• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
NZTail must be on a motza if he's one of only six of his type in the country. The nervous breakdown part is a bit ominous though...
Arts Education, so not really. It's a shrinking pool in an area that's hard to justify (most places just got rid of the discipline completely).

Blain

U19 Captain
First Domestic Lists up, interesting points first glance, Will Somerville of NSW/Otago to Auckland, Ryder not there, Leopard is though. Ravindra!!!! Thank god. Neesham at Welly too. Ben Sears is back. Finally, maybe some youth promotion at Wellington eh. Murdoch to Canterbury, they obviously needed some experience.

Jesse Ryder has been left off the initial contracted list of New Zealand's major cricket associations.

The former Black Caps batsman wasn't offered a job with Central Districts for the coming summer as the association makes way for several young up-and-comers.

MORE SOON

AT A GLANCE:

AUCKLAND:

Jamie Brown, Craig Cachopa, Mark Chapman, Danru Ferns, Michael Guptill-Bunce, Ben Horne, Ben Lister, Matt McEwan, Robbie O'Donnell, Glenn Phillips, Sean Solia, Will Somerville

NORTHERN DISTRICTS: ​

James Baker, Peter Bocock, Dean Brownlie, Henry Cooper, Anton Devcich, Daniel Flynn, Zak Gibson, Brett Hampton, Nick Kelly, Scott Kuggeleijn, Daryl Mitchell, Bharat Popli, Brett Randell, Tim Seifert, Joe Walker

CENTRAL DISTRICTS:

Doug Bracewell, Tom Bruce, Josh Clarkson, Dane Cleaver, Greg Hay, Christian Leopard, Willem Ludick, Ryan McCone, Ajaz Patel, Seth Rance, Bevan Small, Ben Smith, Blair Tickner, Ben Wheeler, Will Young

WELLINGTON: Hamish Bennett, Tom Blundell, Michael Bracewell, Devon Conway, Lauchie Johns, Iain McPeake, Jimmy Neesham, Ollie Newton, Malcolm Nofal, Jeetan Patel, Rachin Ravindra, Ben Sears, Logan van Beek, Luke Woodcock, Peter Younghusband.

In: Devon Conway, Lauchie Johns, Jimmy Neesham, Rachin Ravindra, Ben Sears Out: Michael Papps (retired), Stephen Murdoch (Canterbury), Fraser Colson, Matt Taylor, Anurag Verma (Northern Districts)

CANTERBURY: Chad Bowes, Blake Coburn, Leo Carter, Andrew Ellis, Cameron Fletcher, Andrew Hazeldine, Kyle Jamieson, Ken McClure, Cole McConchie, Stephen Murdoch, Ed Nuttall, Henry Shipley, Will Williams, Theo van Woerkom

OTAGO:

Matt Bacon, Warren Barnes, Neil Broom, Mark Craig, Jacob Duffy, Josh Finnie, Shawn Hicks, Anaru Kitchen, Michael Rae, Mitch Renwick, Michael Rippon, Hamish Rutherford, Nathan Smith, Brad Wilson

Blain

U19 Captain
Derek De Border gone too, who is going to keep for Otago? Does Renwick keep, might be why they poached him. Surprised Otago/Canterbury haven't gone for some of the U/19 players, throw a contract at guys like Finn Allen and Bhula. Even the captain Boshier (even though he got no runs, must have something though, right?).

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Brent Arnel has retired as well,
I never understand why teams cant give guys like Nicol and Arnel the heads up before the end of the season, so that the guys can have a bit of celebration around there last game, run a few puff pieces in the papers etc.

Blain

U19 Captain
The dude deserves a contract surely. Must be some political stuff going on there. I thought he has been keeping his head down the past few years. Moved up to the Bay too. I hope Canterbury throw him a lifeline, they need each other. Doubt he would consider Otago again.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, the guy averaged 71 last season. That's not someone you pass over no matter how talented your 21 year olds are. It's hard not to see the same old personality and disciplinary issues being the cause of this.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yup, the guy averaged 71 last season. That's not someone you pass over no matter how talented your 21 year olds are. It's hard not to see the same old personality and disciplinary issues being the cause of this.
May not help Jesse that he keeps leaving the team to go do indoor cricket and play in mini overseas tournaments. But amazing decision not to sign him, he performs when he plays, and they let him leave to do those extras. If he is unable to secure a contract elsewhere, there is definitely something more going on.

