• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Side I'd like to see for 2nd test

4 Broom
5 Nicholls
6 Watling
7 Neesham
8 CDG
9 Patel
10 Wagner
11 Boult/Southee (depending on injury)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Let's be honest though, kids and toddlers shouldn't even be going to cricket, especially tests.

If you aren't intelligent enough to count to 10 there's no way you should be watching a sport catered to the most advanced minds.
I've met people who can't even count to 6. And they're umpires!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair to say the teams looked relatively even on that wicket, especially since SA won the toss.

Not sure what to expect from the Basin, & whether there's any chance of a similarly dry variable deck like this one. SA will just be too good if there's much in it for the Rabada and Philander.

Long term forecast looks pretty good for at least the first 3 days,

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm keen to see how Broom goes. Have always been curious to see how he'd handle the longer format. I think debuting someone new would be the move if we didn't have Henry ****ing Nicholls in the side already. I'd much prefer we drop Nicholls and play Broom with one of Young or Bruce debuting, from a development PoV.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nicholls is a spud and I'm super gutted Guptill is out now so we're robbed of a 3rd Test team of

Latham
Raval/next
Williamson
Taylor
Guptill
Neesham
Watling
Santner
Wagner
Southee/Patel
Boult

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ should be the much happier side coming out of this. Were by far the likelier side to win it going into day 5. Very good performances by Kane, Boult and Wagner. Shame we were robbed of a potentially interesting finish to the match.

But hey, it's still 0-0, so everything still to play for.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
NZ should be the much happier side coming out of this. Were by far the likelier side to win it going into day 5. Very good performances by Kane, Boult and Wagner. Shame we were robbed of a potentially interesting finish to the match.

But hey, it's still 0-0, so everything still to play for.
Yep, and without one of our two top batsmen and a small bit without one of or two top bowlers. And despite a fielding and referral meltdown for the ages! So some very encouraging signs for NZ, I think.

I was in favour of Broom coming into the test side when he returned to the ODIs and did so well against Bangers, but the moment seems to have passed now. Oh well, hope he does well still, he deserves at least one test in his career. Agree that Nicholls is the real problem in that batting order.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Disappointing first test for SA.

Qdk needs to get it together can't an ordinary spinner like Patel causing him these issues.

Would like de bruyn ahead of either jp or bavuma for the next game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Every year Dunedin gets a bum rap. Auckland/Hamilton wouldve had zero play (and Napier, if they got a few mm down there). Yeah it's cold, it's near the North Pole. I like that we subject our tourists to the cold, just as they subject us to extreme heat. Test had've started one day earlier, we would've got five days.
:huh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Dunedin is a joke. Its bright till 10pm in Auckland
Haha, this is a joke too right?

If this Test were in Auckland, it'd be 0-0 plays 0-0 for a start. So let's not keep pretending Dunedin's weather is an embarrasment to the rest of the country. This Test and the NZ Open in Queenstown going on nicely when if in our biggest metropolitan centre, would be a nightmare. Even a horse race got called off, and horses tend be okay with a bit of rain.
Hear, bloody hear. Dunedin weather-bashing is so ****ing tedious. Never mind the outright lie from veganbob.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointing first test for SA.

Qdk needs to get it together can't an ordinary spinner like Patel causing him these issues.

Would like de bruyn ahead of either jp or bavuma for the next game.
Won't happen, you just know Duminy will get one more game than he should and then pull out a knock that saves his skin

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
With the amount of rain we've had the last few days, plus meh weather for the next few days , we might accidentally get an interesting pitch for the Wellington test.

The game might be watchable.

Although never underestimate modern drainage's ability to make cricket pitches boring, if desired, regardless of the weather.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/90368103/basin-reserve-pitch-hasnt-seen-daylight-since-last-friday-as-big-wet-plays-havoc-with-second-test-preparation

Hasn't seen daylight for 4 days.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No way on earth is SA bringing in a 2nd spinner for one of the quick`s in NZ.... unless they transfer the pitch from Nagpur. That article is such a Moonda article trying to produce controversy when there is none. Yes the pitches are going to be slower and turn a bit more than normal because NZ feel they have an advantage in the spin rather than pace bowling department. Fair enough.

Marius

International Debutant
No way on earth is SA bringing in a 2nd spinner for one of the quick`s in NZ.... unless they transfer the pitch from Nagpur. That article is such a Moonda article trying to produce controversy when there is none. Yes the pitches are going to be slower and turn a bit more than normal because NZ feel they have an advantage in the spin rather than pace bowling department. Fair enough.
Peak Moonda.