• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

30 Test hundreds

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner is totally going to make it

As are all 4 of Root, Smith, Williamson and Kohli but it's not like this is a bold statement

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think anyone would be surprised if Williamson didn't reach 30 tons mainly because NZ play fewer games than England, Australia and India. I would imagine one of Root, Smith and Kohli will fail to get there but not predicting who as when you have a bunch of 3 or 4 great players one usually gets worn down by the amount of cricket or just gets injuries and falls away.

mr_mister

I don't think anyone would be surprised if Williamson didn't reach 30 tons mainly because NZ play fewer games than England, Australia and India. I would imagine one of Root, Smith and Kohli will fail to get there but not predicting who as when you have a bunch of 3 or 4 great players one usually gets worn down by the amount of cricket or just gets injuries and falls away.
Sachin Lara S Waugh

Dravid Kallis Chanderpaul Hayden Ponting

Sanga Mahela Younis Sehwag

all got there!

flibbertyjibber

13 tons at 25 lol he'd have to seriously start sucking or retire hella young to make 30
Yeah but he only needs to lose a bit of form and then has that year when NZ play less than 6 games and he is 2 years older and only has one or two more tons. Not saying it will definitely happen but not impossible.

We don't know what the captaincy will do to his batting either.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Clarke and G Smith are two great examples of how the century count can suddenly just stop. You can't just assume run scoring will carry merrily on through someone's thirties. Tendulkar, Kallis Sangakkara and Dravid were the weirdos, not the norm, even amonst the world's top batsmen.

Daemon

If they didn't retire earlier than is the norm (forced in the case of Pietersen) they'd have got there one would think.

Also Sehwag fell 7 short @mr_mister

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If they didn't retire earlier than is the norm (forced in the case of Pietersen) they'd have got there one would think.

Pietersen still needs 7 and had he not been booted when he was may well have been dropped (wasn't exactly in amazing form anyway) and would be 35 now amyway.

flibbertyjibber

Who is to say any one of the new big 4 isn't going to retire early though. Might be Root with his back for all we know.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Clarke and G Smith are two great examples of how the century count can suddenly just stop. You can't just assume run scoring will carry merrily on through someone's thirties. Tendulkar, Kallis Sangakkara and Dravid were the weirdos, not the norm, even amonst the world's top batsmen.
Yep. Its amazing how people think this though.

mr_mister

lol I mixed up how surprised I was to find Sehwag ended up averaging over 50 with how surprised I was Chanderpaul made it to 30 tons when doing heaps of stat hunting recently

(not a shot at either players I rate them both)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fact Pietersen is a great example of how difficult predicting this sort of thing can be because IIRC he came out of the India series 5 years ago with 19 Test tons to his name in a career that had been 6 years to that point. Off the top of my head in his last 3 years he scored 4 tons - his incredible 3 in 2012 plus one final ton at Old Trafford in the 2013 Ashes to end up on 23. In 2011 nobody would have predicted the way his career ended up.

Sure, Williamson is an excellent player but he's also come off a recent(ish) patch of form which is both well above the mean and was in an 18 month to 2 year period where New Zealand played quite a lot of Test cricket. There's no guarantee he'll just immediately hit the heights of 2014 again straight away.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep. Its amazing how people think this though.
Same thing happens in prediction threads where people (usually morgie) confidently predict that the next bright young thing is a certainty to score x thousand runs/take x hundred wickets without giving any thought as to how difficult a task that is.