• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup draft, a player from each WC must be picked

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but this draft is specifically about world cups.

If I could choose between Warne and Saqlain to play in a world cup final for me I'd take Warne in a heartbeat, particularly on unfriendly surfaces.
Mr Mister said it is on overall ODI performances (see page 2)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Saqlain is overrated? In ODIs? :laugh:

How are people not embarrassed about expressing such views? Like seriously.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but this draft is specifically about world cups.

If I could choose between Warne and Saqlain to play in a world cup final for me I'd take Warne in a heartbeat, particularly on unfriendly surfaces.
Did you ever watch a game other than Australia's? Saqlain was superb on all surfaces. This is such **** posting.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Gutted! I was going to pick Bevan Congdon (ODI average of 56 and a useful part-timer), but he didn't play in the 75 CWC and had retired before 79

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saqlain is overrated? In ODIs? :laugh:

How are people not embarrassed about expressing such views? Like seriously.
Did you ever watch a game other than Australia's? Saqlain was superb on all surfaces. This is such **** posting.
I didn't say he was bad. I just said overrated.

If he was as great as people on this forum make out, why did his career end when he was 28 years old? Why did he only significantly contribute in one world cup? He had a pretty amazing first 5 years but got figured out somewhat after that.

It's a hard pill to swallow that a guy who got dropped for good before he turned 30 was one of the greatest 2 spin bowlers of all time.

Murali and Warne both significantly contributed to world cup wins. Saqlain was good in 1999 but didn't really contribute in either the semi or the final (not that I blame him for the final loss - Warne won it in the first innings).

Saqlain was an innovator and a gun. But he was not as great as his stats suggest. If he was he would never have been dropped so soon in his career. Given the prevalence of the doosra in modern cricket, if he played today he would not have anywhere near the record he has. Warne and Murali both had skills that were far more resilient to long term success.

He's a bit like Safraz Nawaz - a great innovator but probably wouldn't be as successful in today's environment where everyone can use his tricks.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne didn't play ODIs after 2003 and Australia's dominance was largely unaffected. Saqlain didn't get dropped either. That's a stupid statement regardless as selection politics in Pakistani cricket is horrid. He was a wicket taker. Way more fifers and WPM. Ridiculous.

trundler

Warne is better than his stats suggest based on this narrow, arbitrary measure whilst Saqlain isn worse than his stats and you have to make up a baseless hypothetical scenario to support that. Ridiculous. Would he not have made it past grade cricket if he had been Australian too?

Bolo

State Captain
Fmd people under rate Australian players on this forum. Warne should have gone forest round given he basically won the 99 WC single handedly. Morgieb should gave picked him up second round to have the best spin bowling attack by 13 country miles.
Hmm...

Either everyone from everywhere other than Aussies underate AUS players or Aussies overate them. One of these is distinctly more plausible than the other.

Everyone overate players from their own countries. It's natural, even if you take the patriotism factor out of it- we know more about them and have spent more time watching them. But the Aussies on CW can be particularly myopic.

trundler

I believe it is my turn now, owing to timeouts.

Edit: ah still in round 3. My bad.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Andrew Symonds

CricZo XI

3. Ricky Ponting / (c) - 1996, 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011
5. Andrew Symonds / o - 2003, 2007
7. Kapil Dev o / - 1979, 1983, 1987, 1992
10. Dale Steyn o - 2011, 2015

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend