• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cnerd123

likes this
How much 'coaching' is the National Team Coach doing anyways?

And this level he isn't going to be teaching them batting technique or how to bowl a topspinner. All the coaching certs/qualifications and 'climbing up the ladder' is really irrelevant. He has had a long, distinguished career as a Test cricketer. He has captained the side too. The amount of insight he will be able to bring in terms on the mental aspects of cricket, in terms of strategy, and even in terms of understanding what it is like being an International Cricketer is absolutely priceless.

On top of that, he is a very good contrast to the personality of Virat Kohli, and I think they could make a really good pair in terms of leadership.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's this mini-IPL business I'm reading about on cricinfo? Yay, yet more domestic T20.

Said no one (sensible), ever.

****ing useless bunch of ****s.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How much 'coaching' is the National Team Coach doing anyways?

And this level he isn't going to be teaching them batting technique or how to bowl a topspinner. All the coaching certs/qualifications and 'climbing up the ladder' is really irrelevant. He has had a long, distinguished career as a Test cricketer. He has captained the side too. The amount of insight he will be able to bring in terms on the mental aspects of cricket, in terms of strategy, and even in terms of understanding what it is like being an International Cricketer is absolutely priceless.

On top of that, he is a very good contrast to the personality of Virat Kohli, and I think they could make a really good pair in terms of leadership.
This is exactly the argument for Kapil Dev. He used to tell the cricketers as coach in Australia to go and give your best etc. This argument that the coach does mostly 'motivating' is bull****. Coaches have an impact on national level. Else why have a coach at all.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
See, Kumble might turn out to be a good coach. However, the process sucks. Why not have some one like him or any one who wants to apply be asked to coach smaller sides for a bit. Has several advantages and no real disadvantages per say. The person in question is prepared for a higher level job to at least some extent. The hiring party gets an evaluation at least how the concerned person might be as India coach if he is appointed.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
They wanted Zaheer Khan as bowling coach too but he declined. Anurag Thakur or some one from BCI mentioned that had Dravid accepted the coaching job, there wouldn't be a selection process for the coach in the first place.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And they said this regime wud be better :p. Sounds like we juz switched arrogant mama for arrogant Dada..
Difference is Ganguly at least has good of cricket in mind. Please stop comparing Srini with others as he was the absolute worst compared to Dalmiya, Ganguly etc.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Regarding Ravi Shastri, he joined them when the team was a mess. The team improved after that. He and Kohli had a tuning. Kohli appreciated his efforts. If it was a coach we liked, we would be going gaga over that person. However, it was Shastri, so we rubbish him. Find this quite interesting. The way he has reacted shows that he wanted the job and felt for it as well. Ganguly not being there for his interview was dire, has to be said.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sandip Patil also applied and he wasn't even short listed. That's not nice to know as Patil was some one who had the experience, he was an Indian. You don't usually have that combination.

Ganguly is essentially forming his own team. He was always a big Sanjay Bangar backer, for instance. Amre missed out too. I don't like this aspect at all. While I trust cricketers from our golden generation like the fab 4 etc, there are other people who can do terrific work as well. Trying to form your own team means you are giving less importance to #teamkohli and more to #teamganguly. This was always a problem with Ganguly. He gets so attached to it all that he cannot look at it impersonally.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A bit more regarding Kumble. He has always thought that he is an analytical genius. He knows a lot of computers and that's a basis for his reasoning. Ages ago, he launched a computer cricket game with his brother which was like International Cricket Captain where you tried to win a world cup. It was okay. While a coach does require to analyse data, others for the job could do it as well like say a Vettori or some other coaches from the same generation. The thing is, I don't trust the analytical aspects of Kumble a lot. For years, he was **** abroad and it took him a lifetime to figure it out. I fear he will be too analytical for the team's good. We don't know this though as we have essentially gambled with him as he has no coaching pedigree. Another negative is there is far too much focus on the coach now. Shastri didn't draw too much attention, neither do most good coaches. How Kumble remains a good coach rather than a media star remains to be seen.

The things about Kumble which work are his tenacity, fighting spirit and leadership. So he might do a good job too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So anyone got serious points about Ganguly's arrogance leading us inexorably towards another controversy filled few years apart from the usual #pratterslogic nonsense of Bengal good, TN bad??

cnerd123

likes this
Shastri didn't do an amazing job with the team. We lost an ODI series in Zim. Our ODI team sucked home and away; we were lucky to make that WC Semi thanks to a good performance against SA and a reasonably easy group. We bossed it at home, as usual, and did better than expected at the WT20, almost entirely thanks to Kohli.

He didn't bring in any new players that weren't already on the fringes of the side - perhaps Axar Patel, who isn't really anything special.

The side's performance under Shastri was about par I reckon. Add to that the fact he basically had as much coaching experience/qualification as Kumble did when he was appointed to be the 'Team Director' or whatever his title is, and that he was part of the think tank that had Aaron and Yadav bowling around the wicket and wide of off to Warner (amongst other strange tactical decisions) and I find it hard to be excited about him being coach tbh. Plus he was already on the BCCI salary as commentator/hype man for eons before he got the gig. He was hardly going to ever make any unpopular moves.

Kumble is a much better fit for the job. Recently retired, better personality mesh with Kohli, and is a man of enough stature that you can see him doing what's best for the team rather than whats best for him to keep his job.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So anyone got serious points about Ganguly's arrogance leading us inexorably towards another controversy filled few years apart from the usual #pratterslogic nonsense of Bengal good, TN bad??
LOL, given that I have criticised Ganguly a fair bit.