• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Spark

Global Moderator
not exactly, but with his style and injury record (at least up until this winter) i don't see any reason why he can't be a 27-30 averaging seamer in english conditions for then next 2-3 years.
Hmm, 27-30 is a big drop-off from what you're getting from Anderson and Broad. Plus, there's a difference between the luxury 3rd/4th seamer and basically having to be the attack leader.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never expected this to be all done and dusted in 3 tests. And that ball to Anderson was a brute...it looked bad, and I'm glad he was ok. But once it was clear he was, then:

*s******* *chortle*
Heh, interesting censorship there.

I've always wondered whether using that word is considered racist/offensive. People don't seem to use it much these days, it's mostly an artefact of older books etc.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Hmm, 27-30 is a big drop-off from what you're getting from Anderson and Broad. Plus, there's a difference between the luxury 3rd/4th seamer and basically having to be the attack leader.
heh i'm under no illusions about how grim things will get without those two. just bigging up ma home boi.

Woodster

International Captain
Pretty much agree with all that. At the moment there isn't a side which does particularly well outside their home conditions. The worrying thing for me isn't the players we select it is that there aren't a lot of alternatives who have more than odd good seasons in first class cricket. I think this group of limited cricketers have performed better than more highly rated players in 2013/14. I think England have got to be careful not to over react to this defeat. Yes we need to find better players, but there is every chance that we will go for large scale changes and end up losing home as well as away tests. More important is to look below the test team and see how we can develop better spinners, opening batsmen and genuine fast bowlers. Bottom line I'd rather win home series than away, if the ideal choice of standing a chance in both isn't available.
We don't have a lot of options that would've done any better (not that you'd expect anyway) on this tour of Oz and that isn't something that can be fixed even with a complete overhaul to this side which, I agree with you, I hope we don't see. For us to find the players to be able to go to Australia, for example, and win, it is going to take a while and we need to put things in place in county cricket, at the academy and down into the age groups. This isn't an overreaction to the outcome of this series, but it has just magnified the areas we need to improve in order to succeed abroad.

Woodster

International Captain
You need bowlers full stop tbh. I think there's a bit of delusion going around about how non-Anderson-and-Broad bowlers are destined to carry on carving up teams at home, when there's little evidence the backup/younger quicks are of that quality.

Although I've been banging on about this for years, tbh.
Our bowlers have no right to think they can just turn up at home and bowl teams out cheaply, and I don't think that is the case. We do have more options for bowlers in our own conditions, inevitably really, not suggesting we have loads, but there are some decent bowlers that may get further chances to impress in the next 12 months.

Chris Woakes has shown how useful he can be at home, TRJ was a useful addition last summer, COverton has enhanced his reputation and will be more effective at home, Jamie Porter should also be on the cusp of a call-up soon and an introduction to Test cricket if he starts this season in the same manner as he's performed in the last couple of years.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh, interesting censorship there.

I've always wondered whether using that word is considered racist/offensive. People don't seem to use it much these days, it's mostly an artefact of older books etc.
Yeah, the censorship seems a bit random on here. You can say 'dick' though and all's fine.

Gnske

You need bowlers full stop tbh. I think there's a bit of delusion going around about how non-Anderson-and-Broad bowlers are destined to carry on carving up teams at home, when there's little evidence the backup/younger quicks are of that quality.

Although I've been banging on about this for years, tbh.
Rushworth is clearly the answer. Look at how South Africa did once they started having a fat slob of a bowler in the team. They got to number one.

the big bambino

International Captain
England probably have enough bowling options in the short term if they can keep one of Anderson or Broad going. Assuming that guy is Anderson England can place an attack of Anderson Roland-Jones Stokes and one of Overton Wood or Finn at home and in that order atm. Ali to bowl spin. OS I'd bring in Wood for TRJ and look to play Crane with Ali on suitable pitches. Anderson being their key man for a little while yet.

Woodster

International Captain
England probably have enough bowling options in the short term if they can keep one of Anderson or Broad going. Assuming that guy is Anderson England can place an attack of Anderson Roland-Jones Stokes and one of Overton Wood or Finn at home and in that order atm. Ali to bowl spin. OS I'd bring in Wood for TRJ and look to play Crane with Ali on suitable pitches. Anderson being their key man for a little while yet.
Mason Crane has a lot of potential, we need to find a way for him to play more four-day cricket. Unfortunately the way the season is set out again, it's unlikely he'll play much in the opening five rounds of the CC taking place in April and May, so just hope he earns a spot for the rest of the fixtures in June/Aug and Sept.

Gnske

I wouldn't play Crane in any test match for two years at least.
Play him in the Sydney test match and you'll enhance his career. And in a few years time people will be discussing him as a no.3

I'd like to see how the Australians deal with him after how gentle they were towards Yasir last summer.

Spark

Global Moderator
kek people still picking wood
Yeah when I made that post about "delusion" before, Mark Wood is mostly who I had in mind. You'd think he was a 150km/h swing-it-both-ways tearaway who averages about 20 in Tests the way the English press have been going on about him.

Starfighter

Well KP talked up Chris Woakes' pace at Brisbane. I think it shows just how low a standard England have when it comes to pace.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean I'm just not convinced that raw pace is the answer here? Especially given that two of the pitches we've played on have been on the slower side. The lack of pressure from the backup bowlers has been the problem (even Overton, while he's bowled well, has struggled to keep the batsman tied down). Okay, certainly the fact that all the Aus bowlers (even Haze!) get it above 145km/h on a reasonably consistent basis helps them a lot and opens up some tactics that England can't really exploit, but an accurate 135km/h bowler who acutally is accurate would be better than a guy who bowls 145km/h, tries to "hit the deck hard", and ends up feeding a diet of half-trackers to the likes of Warner, Khawaja and Smith. That'll sure worry them.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
He is nonetheless one of the best pace bowlers in England and is always considered for selection when fit. He is slippery and can hit the mid 140s. Mostly he stands out as a counterpoint to the English fast medium template and could be useful if Melbourne plays at 2 heights.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
He is nonetheless one of the best pace bowlers in England and is always considered for selection when fit. He is slippery and can hit the mid 140s. Mostly he stands out as a counterpoint to the English fast medium template and could be useful if Melbourne plays at 2 heights.
his pace is becoming a total myth. bloke hasn't hit mid 140s for well over 12 months.