• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson vs Glenn McGrath - Similarities and differences

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glenn McGrath, Dale Steyn better bowlers than me - James Anderson - ESPNcricinfo

Nice article which gives some insight into his methods

"I heard him say once that he practised for when the ball didn't swing," Anderson said. "So if it did swing, it was a bonus. That philosophy has been a big part of my development. You so often see bowlers pick out a lovely new ball from the bag at nets and it looks great when it swings in the air and nips off the seam with batsmen playing and missing. What about when the ball is 60 overs old, the sun is blazing down, the pitch is flat and there's not a hint of movement? So, at practice, I often take an old ball that looks like it's been chewed by a dog and work on variations and aiming for the top of off stump. That's the quickest way to improve your skills."

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The only thing they have which is similar is they both played a ridiculous amount of games for a fast bowler and both took an enormous amount of wickets. The similarities end there. McGrath was probably the greatest line and length bowler in the history of the game who exploited any weakness in technique and gave numerous batsmen worldwide nightmares. Jimmy is one of the best exponents of swing that there has ever been, what a great combination they would have been had they opened an attack together when at their peaks.
Late career Anderson is every bit the line and length merchant that McGrath was.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Anderson developed the wobble seam delivery for those exact moments when it doesn't swing. He nicked it from Mohammad Asif ahead of the 2010-11 Ashes.

trundler

Think the Hadlee comparison is pretty perfect.

Hadlee didn't play that much in his tear away phase so he got his stats to accurately reflect his greatness.

Anderson, on the other hand, played a lot. He debuted pretty young too. Explains why he didn't have the best initiation to test cricket. Awesome after that though.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

I just think Jimmy is brilliant. His stats are a major inconvenience for Australians and other detractors. He is meek as a lamb off the field yet turns into an expert sledger on it. He is also a first-rate northerner. Ohh Jimmy Jimmy. Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Anderson.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beat McGrath statistically? Jeez, you're saying he's better than Marshall too? Being a quality over quantity person, I'd rather compare their averages.

S.Kennedy

When Jimmy beats Warne I suspect the Aussies will still be saying that ''he needs a few clouds''.

Daemon

Was Anderson ever the best bowler in the world during his career? Post Steyn it seems like Rabada has picked up that title. Maybe in between Steyn and Rabada.

S.Kennedy

Was Anderson ever the best bowler in the world during his career? Post Steyn it seems like Rabada has picked up that title. Maybe in between Steyn and Rabada.
Best bowler that annoys Australians, so he is my pick.

TheJediBrah

I'd like to say Anderson is an ATG but then it creates the issue of how to class the multiple fast bowlers who are clearly superior

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to say Anderson is an ATG but then it creates the issue of how to class the multiple fast bowlers who are clearly superior
There was actually this blogger named Dearman who came up with some extensive all-time XI threads for football/soccer teams a few years ago on xtratime.org.

He had a pretty good system imo that involved separate classes. King (gold, silver, bronze), Queen (gold, silver, bronze) and Prince (gold, silver, bronze). Effectively giving us 9 separate categories.

Here is a link to one of his threads: https://www.xtratime.org/forum/348-history-football/247919-all-time-england-squad.html