• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Sri Lanka 2016

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mendis has a shot at probably the oldest existing record in test cricket.

Bannerman scored 165 out of a team total of 245, that is about 67.3% of the team's runs. Mendis stands at 137 out of 224 (about 61.1%).

If he stays on till late and farms the strike with the tailenders, good old Bannerman might just lose out on a 139-year old record.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Apparently Mendis' 138 is the highest score against Australia in Sri Lanka. All that tells me is that Australia can't have played much at the SSC.

91Jmay

International Coach
You don't see any difference in the situation of the game/ the pitch between day one at Lord's and this game? That's itstl.
An extremely flat pitch when the opposition is flying, vs a harder to bat on pitch when opposition are 100 ahead with 6 wickets left (roughly when the field went out).

Would argue England's more defensive response was probably more justified. I think Smith has given away to many easy singles here.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An extremely flat pitch when the opposition is flying, vs a harder to bat on pitch when opposition are 100 ahead with 6 wickets left (roughly when the field went out).

Would argue England's more defensive response was probably more justified. I think Smith has given away to many easy singles here.
I guess we have pretty different approaches to it. This bloke's playing an epic knock and the partnership was cruising along pretty well. As you say, it's not an easy pitch to bat on so far. They were >100 ahead on a surface where runs are hard to come by. Leaving the field up and letting the set batsmen thread boundaries through it sees the lead escalate at a faster rate IMO. And a lead of 180 is defendable against this Australian batting line up, 220 I'd reckon it's Even Stevens.