Still some time with ND might do him some good. Less time with Dougie and more time with Wags and his personal trainer Chris Donaldson, keep him on the straight and narrow and back into a NZ team post Hess or McCullum?

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not giving someone a contract doesn't mean he won't play. I guess they just seem him as too big of a risk to have on that kind of regular money.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Not giving someone a contract doesn't mean he won't play. I guess they just seem him as too big of a risk to have on that kind of regular money.
The match fees plus the contract are the salary. The contract base is significant, probably about half if not more than the total remuneration even if a player plays all games.

Jesse's accumulated wealth means any risk isn't to do with him having money (he has money from global cricket deals previously with IPL, CPL and County), but not performing for the franchise. But his results beg to differ as they have been consistently good (as in one of the best in the country because he is one of best ever cricketers ever).

If it is because he has been leaving to do extra curricular cricket activities, they could have said no to these.

If its something else, which it well could be, it could be that the sad story about a talented cricketer in NZ closes its chapter of playing at a high level in NZ.

Watching Jesse just destroy teams for Wellington, CD and Essex while not in contention for the Black Caps has not been a highlight for me as a fan.

Knowing of his personal troubles, his upbringing and woes has also not been a highlight.

And now this.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
im pretty happy with the CD team named.

jesse can obviously bat but he also faltered in the tv finals and took time off to move house etc. he plays for fun, which is good, but CD might want someone more serious than that.

CD would be pretty annoyed if one of their boys got poached and Jesse called in sick for a few games to move house again or something.

He's valuable, but when you have the batting CD does he's not as valuable to them as he is to other teams, especially since I don't think the "new, improved version 76" jesse ryder has yet passed the Boult/Southee test (the one he failed so badly one year it became a meme on here)

i don't hold anything against him and as a fan i've enjoyed him playing for CD again but i can understand CDs call. hopefully he gets picked up by Otago or Canterbury because neither of those teams can bat.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
So notables on the "not contracted" list?

retired / not fully available
Arnel, Nethula, Papps, Nicol

up and coming
Finn Allen (to be picked up by Canty or Otago?), Felix Murray (perhaps final pick for Wgtn, to learn the trade alongside Jeets?)

experienced campaigners
Grobbelaar, Ryder, Pollard, Tim Johnston, Derek de Boorder

-------------------------------------------------

most interesting picks on the contact list
Sommerville - Black Cap by the end of the season?
Ravindra
Otago not selecting de Boorder - was he not available? Similar age to Wilson / Broom / Kitchen.

edit - NZ Herald says de Boorder has moved to Wellington region.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The match fees plus the contract are the salary. The contract base is significant, probably about half if not more than the total remuneration even if a player plays all games.

Jesse's accumulated wealth means any risk isn't to do with him having money (he has money from global cricket deals previously with IPL, CPL and County), but not performing for the franchise. But his results beg to differ as they have been consistently good (as in one of the best in the country because he is one of best ever cricketers ever).

If it is because he has been leaving to do extra curricular cricket activities, they could have said no to these.

If its something else, which it well could be, it could be that the sad story about a talented cricketer in NZ closes its chapter of playing at a high level in NZ.

Watching Jesse just destroy teams for Wellington, CD and Essex while not in contention for the Black Caps has not been a highlight for me as a fan.

Knowing of his personal troubles, his upbringing and woes has also not been a highlight.

And now this.
You've just repeated my exact point back to me but in a lot more words

vandem

International 12th Man
Ravindra has a contract for Welly, will boy wonder debut this upcoming season?
Yes. Wgtn have contracted 15 so far, so only 1 to add. Papps retired and Murdoch to Canty. Only 6 batsman in the contacted list. So Ravindra should get planty of starts, unlike Finn Allen at Auckland (if picked in the 2nd round) and two of Ludick / Clarkson / Leopard at CD.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ryder has ultimately fallen out with every domestic side he's played for - Essex also decided not to renew his contract a short while ago - so I guess there's something behind the scenes that makes it ultimately not worthwhile for each club.