• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Woodster

International Captain
Let's face it, this is not about Rahane vs Rohit. India lost both innings with the top 3 failing to score anything. Vijay, Dhawan and Pujara were terrible. When you're going in with 5 batsmen, the role of the top 3 is to make it easier for the stroke makers later down the order but Virat and Rohit were exposed way too early (not that this lets them off the hook).

I'm most disappointed with Vijay and Pujara. Dhawan sucks...but he should have gone harder at the ball given that's his game. That said, pulling against Steyn or Morkel on these pitches in the first 10 overs is a recipe for disaster. Vijay was supposed to be a brilliant leaver of the ball and fared really poorly.

Pujara for all his stockability needs some scoring shots besides a flick off his pads in these conditions. Some of the balls in the first innings were half volleys that he just defended from the crease. To his credit, Virat looked good in the second innings. All in all, the last couple of tours overseas for India has been all about missed opportunities. They nearly won in New Zealand but let go. Had a 1st innings lead vs SA in both tests in their last tour and still lost one of them and drew the other.

For long India didn't have the bowling resources to win overseas. Now they do....the batsmen need to stand up. For all their stats, these lot don't touch Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly and VVS Laxman.
I think that's harsh criticism of Pujara, barring Pandya's counter-attack in the first innings, when SA were getting on top Pujara was pretty resolute in his defence in the morning session of day two to bat through the morning session, and while it wasn't doing anywhere near as much as on day one it took discipline and a decent technique to repel Steyn and co.

What will have annoyed him was giving it away straight after lunch after all his hard work, and admittedly that was loose. His ball in the second dig was a very good one and I don't lay much blame at his door for that one.

I also don't buy into the fact he hasn't got enough scoring shots in these conditions, if he'd have gone for a flourishing drive on that morning of the second day he would have been lambasted had he nicked off. Imo he batted accordingly, he's not an attacking batsman by nature but he has still accumulated nearly 4,500 Test runs, he has his areas and waits for the scoring opportunities. Not everyone is a Kohli.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid was a sitting duck in South Africa and Australia (Aside from that one 2003/4 series with Brad Williams and Nathan Bracken and no Mcgrath and Warne).
He sucked against SA in general but he had a couple of great match winning knocks in Australia. You'd take that over a better average any day.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think five bowlers at Centurion is likely. Probably Morris. I'd like Keshav to be around in Pretoria. But I think Bavuma comes in for him in Joburg. Who was the last spinner to really make an impact at the Wanderers?
Just having a look.

Jan 2017 vs Sri Lanka
Herath 0-67
SA Played no spinner

Jan 2016 vs England
Ali 1-50
SA played no spinner

Dec 2013 vs India
Tahir 0-47 & 2-69
Ashwin 0-25 & 0-83

Feb 2013 vs Pakistan
Ajmal 0-68 & 1-74
Robbie P didn't bowl 1st innings & 0-24

Nov 2011 v Australia
Lyon 2-52 & 2-57
Tahor 3-55 & 1-63

Jan 2010 vs England
SA played no spinner
Swann 2-93

Gob

International Coach
Southafrica could do with another batsman here. What Barry Richards has been up to of late?

Stefan9

International Debutant
How has the weather been up there ? There were some storms over Christmas. Looks like a thunder storm/shower from Tuesday afternoon.

Just generally if this is what we saw at Newlands then Kesh is in trouble of playing on the highveld - particularly the Wanderers. It could swing all day there.
Normal summer weather for this time of year. Extremely hot during the day and a late thunder storm around 17:00/18:00.

OverratedSanity

I'm pretty concerned about the batting tbh. No one really looked comfortable at all. Difficult pitch and great bowling attack, yes, but if the most impressive top order knick is a 20 odd, there's something seriously wrong. Wish we'd made the right selections but Vijay and Kohli were very disappointing. I don't mind them getting out to good balks but several of them were poor dismissals.

