• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are multi-format greats a thing of past?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If you take a batsmens tests and odi averages and put them together it seems the minimum standard for a 'great' player to be at is Just over 80. Mark Waugh for instance is considered a top tier player of his time and had a 41 and 39 average. Kevin Pietersen is then 47 and 40 which puts him at 87. Matthews sits comfortably inbetween the 2 on 85, with the added bonus of being a genuine 5 bowling option in tests and odis.
This is a good metric and I will have the total for an ATG multi format batsman at >90 with ODI strike rate >85. Anyone with good cricinfo statsguru skills be able to provide the list of batsmen with this criteria? Likewise, for a bowler, total average should be less than 60 with economy less than 5. Yes, and all this with a minimum criteria of >3000 runs or >100 wickets across formats.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you take a batsmens tests and odi averages and put them together it seems the minimum standard for a 'great' player to be at is Just over 80
Never heard that before. Sounds like bollocks.

Mark Waugh for instance is considered a top tier player of his time and had a 41 and 39 average.
No, he isn't close to a top tier test player and I've near heard anyone suggest otherwise. Bollocks.

Kevin Pietersen is then 47 and 40 which puts him at 87.
He's not a top tier player either, at least in tests, though he was close he couldn't quite make it.

Matthews sits comfortably inbetween the 2 on 85, with the added bonus of being a genuine 5 bowling option in tests and odis.
You can't add together averages like that. ODI and test cricket are two different things and being great at one doesn't mean being great at the other. And he's not a genuine fifth bowler in tests at least, he's been of parttime standard for a long time and regularly gets injured due to his bowling.

All in all, a lot of bollocks.

stephen

This is a good metric and I will have the total for an ATG multi format batsman at >90 with ODI strike rate >85. Anyone with good cricinfo statsguru skills be able to provide the list of batsmen with this criteria? Likewise, for a bowler, total average should be less than 60 with economy less than 5. Yes, and all this with a minimum criteria of >3000 runs or >100 wickets across formats.
People who are not greats according to this metric:

Sangakkara
Ponting
Lara
De Silva
Anwar
Haynes
M Waugh
Clarke
S Waugh
G Smith
Bevan
Hayden
Jones

Very few batsmen in ODI history have struck at >85. It's really only modern batsmen with the 2 new balls, fielding restrictions, ripped in boundaries and super bats that strike at greater than 85 consistently.

Greenidge struck at less than 65 and most people consider him a great ODI batsman.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you take a batsmens tests and odi averages and put them together it seems the minimum standard for a 'great' player to be at is Just over 80. Mark Waugh for instance is considered a top tier player of his time and had a 41 and 39 average. Kevin Pietersen is then 47 and 40 which puts him at 87. Matthews sits comfortably inbetween the 2 on 85, with the added bonus of being a genuine 5 bowling option in tests and odis.
Sorry m8 but I don't think averaging 40 in Mark Waugh's time against his opposition is the same as in Mathew's time against his opposition. We need to put a disclaimer in Cricketweb about comparing between these eras it seems.

And neither is Mark Waugh top tier anyway

harsh.ag

Yeah, the guy who, since moving from #7 to the top order, has scored 2964 runs at an average of 49 and SR of 86 is the Kumble of ODIs. Okay.

stephen

Yeah just because Smith in ODIs isn't Kohli doesn't mean he's not seriously good. He's actually probably about what Kohli is in tests, if that makes sense.

It still pisses me off that he's banned.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I said top tier batsman of his time which he probably was considered in the top bracket of bats in the 90s. Or wasn't he?
And if you say mark Waugh had to face better bowling back then, then you can also say that he was only expected to score at 4.5 rpo for a par score in those days.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I said top tier batsman of his time which he probably was considered in the top bracket of bats in the 90s. Or wasn't he?
Not really

And if you say mark Waugh had to face better bowling back then, then you can also say that he was only expected to score at 4.5 rpo for a par score in those days.
well yes, but that does the opposite of support your point

Yeah, the guy who, since moving from #7 to the top order, has scored 2964 runs at an average of 49 and SR of 86 is the Kumble of ODIs. Okay.
what don't you agree with about that?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mathew' bowling has always been extremely overhyped.
There was definitely a period in which it was genuinely good in ODis. He had a very defined role and probably wouldn't have been getting selected on bowling alone in every game, but I don't think it was overhyped in that period.

He's never really done anything with the ball in Tests though, and people have assumed his bowling is a thing in ODIs for quite a bit longer than it actually was.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sachins ODI Stats, since Kohli's debut, actually better than Smith's top order stats iirc. 50avg at 90 plus strike rate. And it was Sachin's declining stage

harsh.ag

After the 2011 WC, Sachin played 10 ODIs, scoring 315 runs at an average of 31 and SR of 81. That's the declining stage.

Burner

International Regular
Yeah just because Smith in ODIs isn't Kohli doesn't mean he's not seriously good. He's actually probably about what Kohli is in tests, if that makes sense.

It still pisses me off that he's banned.
He's not. Being Kohli in tests would be him averaging 50 at a SR of 90 with at least 20 tons to his name. He's quite far off from that.