• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cribbage's Standardised Test Averages (UPDATED November 2018 - posts 753-755)

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always interesting to see how players stack up against their peers.

Bradman>>>>>>>>>Hammond>>Headley is no surprise but Gavaskar>Chappell>Viv is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Always interesting to see how players stack up against their peers.

Bradman>>>>>>>>>Hammond>>Headley is no surprise but Gavaskar>Chappell>Viv is.
Chappell has by far the highest standardised average of that lot, just played about five less years. If we included WSC, which he dominated, he'd probably be ahead of Sunny.

Viv never comes out well on these things unless people isolate peaks.

SillyCowCorner1

Consistency is key.

Good to see Marshall ahead of Ambrose ahead of Walsh. I would take Garner above Walsh personally.

And oh, Lance Gibbs finally broke through into the top 30.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
2-Nov-2018
Pace-friendliness:
1. West Indies - 1.44
2. England - 1.25
3. Zimbabwe - 1.23
4. New Zealand - 1.11
5. South Africa - 1.09
6. Sri Lanka - 0.91
7. Pakistan - 0.90
8. India - 0.88
9. Bangladesh - 0.84
10. Australia - 0.75

Spin-friendliness:
1. Sri Lanka - 1.49
2. India - 1.46
3. Bangladesh - 1.27
4. West Indies - 1.13
5. England - 1.03
6. Pakistan - 0.98
7. Zimbabwe - 0.93
8. New Zealand - 0.92
9. South Africa - 0.73
10. Australia - 0.69

General friendliness:
1. West Indies - 1.24
2. New Zealand - 1.08
3. Sri Lanka - 1.07
4. Bangladesh - 1.07
5. England - 1.05
6. South Africa - 1.01
7. India - 0.99
8. Pakistan - 0.98
9. Zimbabwe - 0.97
10. Australia - 0.72

Occasionally it gives you something surprising like this West Indies pace result, but you can usually guess them pretty accurately without even having looked at it yet, which I think is a good sign.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Pace-friendliness:
1. West Indies - 1.44
2. England - 1.25
3. Zimbabwe - 1.23
4. New Zealand - 1.11
5. South Africa - 1.09
6. Sri Lanka - 0.91
7. Pakistan - 0.90
8. India - 0.88
9. Bangladesh - 0.84
10. Australia - 0.75

Spin-friendliness:
1. Sri Lanka - 1.49
2. India - 1.46
3. Bangladesh - 1.27
4. West Indies - 1.13
5. England - 1.03
6. Pakistan - 0.98
7. Zimbabwe - 0.93
8. New Zealand - 0.92
9. South Africa - 0.73
10. Australia - 0.69

General friendliness:
1. West Indies - 1.24
2. New Zealand - 1.08
3. Sri Lanka - 1.07
4. Bangladesh - 1.07
5. England - 1.05
6. South Africa - 1.01
7. India - 0.99
8. Pakistan - 0.98
9. Zimbabwe - 0.97
10. Australia - 0.72

Occasionally it gives you something surprising like this West Indies pace result, but you can usually guess them pretty accurately without even having looked at it yet, which I think is a good sign.
So, everything else remaining the same, if Ashwin takes 69/3 in India that's equivalent to Lyon taking 146/3 in Australia?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So, everything else remaining the same, if Ashwin takes 69/3 in India that's equivalent to Lyon taking 146/3 in Australia?
Yeah, assuming they were playing against the same batting lineup and both games happened in November this year.

EDIT: Also assuming they were both on the home side, but I think that's a safe assumption, haha.

Last edited:

trundler

Fazal over Waqar seems odd, obviously. Fazal's home games were played on the mat and Pakistani pitches since have been far less bowling friendly. Is that it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, I just noticed that Dilruwan Perera got BTFO. 32 --> 44. That's what you get for only getting picked at home on pitches made for your bowling and still not averaging under 30. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fazal over Waqar seems odd, obviously. Fazal's home games were played on the mat and Pakistani pitches since have been far less bowling friendly. Is that it?
We're talking pretty fine margins in general here. Waqar's average went up 2, Fazal's went down 1.5 and they ended up on nearly exactly the same value points. It's probably going to be hard to notice an obvious explanation for such small changes without going through their games one by one and seeing what it did with them. I might have a crack at that tomorrow and post the results up.

trundler

Davidson well clear of Trueman. Your method takes into account home conditions very well PEWS.

SillyCowCorner1

Haha, I just noticed that Dilruwan Perera got BTFO. 32 --> 44. That's what you get for only getting picked at home on pitches made for your bowling and still not averaging under 30. :p
Good for him. He's one of the few SL spinners to have over 100 wickets in tests; in fact , he's #3 after Murali and the GOAT Herath

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rabada is going with ATG standardised average.

Chanderpaul's batting ranking is a bit of a put-off for me personally.