• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Be interesting to see how he bowls in Aus.
He'll average >50 with the ball and <20 with the bat. It's a finger spinner's graveyard, and he doesn't like the short stuff. It's not a promising recipe.

Be happy if he proves me wrong as he's one of the most likeable players in world cricket ATM.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Team of the series (bat/bowl)

1. Dean Elgar (36)
2. Alastair Cook (33)
3. Hashim Amla (41)
4. Joe Root* (57)
5. Ben Stokes (37/43)
6. Johnny Bairstow + (41)
7. Moeen Ali (36/15)
8. Vernon Philander (44/23)
9. Toby Roland-Jones (21/22)
10. Morne Morkel (15/26)
11. James Anderson (6/14)

Could also pick Maharaj (13/30) given he took a lot more wickets than Philander or TRJ

And no, there were no other batsmen to average more than low 30s
I'd almost be tempted to ditch Elgar and have Root alongside Cook as a makeshift opener making room for Bavuma. Definitely not a great series for opening batsmen.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Pollock's are atrocious. Deluding himself.
Giving a passing grade to someone who was dropped after one Test, was sent home and whose Test career could be done is something else.

It's amazing how often these 'Marks Out Of 10' player series ratings are done so badly.

DriveClub

International Regular
Looking at how duminys replacements fared I feel all the quota accusations on Duminy were a bit unfair, quotas may have played a part in his selection but de bruyn etc didn't fare any better. Duminy did have a fairly decent stint at no 4.

_Ed_

Factual inaccuracies are pretty poor too, considering how easy it is to look through people's scores during the series. Such laziness.

DriveClub

International Regular
Factual inaccuracies are pretty poor too, considering how easy it is to look through people's scores during the series. Such laziness.
Cricinfos new layout may have contributed to that, it's not that easy to navigate now so Pollock gets a pass on that

vcs

Bavuma needs to start converting more starts, and fast. Averaging 30-odd and grinding out the occasional half-century when SA are 4 down for FA won't save him for long.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He'll average >50 with the ball and <20 with the bat. It's a finger spinner's graveyard, and he doesn't like the short stuff. It's not a promising recipe.

Be happy if he proves me wrong as he's one of the most likeable players in world cricket ATM.
You could well be right about him ave over 50 with the ball but I wouldn't discount him scoring some decent runs.......his dislike for the short stuff is overplayed imo.

I havent got high expectations for this Ashes tour but I am really looking forward to seeing how the Stokes, Bairstow and Ali trio go with the bat.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
You could well be right about him ave over 50 with the ball but I wouldn't discount him scoring some decent runs.......his dislike for the short stuff is overplayed imo.

I havent got high expectations for this Ashes tour but I am really looking forward to seeing how the Stokes, Bairstow and Ali trio go with the bat.
I'm not sure Ali dislikes the short ball. He is one of the worst hookers of the ball I've seen in international cricket. He'll always get some early in a series to see if they can get him hooking. S.A. put the bouncer to bed against him after the second test as he didn't play a hook shot until yesterday. When he ducks and sways he plays the short ball pretty well.