitch doctoring ffs.
Greentops aren't brown and don't turn (and have associated with little sprays of dirt upon impact) on the first day. Tend to be hardest batting first and not provide a total of 398 either.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah, Smith *only* averages about 50 to 55 away doesn’t he?
Are you trolling sir ?

I said a lot of Aussie batsmen have inflated records at home but were truly exposed this summer. There is nothing that precludes Warner or Smith from.it.

TheJediBrah

Are you trolling sir ?

I said a lot of Aussie batsmen have inflated records at home but were truly exposed this summer. There is nothing that precludes Warner or Smith from.it.
Who were you referring to? Other than Khawaja hardly any of them have really played at home, or have inflated records (they all average <35).

Not sure you know what precludes means either, because that doesn't really make sense

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To commemorate such a low point should hold a Remembrance ceremony for Australian Cricket, attended by all the sorrowing friends and acquaintances imo. Then cremate something and send the ashes home with India.

Just need something representing 'The Body' of Australian Cricket for said cremation - yellow sandpaper? the WACA ground? the Marsh brothers? There are many options.
I think all of those items listed would do nicely.

Smith had never yet faced a bowler with the same arm flailing tube doll technique he himself uses. He'd have been found out obviously.
A shame that Harbhajan was dropped exactly when Smith was recalled in 2013

Last edited:

vcs

I don't think we're playing much Test cricket this coming year. Good news is England cannot overtake us even if they beat WI 3-0 (likely) and Australia 5-0 (unlikely). :)

However it would have been nice to have the opportunity to close out this one and stretch the lead a bit further. Damn the Sydney weather.

OverratedSanity

I don't think we're playing much Test cricket this coming year. Good news is England cannot overtake us even if they beat WI 3-0 (likely) and Australia 5-0 (unlikely). :)

However it would have been nice to have the opportunity to close out this one and stretch the lead a bit further. Damn the Sydney weather.
SA could well overtake us soon I think.

sunilz

International Regular

SA will overtake us . We are losing points in March and they are gaining points after Rankings update. This Sydney test match victory was needed to retain no.1 rankings .