• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers now the one and only "AB"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep. Another example of something I started and ***** and other pricks ruined it. So ****.

Had Spikey going hard at it too back then.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You ****s keep this **** going still? Fmd where's de Villiers now? Hasn't been sighted. Why? "Injury". SMC. TOTAB played 153 consecutive tests including several with a broken thumb.

For those who *still* don't get it, check out the nickname thread for the definitive exposition of the etiquette surrounding this.

You ****s. You utter, utter ****s. I gave my son the initials AB because of Allan Border, not because of some flash blow-in Jaapie. Yet even I know that should Burgeinho ever enter the storied world of international cricket, he will not be known as AB, because the only true AB is Allan Border.

Upon TOTAB's passing (should he ever pass) we will reassess. Until then, he is AB. That's it. No more.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
They are just jealous numb skulls wanting to share in the AB love, but with insecurity issues. When I was a child i would tease someone with something not funny for maybe a day. Then maturity, even at 5, would best me and I'd pick a new topic to annoy my mother with.
Let it be known... AB is for all. Yes, he was foremost for Australians, but AB transcends Borders.

This kind of crap should be a bannable offence. It's a health hazard. My eyes are sore from rolling so many times.

Zinzan

i'm not retiring from tests!!

but i won't be touring new zealand

i'm not retiring from tests!!

but i won't be touring england

lol

the absolute state of people offering up this piss weak, flip flopping bloke as some equal to the great allan border.
Agree, he and the management team could have at least just feigned an injury or said he's still not quite right rather than this wishy washy BS about wanting to still play tests, but only the ones that suit him.

You couldn't be more right about the original and real AB either, IIRC he played 150 odd consecutive Test matches and would have played on one leg if he needed to.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
AB played 98 plus ODIs plus T20s and IPL. You can question the circumstances around how he was managed, the captaincy issue and the quotas all you want but to question is commitment is stupid to say the least. He kept inspite of having a back condition like Clarke and actually said he will do it for the sake of team balance even if it took out a couple of years off his career, which I guess is happening now.

Zinzan

AB played 98 plus ODIs plus T20s and IPL. You can question the circumstances around how he was managed, the captaincy issue and the quotas all you want but to question is commitment is stupid to say the least. He kept inspite of having a back condition like Clarke and actually said he will do it for the sake of team balance even if it took out a couple of years off his career, which I guess is happening now.
Only that's precisely not what's happening now though is it? 1) He's supposedly fit and over the injury & 2) He's hasn't even been close to being asked to keep since de Kock's burst onto the scene.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Who said he is over the injury? The comparison with Clarke was that it is a similar back condition that has to be managed over a period of time. You dont just wake up and get better one day. You do progressive damage and he must have done a lot of it when he was keeping full time AND batting 5 and playing big innings. And he kept as late as early last year in test cricket.

Look, I am not saying this is ideal but the guy has done enough to be given the benefit of the doubt over this decision. Maybe the CSA have quotas on their minds in order to bid for the next World T20 and maybe the cut off will be just before the home season and hence AB is taking himself out of the equation so that the combination going well at the moment is not disturbed. If that is the case, and we all can only speculate either way, then to me, that is greater than anything Border did, as great as he was. I just think we should show bit more respect to a guy who has always done everything asked of him for his teams.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i guarantee you once the 5th of april rolls around and the ipl kicks off he will be in india ready to take guard for RCB.

absolute horse ****ery that he needs to rule himself out of the england tour now because of injury.

i have zero issue with him not playing tests but be up front about it.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
You ****s keep this **** going still? Fmd where's de Villiers now? Hasn't been sighted. Why? "Injury". SMC. TOTAB played 153 consecutive tests including several with a broken thumb.

For those who *still* don't get it, check out the nickname thread for the definitive exposition of the etiquette surrounding this.

You ****s. You utter, utter ****s. I gave my son the initials AB because of Allan Border, not because of some flash blow-in Jaapie. Yet even I know that should Burgeinho ever enter the storied world of international cricket, he will not be known as AB, because the only true AB is Allan Border.

Upon TOTAB's passing (should he ever pass) we will reassess. Until then, he is AB. That's it. No more.
How drunk were you when writing this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Who said he is over the injury? The comparison with Clarke was that it is a similar back condition that has to be managed over a period of time. You dont just wake up and get better one day. You do progressive damage and he must have done a lot of it when he was keeping full time AND batting 5 and playing big innings. And he kept as late as early last year in test cricket.

Look, I am not saying this is ideal but the guy has done enough to be given the benefit of the doubt over this decision. Maybe the CSA have quotas on their minds in order to bid for the next World T20 and maybe the cut off will be just before the home season and hence AB is taking himself out of the equation so that the combination going well at the moment is not disturbed. If that is the case, and we all can only speculate either way, then to me, that is greater than anything Border did, as great as he was. I just think we should show bit more respect to a guy who has always done everything asked of him for his teams.
Clarke barely missed any Tests because of his back though, and almost all of those were right at the end of his career. It's not quite a fair comparison. Say what you want for Clarke, but he did absolutely everything humanly possible to make sure he was available for Test matches, and Test matches strictly.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Clarke barely missed any Tests because of his back though, and almost all of those were right at the end of his career. It's not quite a fair comparison. Say what you want for Clarke, but he did absolutely everything humanly possible to make sure he was available for Test matches, and Test matches strictly.
I was comparing only the condition though...
AB played 98 consecutive Test matches along with being a regular in the ODIs and T20 sides, so it's hardly like AB's back was keeping out of the game. And this injury now is to do with his elbow.

Spark

Global Moderator
Right. The point with Clarke is that he missed tons and tons and tons of ODIs and T20s because of his back, but he almost never failed to get up for a Test match until the last part of his career. So you can't just point to Clarke as a reason for him missing Test matches, because the fact is that Clarke didn't.

Daemon

You've just got to listen to his interviews about how passionate he is for SA and it's obvious there are legit reasons he's doing this.

You're kidding yourself if you think it's about money. Absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I do not understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong but he has declined playing against New Zealand and South Africa in order to concentrate on one-dayers, yet, he is not retiring from the Test format!

Victor Ian

International Coach
In assessing all time test greats, should I hold it against those players that shorten their test career to prolong their limited careers?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
In assessing all time test greats, should I hold it against those players that shorten their test career to prolong their limited careers?
should have their test records erased from history imo

all test match fixtures that their team won should be changed to a no result