• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Stefan9

International Debutant
If i were a Rsa selector, I'd opt for an extra batsman next test , or preferably a bowling AR if one is available. Batting won't be easy vs this indian attack.
Choice is between bavuma and morris/phelukwayo.
Personally I would opt for temba if they get the pitch they want. Think morris will play thought, Ottis seems to really rate him

Top Cat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Let's face it, this is not about Rahane vs Rohit. India lost both innings with the top 3 failing to score anything. Vijay, Dhawan and Pujara were terrible. When you're going in with 5 batsmen, the role of the top 3 is to make it easier for the stroke makers later down the order but Virat and Rohit were exposed way too early (not that this lets them off the hook).

I'm most disappointed with Vijay and Pujara. Dhawan sucks...but he should have gone harder at the ball given that's his game. That said, pulling against Steyn or Morkel on these pitches in the first 10 overs is a recipe for disaster. Vijay was supposed to be a brilliant leaver of the ball and fared really poorly.

Pujara for all his stockability needs some scoring shots besides a flick off his pads in these conditions. Some of the balls in the first innings were half volleys that he just defended from the crease. To his credit, Virat looked good in the second innings. All in all, the last couple of tours overseas for India has been all about missed opportunities. They nearly won in New Zealand but let go. Had a 1st innings lead vs SA in both tests in their last tour and still lost one of them and drew the other.

For long India didn't have the bowling resources to win overseas. Now they do....the batsmen need to stand up. For all their stats, these lot don't touch Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly and VVS Laxman.

ajdude

International Coach
i'm so anxious every time shaun pollock talks in this interview because i know i'm about to hear a big "YAA" from vern

Chrish

International Debutant
Ganguly and Sehwag were terrible away from home. VVS too barring Australia. Only SRT and Dravid to certain extent could score in alien conditions.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So what are your changes for the second test? Morris or Bavuma for Steyn? KL Rahul for Dhawan? Rahane for Rohit?
I would go Bavuma, but Gibson does want an allrounder. So Morris a very real possibility. Also possible they drop Maharaj at the Wanderers.

SeamUp

International Coach
So what are your changes for the second test? Morris or Bavuma for Steyn? KL Rahul for Dhawan? Rahane for Rohit?
Definitely that for SA. They could go either way but favouring Bavuma and if for both then Morris in for Kesh.

KL Rahul definitely in and whilst Shikhar gets deserved criticism is it unjust of me to think Vijay could be the one to go ?

Rahane over Rohit in your sleep.

Ishant/Umesh for Bumrah

I also wonder if Saha is capable of helping out with runs.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice to know that the second test starts soon. I ve grown a little more confident about the Indian team after this performance. Ashwin, Pandya and to a certain extent, Bhuvi finding runs is good.

On Rohit vs Rahane, think it wouldn't have mattered so much as an earlier poster put it. Our top 3 need to do more. Once Kohli finds his strides, India could be a transformed team.

Niall

International Coach
I would go Bavuma, but Gibson does want an allrounder. So Morris a very real possibility. Also possible they drop Maharaj at the Wanderers.
I know the quota system is not every game, but Morris and I assume Oliver in with Maharaj out might raise a few eye brows?

I'd bring in Bavuma as his batting merits it for Steyn.

India anyone for Rohit.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I know the quota system is not every game, but Morris and I assume Oliver in with Maharaj out might raise a few eye brows?

I'd bring in Bavuma as his batting merits it for Steyn.

India anyone for Rohit.
No it would more likely be Morris and Bavuma in with Maharaj out... else hopefully Bavuma in for Steyn.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bavuma for me but morris will play.
How has the weather been up there ? There were some storms over Christmas. Looks like a thunder storm/shower from Tuesday afternoon.

Just generally if this is what we saw at Newlands then Kesh is in trouble of playing on the highveld - particularly the Wanderers. It could swing all day there.

Bahseph

State Captain
I think five bowlers at Centurion is likely. Probably Morris. I'd like Keshav to be around in Pretoria. But I think Bavuma comes in for him in Joburg. Who was the last spinner to really make an impact at the Wanderers?

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Ganguly and Sehwag were terrible away from home. VVS too barring Australia. Only SRT and Dravid to certain extent could score in alien conditions.
Dravid was a sitting duck in South Africa and Australia (Aside from that one 2003/4 series with Brad Williams and Nathan Bracken and no Mcgrath and Warne).

cnerd123

likes this
Pujara looked the most assured in the first innings and got a gem in the second. To say he failed because he lacks #intent is bizarre. This is a Test Match. Run rate doesn't matter. If his limpet like batting makes the other batsmen anxious that's on them, not him. Plus he does possess shots all over the wicket - have we forgotten literally all his other big innings? The man just absorbs absorbs and absorbs pressure until the bowling fades before attacking them. In other words, he bats like a proper Test batsman.

He face the most difficult phase of the first innings and the 92 balls he ate up arguably set the platform for what followed from Pandya. And yes he played a loose shot and should have kicked on from that start, but do we really focus on that while handwaving the brainfades from Dhawan Kohli and Nohit because 'they're not good enough for these conditions'

The batting unit as a whole failed but Pujara emerges with the most credit IMO. Pandya and Pujara. And Kohli for showing some spark in the second innings. Nothing else from anyone.