• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2018

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Ermmm...why?
Latham, KW, Ross aren't bad at all.

Henry is good at sweeping, can handle spin.

Jeet Raval is an Indian, grew up playing rep Cricket In India.

Even Watling isn't bad.

At this rate send Young back and while we're at it send Ravindra as well. Heard he was terrific against spin in Dubai recently.

Flem274*

123/5
got to admit that while i thought we'd get skittled by yasir for 150-200 after i saw some of the massive turn sodhi got, even i wasn't picking 90 all out after making it through yesterday unharmed on what is essentially a turny motorway

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
i love ross but he needs to do more than just feast on the dregs of sri lanka and bangers this summer.

you expect 90 all out from soft 40 merchants like latham but ross is made of sterner stuff and is the #2 batsman. come on man you carried this team from dayboo to kane finally getting it together in 2012
You can stick a fork in him, because he's done, at least in these sorts of conditions. He's always been an eye-reliant player rather than a technician, and they always finish up early. Hopefully he can cobble together a hundred on a day 3 seamy road later this summer and surpass MD, but I don't expect too much more from him. Just have to hope that his nous for ODI run-scoring sticks around until the World cup.

Flem274*

123/5
You can stick a fork in him, because he's done, at least in these sorts of conditions. He's always been an eye-reliant player rather than a technician, and they always finish up early. Hopefully he can cobble together a hundred on a day 3 seamy road later this summer and surpass MD, but I don't expect too much more from him. Just have to hope that his nous for ODI run-scoring sticks around until the World cup.
you said this the game before the 290

he always looks trash until he gets to 20. he's got the mental strength to push through this. if he looks this clueless in pace bowling or home conditions then yes he's gone.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Latham, KW, Ross aren't bad at all.

Henry is good at sweeping, can handle spin.

Jeet Raval is an Indian, grew up playing rep Cricket In India.

Even Watling isn't bad.

At this rate send Young back and while we're at it send Ravindra as well. Heard he was terrific against spin in Dubai recently.
Ross has been garbage against spin for years - go back and check out his output on NZ's last tour of India. KW yes, but Latham is just not the sort of player you can expect big scores out of. Henry, for all his pluck, has significant technical deficiencies that will always restrain him from being anything more than quite good. Raval hasn't played in India since he was a child, and Watling has always struggled in Asia (except on a couple of mud strips in Bangladesh). Speak nothing of Colin, or our slog happy lower-order. Really, the only way we'll ever make runs in spinning conditions atm is if Kane goes big and 2 or 3 guys chip in with handy 50's, and you just can't rely on that happening more than once a series.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
you said this the game before the 290

he always looks trash until he gets to 20. he's got the mental strength to push through this. if he looks this clueless in pace bowling or home conditions then yes he's gone.
I didn't say he wouldn't be able to make a contribution of some sort once restored to the green grass of home, but I'd say that after his showing on tour so far, it's probably time to start considering the possibility that he might not be deserving of a place for next year's tour of SRL.

Flem274*

123/5
bmac was always underrated in spin friendly conditions. put him higher up the order to get in against the pacers and he'd have the oppo skipper thinking more about containment than men around the bat. he could bat time in those conditions too if need be (india tour where he scored a lot of runs)

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Ross has been garbage against spin for years - go back and check out his output on NZ's last tour of India. KW yes, but Latham is just not the sort of player you can expect big scores out of. Henry, for all his pluck, has significant technical deficiencies that will always restrain him from being anything more than quite good. Raval hasn't played in India since he was a child, and Watling has always struggled in Asia (except on a couple of mud strips in Bangladesh). Speak nothing of Colin, or our slog happy lower-order. Really, the only way we'll ever make runs in spinning conditions atm is if Kane goes big and 2 or 3 guys chip in with handy 50's, and you just can't rely on that happening more than once a series.
Maybe I'm overrating them, perhaps my memories are all from one day. I thought we are the best traveling team to sub continent. Of course England has caught up over the last few years.

We even won a series and the recent test match.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe I'm overrating them, perhaps my memories are all from one day. I thought we are the best traveling team to sub continent. Of course England has caught up over the last few years.

We even won a series and the recent test match.
We haven't won a series in the subcontinent since we beat Sri Lanka back in the 80's (not counting oughties Bangladesh obvz). The recent test match was a very, very good effort by the bowlers and fielders, but it's worth remembering that the batsmen made barely 400 across two innings, despite getting the best batting conditions on day 1. We're probably not any worse at travelling than South Africa and full-strength Australia, but that's not saying much and we're certainly not a strong side against spin.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
bmac was always underrated in spin friendly conditions. put him higher up the order to get in against the pacers and he'd have the oppo skipper thinking more about containment than men around the bat. he could bat time in those conditions too if need be (india tour where he scored a lot of runs)
Yeah, they showed the list of highest averages for touring batsmen in Asia since 2010, and McCullum was up there. A bit inconsistent with his two double-hundreds and not a whole lot else, but his natural talent and his array of strokes made him a real threat that could help to break the spinner's rhythm. His absence is a big part of the reason why we haven't really fired a shot on our last 2 Asian tours.

Flem274*

123/5
boult and wagner combined for 71 overs of bowling on this

i'd say i wouldn't want to be one of the batsmen in the nets facing wagner after this, but the net decks will probably be just as punishing for pace bowling as the test pitches so they'll get to feast on sodhi long hops instead

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Could see this collapse coming a mile away , yasir is a quality dangerous spinner and quite frankly several of the nd top order aren't test standard or out of form , e.g. raval Latham taylor degrandhomme but only will young is pushing for a place.