• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

cnerd123

likes this
Hope Buvi is cleared as fit

I think the pitches are going to be a bit drier and spin friendly given the climate in England right now. Peak summer isn't it? Or just after. Ishant, Umesh and Shami won't be a bad attack. Bit of a long tail tho, means we're locked into Ashwin playing at 8. Or Ashwin at 6 instead of Pandya and going in with two spinners

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bhuvi out is a massive blow. Was going to be India's key bowler in English conditions + a very useful lower order batsman. I think the batting order is strengthened with DK at 6, and they will play Pandya at 7 and Ashwin at 8 + 3 fast bowlers (Umesh, Shami and Ishant). Now, if one of these 3 fast bowlers get injured we are screwed given that we'll have to go in with Thakur.

Shami won't last 5 tests, so India needs Bhuvi or Bumrah to get fit ASAP.

The other question is whether Rahul gets a game. I'd have him play instead of Pujara but I don't think they'll go down that route. Pujara's away Test numbers are horrible and his county cricket performance has been worse than that. We have to use domestic cricket numbers and if he can't get runs against dibbly dobbling county pacers then he's very vulnerable.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Bhuvi out is a massive blow. Was going to be India's key bowler in English conditions + a very useful lower order batsman. I think the batting order is strengthened with DK at 6, and they will play Pandya at 7 and Ashwin at 8 + 3 fast bowlers (Umesh, Shami and Ishant). Now, if one of these 3 fast bowlers get injured we are screwed given that we'll have to go in with Thakur.

Shami won't last 5 tests, so India needs Bhuvi or Bumrah to get fit ASAP.

The other question is whether Rahul gets a game. I'd have him play instead of Pujara but I don't think they'll go down that route. Pujara's away Test numbers are horrible and his county cricket performance has been worse than that. We have to use domestic cricket numbers and if he can't get runs against dibbly dobbling county pacers then he's very vulnerable.
Welcome cow, join the herd. Cow is banned, but we still have a "silly cow corner" to join you in "cow corner".

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shastri and Kohli are basically impulsive people subject to zero oversight who will make just the kind of calls you're apprehensive of.
I'm afraid you're right.

Playing Karthik ahead of Rahul yesterday and throwing Thakur in randomly does not tell me that they have learned their lessons.

EDIT : Oh, and they've also managed to injure Bhuvi by playing him in a format in which he sucks, genius stuff :laugh:

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
This whole "road to the WC" and trying out as many combos as possible doesn't sit well with me. There's also something called stability and security of the eleven; you can't keep players in a perpetual state of competition. It's mentally draining and does not let any real chemistry to happen.

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
I assume India will do this (Bhuvi is a huge loss, Bumrah is a big loss too but other seamers are strong):

Dhawan (FFS)
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Karthik
Pandya
Ashwin
Shami
Umesh
Ishant

cnerd123

likes this
This whole "road to the WC" and trying out as many combos as possible doesn't sit well with me. There's also something called stability and security of the eleven; you can't keep players in a perpetual state of competition. It's mentally draining and does not let any real chemistry to happen.
This 'road to the WC' should have concluded by now. IMO the first 2 years after a WC are about identifying the players who you'll build your team around for the next WC, the 3rd year is where you experiment with combinations and filling in holes, and the last year should be as you said - building chemistry and cohesion

England have done this pretty perfectly IMO

anaksr

U19 Debutant
I assume India will do this (Bhuvi is a huge loss, Bumrah is a big loss too but other seamers are strong):
Dhawan (FFS)
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Karthik
Pandya
Ashwin
Shami
Umesh
Ishant
Yeah. Going by the history of Kohli taking wonderful decisions during previous test series this might be the team for first test as he will use his extraordinary knowledge and will not select both Rahul and Kuldeep and will cover kuldeeps omission as tactical decision.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have zero interest in watching Dinesh Karthik do anything this series, just play Pant.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Bhuvi as per the sources has aggravated his back injury and will be accessed.
Bumrah too is not sure till 2nd test
Shami is on and off bowler
Umesh Yadav - not promising of late
Ishant- Only bright spot as per present form
Shardul's selection is joke. IMO

I have this feeling that this will be a long tour for Indian team.
Would be lolworthy if Kohli is forced into selecting our best pace attack minus Bhuvi. After the home tes season, Umesh, Shami and Bhuvi should have been first choice. Good to see it happen now.

anaksr

U19 Debutant
Rather than investing in shardul, it would have been wise to look for a left arm fast bowler which we are missing since Zaheer left. Don't we have any promising lefty pacers in domestic circuit. Barinder sran is off the radar. Last I heard abt Rajneesh Gurbani was in Ranji Trophy. Any other bowlers in ur minds!!!!!!?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Mazher Arshad
‏Verified account @MazherArshad

England's discipline on the field in ODIs has been astonishing. They have gone 9880 deliveries without overstepping, 4257 deliveries without a free-hit and Jos Buttler has kept in 15 consecutive ODIs without conceding a bye (an England record). #EngvInd

Goes someway to show why England are doing well. They may not have outstanding bowlers but they tend to be disciplined in the field. Guys like Willey, Plunkett, Woakes are all not just ok bowlers, and #batdeep, they are also very good fielders/athletes. Multidimensional cricketers. One of the reasons Willey (and Billings) have stayed around the squad is their fielding. At the England fitness testing, iirc Willey tends to win the athletic testing- 10 yard sprint, vertical jump etc,