• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Stefan9

International Debutant
Just needs a bit more consistency. But seems to have the g smith trait of making it really count when he gets in.

SeamUp

International Coach
Neil Mac said in pre-day's play with Rigger that the big guy (aka Morras, Giraffe) has 4 to 5 years left in him.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Does he keep his spot when the atg is back from injury thought.
He was pretty damn good v New Zealand and started the Perth test match well. Certainly will be interesting when and if that selection has to happen.

SeamUp

International Coach
This may sound odd but is it just me that thinks that coastal cricket (Cape Town, PE, Durban) is at a low of producing talent. Right now it is mainly the highveld/Bloem producing players. They may have more shot-making talent but when it comes to batsman they seem to lack the concept that batting on the coast is more of a graft.

Was watching young Markram and I am not singling him out but he was trying to play shots on the up today that you can play in the highveld but just not at coastal venues. There is generally more spin on coastal wickets as well.

Interesting topic for debate.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He was pretty damn good v New Zealand and started the Perth test match well. Certainly will be interesting when and if that selection has to happen.
Philander's pace is a bit of a worry. Was quick enough in the Aus series, low 130s but he was slow in the Sri Lanka series and the majority of the deliveries I've seen so far in this series have been closer to 125kph. Was setting up Raval nicely in the 2nd test but Raval always had enough time to save himself from the LBW, and I'm sure he would have got Broom nicking off if he was doing things that little bit quicker.

SeamUp

International Coach
Philander's pace is a bit of a worry. Was quick enough in the Aus series, low 130s but he was slow in the Sri Lanka series and the majority of the deliveries I've seen so far in this series have been closer to 125kph. Was setting up Raval nicely in the 2nd test but Raval always had enough time to save himself from the LBW, and I'm sure he would have got Broom nicking off if he was doing things that little bit quicker.
Very good point. He has had an injury but I can't remember what it was. But after the Australia tpur he only played 1 or 2 50-over games for the Cobras and nothing in the 4-day game. That is minimal cricket in the space time between Australia and New Zealand.

SeamUp

International Coach
It seems like he wants to focus on the England series. It certainly is interesting because is this a decision made by himself or has he been made aware that he needs to step up as a senior player ?

Heboric

International Debutant
Interesting decision... he has played for 7 seasons so he probably doing alright on money front.... he mentions personal reasons. Maybe burnt out, he has been under the microscope recently? Maybe a chance to work on his technique for England tour?
It seems like he wants to focus on the England series. It certainly is interesting because is this a decision made by himself or has he been made aware that he needs to step up as a senior player ?
I guess, but there is no more first class games in SA isnt it. Unless its just rest or maybe he can wangle himself into a county side

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think its probably a combination he knows he is under pressure and somebody has also probably taken him aside by now and said something.... or he may just need time for himself away from the game.

SeamUp

International Coach
So basically out of our contracted players : Duminy, Bavuma, Behardien, Maharaj, Steyn, Morkel, Parnell, Phehlukwayo have no cricket planned until England. Hopefully time to get County deals for some. Certain others not in Champs Trophy squad like Bavuma & Maharaj may play in 'A' series.

The 'A' squad should be easy.

Heino Kuhn
Aiden Markram
Theunis de Bruyn
Reeza Hendricks
Khaya Zondo
Vaughn van Jaarsveld
JJ Smuts

Heinrich Klaasen (wk)
Rudi Second (wk)
Mangaliso Mosehle (wk)

Dane Piedt

Duanne Olivier
Dwaine Pretorius
Lungi Ngidi
Dane Paterson
Beuran Hendricks

It is an alright squad. Will need to add a limited overs spinner (Leie, von Berg, Fortuin as Phangiso is washed up). Probably have to take Second as probably amongst our best 4-day batsman so a few keepers to go. Mosehle as limited overs keeper. Paterson and B.Hendricks for now until some of the younger quicks are fit and ready.

SeamUp

International Coach
This was Nicky Boje on Second missing out to Klaasen

‘Second unlucky to miss out on NZ tour’
by Fanie Heyns 09 March 2017, 14:15

‘Forgotten man, discarded and falling into oblivion’ are some of the words or phrases that every South African cricketer dreads.

And judging by the way Rudi Second has performed in propelling the VKB Knights to the Sunfoil Series crown this season, as well as his aggression in the Momentum One-Day Cup campaign, it would seem that all those words apply.

But Nicky Bojé, a former South African spinner and Second’s coach at the VKB Knights, says the wicketkeeper-batsman is still in the selectors’ thoughts.

“He was definitely in the running (as second wicketkeeper of the South African test team). In my book, it was a close call. In fact, I think he can be disappointed he was not selected,” the coach said.

Apart from his average of 52.61 in the Sunfoil Series, Second was comfortably the most successful wicketkeeper statistically, finishing with 47 wickets, 10 more than Heinrich Klaasen.

Bojé says in the Momentum One Day Cup campaign, Second hammered a 75 and averages 39.20, but the lack of more consistency with the blade by the top-seven has been one of the problem areas for the VKB Knights.

“If we want to come close to winning the series, we must be much more consistent. In the Sunfoil Series, you need eight to nine players to confirm consistently, which we managed. In the CSA T20 Challenge, you require three players to produce the goods.”

