• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I was going say I feel like we need to adjust the Rohrer test to remove his last two seasons which tanked his average, but then he's still finished with an average of 36
I was tempted to do the same, but then felt it more prudent to temper expectations somewhat to reflect the state of domestic cricket these days.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If we want to re-calibrate at 40 it's either the Bailey Test or the North Test imo. If we're more strict, Cowan Test.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
We'd struggle to field a team under the Cowan Test.

Quiney Test a shout

edit: damn, his dropped too.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel like the Cowan test would be a narrower test that should apply to someone who was floating around the Rohrer test and then has a red hot run

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Regarding selection, is there a cut off point with 1st class averages where players should be discounted for selection?

I find it odd that MMarsh and Head are even discussed while averaging 29.63 and 33.96 respectively. Numbers don't tell you everything, but I think they should tell you that they are sucking pretty hard with the red ball, no matter how much they turn heads with the white.

It seems to be the same thinking that has Maddinson crushing it in the ODD comp and getting picked ahead of Cowan while averaging 32.90 in shield cricket.
I think a cut-off on recent performances is a good idea but not for career first class average.

Obviously Marsh and Head want their averages to improve (head is currently 100 no) but I think when you look at their age, performances for Aussie ODI team, ability to bowl, good fielding and captaincy they can be picked after a shorter period of success, particularly mid series over say Weatherald who was initally suggested.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
Fair enough, I'll agree with some of that... as long a "recent performances" means more than 3 shield rounds :D

I think Marsh and Head could both succeed in tests, but I will continue to dismiss them until they can dominate a full shield season (or multiple A tours), which in turn would raise their records above pathetic.

Spikey

I feel like the Cowan test would be a narrower test that should apply to someone who was floating around the Rohrer test and then has a red hot run
although I guess it takes a red hot run to move someone from the Rohrer test area to this suggested Cowan test area, so maybe it should be called the Rohrer-Cowan test

burr

State Vice-Captain
Ouch. What is going on with Cartwright? I haven't seen any of his dismissals but it appears something horrible is happening.

adub

International Captain
Now now, none of those other test rhyme with Rorschach test which is half the reason I proposed the Rohrer test originally.

The last two seasons of Ben really do undermine the quality of the test though (and would allow Smarsh to be a legitimate selection back in 2011 which was the other reason for the Rohrer test), but perhaps also better reflects the total gashedness of Shield batting these days.

morgieb

No SOK? Moey apparently gone too.

At least our batting order is balanced correctly though rather than having Ed Cowan at 9 and Maddinson opening.

adub

International Captain
No SOK? Moey apparently gone too.

At least our batting order is balanced correctly though rather than having Ed Cowan at 9 and Maddinson opening.
tis interesting innit. Moz must be an injury, and you'd expect same with SOK, but maybe they looked at the pitch, struggled to distinguish it from the rest of the square and decided spin was surplus to requirements.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tis interesting innit. Moz must be an injury, and you'd expect same with SOK, but maybe they looked at the pitch, struggled to distinguish it from the rest of the square and decided spin was surplus to requirements.
I get the feeling that if O'Keefe wasn't injured they'd have just replaced Henriques with Conway rather than also bringing in Gibson, even if it was green. They do love an excuse to pick an extra bowler, and Gibson wasn't even in the squad initially.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The fifth best bowler in this NSW lineup is Maddinson. That's actually so awesome in its own way. Did we change the selection panel in the offseason or something?

adub

International Captain
I get the feeling that if O'Keefe wasn't injured they'd have just replaced Henriques with Conway rather than also bringing in Gibson, even if it was green. They do love an excuse to pick an extra bowler, and Gibson wasn't even in the squad initially.
SOK's on the field and it looks like Conway is in for Moz and Gibson is twelfth man. So relax, normal NSW selection transmission has been restored.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh it was a cricinfo error. It all makes sense.

To be fair even I would've thought about five bowlers in this situation.

adub

International Captain
Tassie making Nev's decision look worse than Root's so far.

Hughes at first slip making it even worse.