• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It would have been hilarious if it was Notts mind considering their recent raiding expeditions (of division two teams). ''England only care about division one runs so I''ll...rejoin division two!!''.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Another disadvantage though would be the idea of finals going against the concept of a league. I'd like the feel of a CC final, but the bacon and egg tie-wearing traditionalists are unlikely to feel it as being in the spirit of the Championship. That said, the Championship is barely followed now anyway and so having a final match to follow towards could make things slightly easier to follow and generally be more exciting. Also someone mentioned earlier that Surrey had probably been on the piss having already won the CC when dismissed for 67, so effectively pointless matches could be avoided by having a final as I think you mentioned.
I'm not convinced that you have to be an egg tie wearing traditionalist to think that a league should be determined by matches over the whole season rather than a subsequent knock-out match. Just as Manchester City were quite rightly not required to win a play-off against whoever finished second to determine who won the EPL last season. It's kind of the whole point of a league, isn't it?

Not that things don't need changing, because they definitely do. But not the way you're suggesting.

andmark

International Captain
I'm not convinced that you have to be an egg tie wearing traditionalist to think that a league should be determined by matches over the whole season rather than a subsequent knock-out match. Just as Manchester City were quite rightly not required to win a play-off against whoever finished second to determine who won the EPL last season. It's kind of the whole point of a league, isn't it?

Not that things don't need changing, because they definitely do. But not the way you're suggesting.
RE the first paragraph: I wouldn't say that you need to wear an MCC tie to be opposed to the league-knock out switch, rather that they would be the ones likely to most enthusiastically defend the league concept.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
If Roy hadn't managed to **** himself with his own cricket bat chances are he would be going on the test tour of SL. Sounded like England were tempted to pick him but it was just one gamble too much given he hadn't played any fc cricket this season until last week.

Joe Clarke with his classical dismissal. You go back through the season and you could make a compilation video of him getting bowled through the gate with the ball angling in. Massive gap between bad and pad as he attempts to drive and then the bottom hand coming off the bat as he plays the shot. Every ****ing week (or twice a game in this Yorkshire game).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If Roy hadn't managed to **** himself with his own cricket bat chances are he would be going on the test tour of SL. Sounded like England were tempted to pick him but it was just one gamble too much given he hadn't played any fc cricket this season until last week.

Joe Clarke with his classical dismissal. You go back through the season and you could make a compilation video of him getting bowled through the gate with the ball angling in. Massive gap between bad and pad as he attempts to drive and then the bottom hand coming off the bat as he plays the shot. Every ****ing week (or twice a game in this Yorkshire game).
I'd be interested to hear your views on Ollie Pope, if you've watched much of him. I see he's just helped himself to a run-a-ball hundred against a pretty decent Essex attack. His fifth FC ton, I think, which isn't bad before his 21st birthday.

EDIT
And gone. Serves me right really.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Not sure where else to put this.

The England Lions squad for the tour of the UAE has been named. The team will take part in one four-day 'Test' versus Pakistan A, as well as five A team 'ODIs' and two A Team 'IT20s' against the same opposition.

Kent's Sam Billings – fresh from captaining his county to promotion in the Specsavers County Championship – is named in the four-day squad, while there are also call-ups for Surrey's Jason Roy and Durham's Mark Wood.

Worcestershire's Josh Tongue has been named as part of the four-day squad, subject to medical clearance following an injury he picked up in the current round of Specsavers County Championship games.

Billings, Roy, Tongue and Amar Virdi will swap out ahead of the white-ball leg of the tour, to be replaced by Alex Davies, Lewis Gregory, Sam Hain and Saqib Mahmood.