“In the Momentum One-Day Cup series, four to six players must perform excellently,” he said.

Second averages 46.86 in domestic one-day cricket.

Bojé says Second is a no-thrills player. He works meticulously at his arts of batting and wicket-keeping.

“He loves batting and he enjoys spending an extended time at the crease. And that is why he has performed so well. That was a reason why Jacques Kallis was so excellent. He simply adored batting for long periods.”

“Second also grafts very hard to improve his ability with the gloves,” he mentioned.

“I would say he can represent South Africa A right now, even if it is purely as a batsman. He is that good. I would think he should be playing for South Africa A against England A in the South African off-season,” he added.

Second is more philosophical and sanguine about the reasons for being out of the international limelight.

He alluded to the fact that he might have botched his chances to knock on the national door by not grabbing his opportunities in the South African A team against the England Lions in 2014/2015.

“I did not score enough runs. I managed 27 and an unbeaten 27. I also did not have the best outings with the gloves in that series,” he added.

Since then, he has improved markedly and if being given the opportunities, he would definitely utilize them.

His great challenge is to perform with distinction in the next five Momentum One-Day Cup clashes to make the selectors aware of his form with the bat and the gloves, he said.

SeamUp

International Coach
Daryll Cullinan being his usual self.

Says JP needs to f**k off and Quinnie needs to move up to 4.

And why is Morkel opening the bowling and not KG who is already a more complete bowler than Morne.

:laugh: Holds nothing back.

Heboric

International Debutant
Daryll Cullinan being his usual self.

Says JP needs to f**k off and Quinnie needs to move up to 4.

And why is Morkel opening the bowling and not KG who is already a more complete bowler than Morne.

:laugh: Holds nothing back.
Sigh Cullinan

I am not a big fan, I remember when he played for Province and his way of fielding is sticking out a hand and hoping for the best. Let many a boundary through with that technique

Marius

International Debutant
Sigh Cullinan

I am not a big fan, I remember when he played for Province and his way of fielding is sticking out a hand and hoping for the best. Let many a boundary through with that technique
I've always had a soft spot for him - he was our best batsman in the 1990s, and he also had some fight. If he hadn't played in the same era as Warne he would be remembered as one of our best players.

But he does like to shoot his mouth off, and I believe he got into some financial difficulties a few years ago.

I bumped into him in Exclusive Books in Sandton a few years ago and I told him he was one of my favourite players growing up, and he was very friendly and gracious.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I've always had a soft spot for him - he was our best batsman in the 1990s, and he also had some fight. If he hadn't played in the same era as Warne he would be remembered as one of our best players.
Yeah, his record against Australia doesn't make pretty reading. He averaged 12.75 against them and 4.42 in Australia. Although he was just as bad against Zimbabwe - averaging 12.66 against them and 5.50 in Zim. :D

SeamUp

International Coach
Loved watching Cullinan in full flow. Played well v everyone bar Australia really. Loved India and Newlands. But always remember his class innings when Devon Malcolm went mental at the Oval.

In many ways him and Gibbs are similar. Both can be perceived to have prickly personalities. Both were teenage prodigy's who debuted at 16 in FC cricket. Both were stroke-makers who despite averaging in the 40's in test cricket may have under-achieved considering their natural talent.

SeamUp

International Coach
Domingo seems calm over our batting line-up

Standard Bank Proteas coach Russell Domingo believes his squad remains a ‘work in progress’ despite the success in the current test match series against New Zealand.

The Proteas hold a crucial 1-0 lead going into the final match starting at Seddon Park in Hamilton on Saturday, and have identified key areas to tweak as they look to maintain their unbeaten series record in New Zealand.

The bowlers earned full marks following their performance in Wellington, and will take the confidence of performing on any surface into the unknown conditions expected for the final match. An area of concern for the coach has been some of the batting form, which has been inconsistent throughout the series.

“All batting units at international level will always have one player that is struggling for form,” Domingo said in Hamilton on Wednesday. “That is okay, you can’t rely on one player, that is why it’s a batting unit, that is why it’s a team. The team has to try and help those players get out of those slumps.

“Every player has been in those slumps,” he added. “We have two or three players who are feeling that pressure at the moment and that is a concern. It’s always easier to have one but if you have two or three who are searching for form and runs it does become a bit more challenging.

“We are fortunate that some guys are in good form; Dean Elgar, Temba Bavuma, Quinton de Kock and Faf du Plessis, they are all in good touch and it is helping the cause.”

A series win will be another feather in the team’s successful record this season, which has been highlighted by an away series win against Australia and a 3-0 series whitewash at home to Sri Lanka.

Success this week will also be another step towards rebuilding the test team’s proud away record, after the nine-year unbeaten streak was broken by India in 2015.

“We have lost one series away from home in the last 10 years,” Domingo said. “The one in India was the one we lost. The side takes a lot of pride in how well we travel. They (players) enjoy each other’s company; enjoy seeing new countries. That is one of the main ingredients for why we travel well and play good cricket, the guys enjoy being together.

“It’s a massive feat for this side to come here being 1-0 up with one to play,” he added. “We know it’s not done yet, New Zealand are a quality side and we are going to have to be at our best to beat them.”