Gob

International Coach
He sucked against SA in general but he had a couple of great match winning knocks in Australia. You'd take that over a better average any day.
He was poo in 99/00 great in 03/04 ok in 07/08 got bowled in 11/12

Definitely not what i would call a sitting duck though

OverratedSanity

This match also showed why I've never believed the 5 bowler strategy will work anywhere near as well as people think. The tail is too long and Ashwin barely bowled. It was a wasted batting spot.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin scored more than Rohit and Kohli in both innings

Dale Steyn's highest score in the match 16
Nohit's highest score in the match 12

Dale Steyn unbeaten in both innings too

SeamUp

International Coach
I think five bowlers at Centurion is likely. Probably Morris. I'd like Keshav to be around in Pretoria. But I think Bavuma comes in for him in Joburg. Who was the last spinner to really make an impact at the Wanderers?
Stupid me thinking Wanderers was next. One change for Centurion for me too then.

Gob

International Coach
I'm pretty concerned about the batting tbh. No one really looked comfortable at all. Difficult pitch and great bowling attack, yes, but if the most impressive top order knick is a 20 odd, there's something seriously wrong. Wish we'd made the right selections but Vijay and Kohli were very disappointing. I don't mind them getting out to good balks but several of them were poor dismissals.
As i said before the game Rohit is a spud.

Dunno what Ajinkays form is but he should still be better than Rohit unless the ball is white and the oppo is Sri Lanka. Think India should stick with six bats

vcs

Ultimately, whatever we do, we'll need some luck with conditions (like we got in this game, Steyn got injured), SA to play below their best (which happened, their batting didn't click today) and us to perform at absolutely optimum levels (unfortunately our batsmen let us down as well) to win a game.

That's what happens when you come into a series on a wing and a prayer with inadequate preparation.

Prepare for the conditions properly and the same players are much less likely to let the initiative slip away, like we did in this match on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Pujara looked the most assured in the first innings and got a gem in the second. To say he failed because he lacks #intent is bizarre. This is a Test Match. Run rate doesn't matter. If his limpet like batting makes the other batsmen anxious that's on them, not him. Plus he does possess shots all over the wicket - have we forgotten literally all his other big innings? The man just absorbs absorbs and absorbs pressure until the bowling fades before attacking them. In other words, he bats like a proper Test batsman.

He face the most difficult phase of the first innings and the 92 balls he ate up arguably set the platform for what followed from Pandya. And yes he played a loose shot and should have kicked on from that start, but do we really focus on that while handwaving the brainfades from Dhawan Kohli and Nohit because 'they're not good enough for these conditions'

The batting unit as a whole failed but Pujara emerges with the most credit IMO. Pandya and Pujara. And Kohli for showing some spark in the second innings. Nothing else from anyone.
Plus the other thing about the counter attacking strategy is that it's not suitable for everyone. In the 1st innings, AB played a counter attacking knock but does anyone remember Faf? He was occupying the crease and letting balls go. It's great to say 'oh look that's what AB did, everyone should do it' but ultimately people need to play to their strengths. Pujara does not have a counter attacking game just like Kohli does not have the waiting/leaving game. Kohli is not the guy who will wear out bowlers and Pujara is not the guy who will attack them with the new ball at 30/2.

What they failed to do was play the game AB/Faf did which complemented each other. AB attacked and that released the pressure on Faf and allowed him to settle in. Kohli has the attacking game, but he's not quite there at AB's level where he can do it in these conditions with the ball moving around.

OverratedSanity

I don't think the argument is that Pujara should attack.

I agree that him eating up deliveries up front is very useful and helps spuds like kohli and Rohit and the lower order in an indirect way. However he doesn't have the full range of shots when the ball bounces off a length above his wrists. What he's doing is still useful and a net positive. It'd just not as useful as it could be if he could cash in after seeing off the tough phases and score more runs.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Wish I hadn't been working. Looks like I missed quite a day!

I don't think he should, but I have a feeling Phehlukwayo will play next game... Or else we need to overcompensate "quota-wise" in the T20I's / ODI's...

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Absolutely toothless from India. A much vaunted batting line up falls apart yet again when things aren't going their way. The bowlers bowled their hearts out and set up a great winning position. If you have to lose, at least show some fight, some guts, some mettle. Plus, Ashwin might as well be dropped if he is going to bowl so few overs.

Top Cat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Regarding Pujara, his role is to score runs and not just be a nightwatchman. Aakash Chopra springs to mind.