• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Often hailed as one of the best odi batsmen of his generation and also among top 10 odi batsmen of his era(which is hillarious), the most funny part is that here hasnt been an odi batsmen which has the most misleading stats you could ever ask for.

A test batting average of 51 at a Strike Rate of 90 is a gold for any opening batsmen. However, these stats only shows how misleading his numbers are.

Against non-minnows, Amla's average drops from a whooping 51 to only a more than decent 44 at a SR of 85. Moreover, here are his stats against two best teams of his era- Australia and India.

Australia- 33
India- 38

Yet these stats dont explain how misleading his odi legacy is as compared to his figures in limited overs. Till now , he has failed in every single ICC tournament and only recently manged to score his first hundred against a non-associate team(SL) in a low-pressure game. There hasn't been a bigger bottler and minnow basher like Amla in odis.

As far as openers is concerned, I would look beyond statistics and won't even rate him among top5 openers of all-time.

Tendulkar
Greendige
Jayasuriya
Gilchrist
Anwar

The time has come for everyone to accept that Amla is not in the same leagues as Kohli and de Villiers in limited overs formats and is nowhere near the top 10 odi batsmen of all-time.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I more or less agree with him tbh. He makes good points.

Amla's a good ODI player, but nowhere near as good as his stats suggest, or as some people rate him.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I more or less agree with him tbh. He makes good points.

Amla's a good ODI player, but nowhere near as good as his stats suggest, or as some people rate him.
But even if that's the case, are his stats really "the most misleading ever"?

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is no ODI batsmen with as misleading stats as one could look for.

1)No great run-chase under pressure
2) Not a single quality inning in ICC tournaments against a top opponent
3) Exclude minnows and that avg slips down from 51 to 44.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sobers has an ODI batting average of 0 at the strike rate of 0 fwiw.

Tad bit more misleading than Amla having the same average and SR as Tendulkar does after excluding minnows.

Himannv

International Coach
Averaging 44 in ODIs is pretty good although I agree he's not as good as some people seem to think he is.

I always find the minnow bashing argument strange. It's almost as if people would rate him higher if his average wasn't higher against lower quality opposition. I mean, what is the man supposed to do when he plays them? Fail miserably?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Averaging 44 in ODIs is pretty good although I agree he's not as good as some people seem to think he is.

I always find the minnow bashing argument strange. It's almost as if people would rate him higher if his average wasn't higher against lower quality opposition. I mean, what is the man supposed to do when he plays them? Fail miserably?
The perfect batsman will average 0 against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Bijed

International Regular

Yeah, I feel that people sometimes can focus too much on the gap between minnow & non-minnow performances, even when the latter is still perfectly good and, whilst I appreciate that this is just semantics also tend to frame it as 'they average x amount less against quality opposition' which is reasonable enough if their record against non-minnows isn't actually very good, if it is still good (as it is with Amla's), then it can feel a bit like trying to portray them unnecessarily negatively.

That said, I don't actually disagree with the OP's general point in that Amla's ODI stats probably do flatter him a bit more than is normal for ODI stats (although it also seems a little unfair to say that 'Against non-minnows, Amla's average drops from a whooping 51 to only a more than decent 44 at a SR of 85' when someone with that as a career record would in all probability have padded their stats against weaker opposition to an extent too).

On the subject, however, I'm never 100% on board with just splitting out and pretty well discounting stats against minnows (which itself hardly capture the different levels of quality possessed by all teams, whether they fall under the 'minnow' tag or not) - don't disagree with such stats counting for less, but don't just ignore them - it always takes a good degree of skill and ability to make big runs quickly.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
For a fair comparison, can we take away stats for minnows for ALL 'ATG batsmen' then and see the difference?

On that note, however, I do agree that Amla isn't as good an ODI player as is often made out on here. Top test player though.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Incidentally, "minnows" in this case seems to include West Indies (as well as Bangladesh and Zimbabwe).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nah nobody takes averages and strike rates at face value - if they did they'd come to the conclusion that Amla > Tendulkar

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Just letting everyone and his fans(in particular) know the truth.
It is a whinge. I guess the member is Indian and would not like to hear about Kohlis tournament failures or Tendulkars consistent failures in crunch matches.

FACT is, Amla is one of the greats. Is he a greater ODI bat then Viv, Ponting, Tendulkar, AB and Gilly? No cors not, but then again, who is.