• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is MS Dhoni an ATG OdI batsmen?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top 5 ODI Batsmen of all time

Viv
Sachin
Kohli
MSD
AB

ATG ODI side -

Sachin
Jayasuriya
Viv
Kohli
AB
MSD (wk)
Flintoff
Warne
Wasim
Ambrose
Murali

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
HB that side is amazing but I'd take Gilchrist over Jaya and Bevan over Dhoni outside Asia.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
HB that side is amazing but I'd take Gilchrist over Jaya and Bevan over Dhoni outside Asia.
Agree. As revolutionary as Sanath was, Gilchrist was more so.

Gilchrist is still the ODI batsman who freaked me out more than any other in the opposition NZ played.

Bevan's left arm chinaman does get overrated.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sure, ODI records change so much based on conditions anyways. Nothing wrong with that. But I would dare say I may not want Bevan in England or Windies either so basically its juz the southern hemisphere where I would take those two over Dhoni and Jayasuriya. And I think Jayasuriya is good for more runs than Gilly even there anyways. I will probably swap Bevan for MSD and get AB to keep in the southern hemisphere with my side.

And there is always a case for the fantasy opening pair of Sachin and Lara in an ATG ODI side. Imagine that: Top 3 of Sachin - Lara - Viv. Drooling already :)

Gob

International Coach
Matt Hayden (07)
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli
AB Devilliers
Andrew Symonds
MS Dhoni
Shaun Pollock
Brett Lee
Waqar Younis
Muralidaran

Zinzan

Matt Hayden (07)
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli
AB Devilliers
Andrew Symonds
MS Dhoni
Shaun Pollock
Brett Lee
Waqar Younis
Muralidaran
Brett Lee was a very good ODI bowler... but you can't be serious.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
People tend to overrate Gilchrist as an ODI opener a little bit. There is no reason to suggest that he should be an automatic selection in All Time ODI XI the way he is in a Test XI in a Post Dhoni world.

Yes he was an explosive opener, but not beyond debate when you look at other explosive ODI openers such as Jayasuriya, Anwar, Hayden, Dilshan etc.

The only way Gilchrist becomes an automatic selection is when he walks into the side as a keeper but with Dhoni in the conversation, that's also up for debate. (ODIs only)

Gob

International Coach
Garner, Hadlee, Akram, McGrath & Holding, just a few who spring to mind.
Yeah and Brett springs to my mind with them he is as good as any of them in ODIs. I wanted a line and length bowler (Pollock), good death bowler (Waqar) and a new ball strike bowler in my attack and no body with 200+ wickets has a better strike rate than Brett

Zinzan

People tend to overrate Gilchrist as an ODI opener a little bit. There is no reason to suggest that he should be an automatic selection in All Time ODI XI the way he is in a Test XI in a Post Dhoni world.

Yes he was an explosive opener, but not beyond debate when you look at other explosive ODI openers such as Jayasuriya, Anwar, Hayden, Dilshan etc.
I personally think it is compared with those other names you mention there, with the possible exception of Jayasuriya, in which a decent sort of argument could be made, but I'm still taking Gilchrist. And btw I say that as a huge Anwar fan.

Zinzan

Yeah and Brett springs to my mind with them he is as good as any of them in ODIs. I wanted a line and length bowler (Pollock), good death bowler (Waqar) and a new ball strike bowler in my attack and no body with 200+ wickets has a better strike rate than Brett
Each to their own. Just the first time I can ever remember seeing Lee in someone's ATG ODI XI, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

Personally would have any of those others I mentioned comfortably ahead, and even Shane Bond ahead of Lee in spite of the fact he took less wickets.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
You don't need Jaya and Klusenar. One of the two will suffice. If you're going for Zulu you're better off with Gilchrist and Bevan. Bevan can give you a couple of overs of spin if needed anyway.

The thing is, when you're taking about the best ever, second best isn't good enough. Gilchrist is a better keeper than Dhoni and Bevan is a better batsman than Dhoni. Especially outside Asia.
SO we can have our XI as

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Viv
AB
Bevan
Klusenar
Wasim
Warne
Mcgrath
Garner

Tendulkar or Bevan can bowl few overs of needed.

Gob

International Coach
Each to their own. Just the first time I can ever remember seeing Lee in someone's ATG ODI XI, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

Personally would have any of those others I mentioned comfortably ahead, and even Shane Bond ahead of Lee in spite of the fact he took less wickets.
Fair. Would take Lee comfortably over Bond given his longevity but Bond was one of the few to succeed against the great Aust sides.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Maybe Dhoni had the edge on Bevan in Asia, but Bevan was way better everywhere else.
During the one big match situation he had to help his team out in a big way, the 1996 WC final, his strike rate was 73, where he scored 36* off 49 balls. Just did not have the game to hit out when it mattered. And no, an irrelevant 185 in a charity game doesn't count.

Zinzan

During the one big match situation he had to help his team out in a big way, the 1996 WC final, his strike rate was 73, where he scored 36* off 49 balls. Just did not have the game to hit out when it mattered. And no, an irrelevant 185 in a charity game doesn't count.
You mean like Dhoni in the 2015 Semi-final?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
But you're comparing strike rates from 1996 to modern standards. 36 from 49 was acceptable back then, if not great, and 241 was a more than defendable total in that final.