Four-Day squad
Dom Bess (Somerset)
Sam Billings (Kent)
Joe Clarke (Worcestershire)
Nick Gubbins (Middlesex)
Max Holden (Middlesex)
Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Yorkshire)
Liam Livingstone (Lancashire)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Jamie Overton (Somerset)
Matt Parkinson (Lancashire)
Jamie Porter (Essex)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
Josh Tongue (Worcestershire) *Subject to medical clearance
Amar Virdi (Surrey)
Mark Wood (Durham)
50-over and T20 squad
Dom Bess (Somerset)
Joe Clarke (Worcestershire)
Alex Davies (Lancashire)
Lewis Gregory (Somerset)
Nick Gubbins (Middlesex)
Sam Hain (Warwickshire)
Max Holden (Middlesex)
Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Yorkshire)
Liam Livingstone (Lancashire)
Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Jamie Overton (Somerset)
Matt Parkinson (Lancashire)
Jamie Porter (Essex)
Mark Wood (Durham)
England Lions schedule
November 18-21: Four-day match v Pakistan A, Abu Dhabi

November 25: First 50-over match v Pakistan A, Dubai

November 27: Second 50-over match v Pakistan A, Dubai

November 29: Third 50-over match v Pakistan A, Abu Dhabi

December 2: Fourth 50-over match v Pakistan A, Abu Dhabi

December 5: Fifth 50-over match v Pakistan A, Dubai

December 7: First T20 v Pakistan A, Abu Dhabi

December 8: Second T20 v Pakistan A, Abu Dhabi

SeamUp

International Coach
Basically cold shoulders to Vince, Malan, Stoneman which is fair enough.

A team players like Lawrence ,Northeast, Foakes, Westley, Ball, Hameed, Gleeson, Fisher left out.

Performing players like Mitchell, Hildreth, Abell, Coad definitely aren't on their radars.

First time call-ups for Holden and Gregory ? Surprised by Holden. Didn't think he was so high in the pecking order.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Basically cold shoulders to Vince, Malan, Stoneman which is fair enough.

A team players like Lawrence ,Northeast, Foakes, Westley, Ball, Hameed, Gleeson, Fisher left out.

Performing players like Mitchell, Hildreth, Abell, Coad definitely aren't on their radars.

First time call-ups for Holden and Gregory ? Surprised by Holden. Didn't think he was so high in the pecking order.
Virdi strikes me as a bit lucky. His form has dipped somewhat as the season has progressed, and you'd think there's someone out there with a better claim.

SeamUp

International Coach
Virdi strikes me as a bit lucky. His form has dipped somewhat as the season has progressed, and you'd think there's someone out there with a better claim.
I suppose Bess hasn't had the best of seasons either so weren't sure who to pick and gone with the potential. With Parkinson I don't think they would have picked anyone else ?

Billings and Roy getting 4-day look-ins to after Buttler. Look, Buttler has been a success so far but County performances really mean so little now that they feel they have to choose them. Whilst we feel they can do it, why haven't they been consistently reliable in 4-day cricket before ? Big call to go for Billings over Foakes.

I'd be interested to hear your views on Ollie Pope, if you've watched much of him. I see he's just helped himself to a run-a-ball hundred against a pretty decent Essex attack. His fifth FC ton, I think, which isn't bad before his 21st birthday.

EDIT
And gone. Serves me right really.
Pope and Burns are the best two batsmen in the county right now apart from Root. England need to give Burns and Pope a proper chance. Long runs in the side.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Surprised foakes isn't selection as I thought he was thought as 3rd in line after jb and jb. His form hasn't been outstanding but still good enough to not lose his place.
Going by scorecards and my memory of looking at them I would have thought the form keep in the cc the 2nd half of this season was tattersall from Yorkshire. Him and cadmore have seemed to be holding their batting together recently

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Since when has Root played for Slurrey?
What's with the charmless references to 'Slurrey'? About as hilarious as a previous CWer's references to 'York****e' imo.
Perhaps we can discuss the county game without chippy obnoxiousness?

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
What's with the charmless references to 'Slurrey'? About as hilarious as a previous CWer's references to 'York****e' imo.
Perhaps we can discuss the county game without chippy obnoxiousness?
Never saw this kind of objection when SP always crapped up the football threads with his hilarious references to 'Manure'

But if it pleases I'll refer to them by their proper name - South Africa B ;)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Never saw this kind of objection when SP always crapped up the football threads with his hilarious references to 'Manure'
I'm sure nobody was stopping you at the time, so it's a bit odd to raise it here. And you're maybe aware that it was indeed SP with this hilarious misnomers for Yorks and also Surrey back in the day. As you say, it's pretty crappy posting that kind of thing, which is why most of us manage not to.