• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's tempting to suggest that this puts England's performance into even greater perspective, even allowing for batting first on this track
Maybe it just shows what can happen when your domestic game cba to produce some decent spinners.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India should go back to the 7 batsmen route I think.

Anyone up for an avatar bet on who wins the series? My bet is still on India.
Nah I think Australia will from here. India look busted. Been a hell of a long summer for them.

Australia has two spinners bowling flat and in good areas for Indian conditions for the first time in forever. Those comparison graphics betwen the areas bowled by Ashwin/ Jadeja and Lyon/ SOK are instructive. Australias spinners have bowled the same areas as India's' and at similar pace. It's like they've read Indias play book and adopted it. They've done it so well. It may not last, but I think it well. I can't recall an Australian team so single minded on a tour to India.

OverratedSanity

SOK is a bit of a hack like Jadeja.
When the pitch is right, they can be unplayable, otherwise, they are mainly defensive bowlers looking to keep it tight and build pressure.

And the fact that the Indian lineup is full of right handers and has not seen much of SOK before, its really helping him.
On the other hand Australia have played it smart by having a equal mix of left and right handed batsmen, which has made it harder for either of the Indian spinners to get on a spree..
Heh no neither of them are hacks.

Keep the salt coming though.

Burgey

Reckon he started bowling better in the Sydney test, he was varying his pace more and bowling closer to the stumps and more on off stump. Likely be too late to save his career, especially if O'Keefe continues to turn in this sort of performance.
True that. But if he bowls like this all series he'll play a massive part, and will grab a bag at least once.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Have a word with your curators. I think roads would suit India more, like that final wicket against England where you just batted them out of the game. Turners actually bite you in the bum as it basically means anyone can turn it as well as Ashwin - if not better. Ashwin and Jadeja are more impressive on wickets which do not turn so dramatically.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Just makes you think how significant it was SOK getting injured midway through the 1st Test of last year's SL series was.

Amazing that Australia have put in such a dominant performance despite the Marsh brothers fulfilling most of their worst stereotypes this Test; still don't know how Shaun missed that slips catch that could've easily been edged.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Man, the review use by India looks like a deliberate ploy to try and get them out of using DRS in the future again. Really wish Kohli was out to a wrong decision so we could've watched his mid-pitch mental breakdown into tantrum live.

OverratedSanity

Have a word with your curators. I think roads would suit India more, like that final wicket against England where you just batted them out of the game. Turners actually bite you in the bum as it basically means anyone can turn it as well as Ashwin - if not better. Ashwin and Jadeja are more impressive on wickets which do not turn so dramatically.
This would've been our thinking usually, but against Australia, we all thought a flat deck would make it too easy for their batsmen.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
They've done it so well. It may not last, but I think it well. I can't recall an Australian team so single minded on a tour to India.
This Test has had a very 2004 feel to it.

As for Oz losing the series from here, think only India 2001 & England 2005 has Oz lost a Test series after being a Test up since Botham's Ashes.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not really surprising. Most of these batsmen made their names as good test prospects at a time when Ranji pitches were roads unlike the 90s crop and struggle when they are facing good spinners. I don't think we could have done anything better here and there are no quick fix batsmen who are known in the domestic circuit for playing spin well. Pujara is our best bat against spin and maybe Vijay. Hope they cope with the loss well and come back stronger in the next game.

adub

International Captain
SOK is a bit of a hack like Jadeja.
When the pitch is right, they can be unplayable, otherwise, they are mainly defensive bowlers looking to keep it tight and build pressure.

And the fact that the Indian lineup is full of right handers and has not seen much of SOK before, its really helping him.
On the other hand Australia have played it smart by having a equal mix of left and right handed batsmen, which has made it harder for either of the Indian spinners to get on a spree..
Just when you think you couldn't see something more embarrassing than the Indian catching, batting and use of DRS along comes this post