• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abolish the DRS

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Absolutely wrong. Umpire's call is essential and an excellent idea whoever came up with that, I probably wouldn't have thought of it.

The margin of error necessitates something like "umpire's call" existing. Also without it the Umpire's original decision is meaningless. "Benefit of the doubt" going with the umpire is as it should be.

As I said, I honestly couldn't think of a way to improve it right now. (other than potential technology updates, obviously, but that's not really anything to do with the system)
Why is it in the hands of the players then? The player has made a call on a decision that is so line ball that it's not worth overturning. But the tech says it's 2mm (which is within margin of error) the other way and he gets a wicket or stays batting. That's unfair, which is what we're trying to get rid of, isn't it?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is it in the hands of the players then? The player has made a call on a decision that is so line ball that it's not worth overturning. But the tech says it's 2mm (which is within margin of error) the other way and he gets a wicket or stays batting. That's unfair, which is what we're trying to get rid of, isn't it?
Because it's there to get rid of howlers. This has been said time and again. A "wrong" decision that is missing/hitting the stumps by a millimeter doesn't necessarily need to be overturned.

Plus there's the margin of error, as mentioned before. You can't have DRS be the only factor in a decision if there's any margin whatsoever.

Isura

U19 Captain
Imagine what a farce that game the other day would have been without DRS, where they set a record for the greatest number of upheld reviews.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather see results based on how well teams perform, rather than on how poorly the umpires perform.
The best teams won before the DRS. Nothing really changes in the long run except it makes commentators and pedants feel better.

Blocky

Banned
If having to wait a few minutes for a decision really irritates you that much then you should probably find another sport to watch.
To be fair though they could speed up proceedings quite a lot... at the moment they're taking a good 3 minutes just to review whether or not the ball hits the bat in LBW calls, they could easily queue up hot spot + snicko + spin vision and have it all run at the same time to show that it hasn't hit the edge before going to ball tracking. That's my pet peeve about it, listening to the third umpire state "Obvious gap between bat and ball there, but lets go to hot spot just to make sure.... ok, no hot spot but bring up snicko for me and rock and roll it.... ok, it hasn't hit the bat, now lets go to ball tracking"

Isura

U19 Captain
And as we speak, you have this idiot Sir Ian Botham arguing we need more reviews, to make up for India's ineptitude for choosing reviews.

TheJediBrah

The best teams won before the DRS. Nothing really changes in the long run except it makes commentators and pedants feel better.
Not always though. I can remember quite a few series where umpiring controversies played a huge part. A few of the extreme whingers even threatened to go home as a result.

Blocky

Banned
I've not yet been given a convincing argument of why umpire's call is essential.
Statistical margin of error; the whole entire reason that they're not willing to trust DRS beyond a clear hit is because statistical margin of error indicates that a reasonable portion of deliveries that are projected to clip the stumps do not clip the stumps.

What should however occur when there is an "umpires call" review that upholds the original decision, is that the team does not lose their review... then reset the reviews to just one per 80 overs to stop the gambling element to them.

Isura

U19 Captain
Not always though. I can remember quite a few series where umpiring controversies played a huge part. A few of the extreme whingers even threatened to go home as a result.
Once they removed the home umpires in tests, results become a lot more fair.

Daemon

To be fair though they could speed up proceedings quite a lot... at the moment they're taking a good 3 minutes just to review whether or not the ball hits the bat in LBW calls, they could easily queue up hot spot + snicko + spin vision and have it all run at the same time to show that it hasn't hit the edge before going to ball tracking. That's my pet peeve about it, listening to the third umpire state "Obvious gap between bat and ball there, but lets go to hot spot just to make sure.... ok, no hot spot but bring up snicko for me and rock and roll it.... ok, it hasn't hit the bat, now lets go to ball tracking"
I've read that ball tracking takes a couple of minutes or more to come up, not instantaneous. But yeah they need to be flexible and skip snicko/hot spot if it's obvious on the slow mo and if ball tracking is ready.

Shri

Mr. Glass
As I've said before, DRS should, in my opinion, be applied as the authority on all decisions. If it goes upstairs, DRS makes the decision. Not at all influences by what decision an umpire made in real time on the field. If half or more of the ball is hitting, out. If less, not out. Irrelevant what the umpire said, because we are told and we believe ourselves that technology is able to make a more proof-based decision with more time and information to do so. It doesn't eliminate decision making on field, because teams will still **** their reviews up.
A 1000% this.

Shri

Mr. Glass
As I've said before, DRS should, in my opinion, be applied as the authority on all decisions. If it goes upstairs, DRS makes the decision. Not at all influences by what decision an umpire made in real time on the field. If half or more of the ball is hitting, out. If less, not out. Irrelevant what the umpire said, because we are told and we believe ourselves that technology is able to make a more proof-based decision with more time and information to do so. It doesn't eliminate decision making on field, because teams will still **** their reviews up.
Adding to this, what Steve said means every batsman gets the same decisions within acceptable margins regardless of umpire bias. We shouldn't really worry about millimeters worth of differences in appeals, when everyone gets the same system deciding on a dismissal, no one has reason to feel slighted. It would be pretty good to have it in place.

TheJediBrah

Once they removed the home umpires in tests, results become a lot more fair.
This is true, but did not solve the problem entirely

Statistical margin of error; the whole entire reason that they're not willing to trust DRS beyond a clear hit is because statistical margin of error indicates that a reasonable portion of deliveries that are projected to clip the stumps do not clip the stumps.

What should however occur when there is an "umpires call" review that upholds the original decision, is that the team does not lose their review... then reset the reviews to just one per 80 overs to stop the gambling element to them.
Yes, absolutely, many have said that before. The reviewing team should definitely not lose a review for an umpire's call decision.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I wanted them to go the rugby union route where the umpire's free to ask to tv umpire to take a closer look at the replay before coming to a decision.

Burner

International Regular
Isn't that what happens now? I believe if more than half of the ball is hitting, it overturns the umpire's decision of not out to out?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wanted them to go the rugby union route where the umpire's free to ask to tv umpire to take a closer look at the replay before coming to a decision.
Which would mean they send every decision upstairs and waste a lot more time.