• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which batsmen scored the most memorable Test centuries in history?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steve Waughs memorable test tons

His 177* in '89, finally breaks the shackles after 4 years going without a test ton

His 200 in '95 against the WI, goes without saying, considered one of the best knocks of all time

His 160 in '97 against SA, along with Blewett's 214 they put together a mammoth partnership, memorable IMO

Both his tons in that test during Ashes '97, a rare event and it was a match winning effort

His 112 in Ashes '98, rescued Australia on Day 1 of the series from 5/100 to make sure this was yet another replica urn not reaching england's shores

His 199 in 1999 against the Windies, possibly a little overshadowed by Brian's 153* in the same match, but an epic innings nonetheless, came within a whisker of his second double ton, its always memorable to fall that short

His 151* in '99 against Zimbabwe, which made him the first person to score tons against all 8 test playing opponents at the time.

His 157* not in Ashes '01, his last ever test in England ended in a blaze of glory

And his last ball four for his 102 in Ashes '03, no need to go into detail about why this was memorable

So yeah, Steve Waugh for mine! And his 120* against SA in the '99 World Cup is objectively in the top 5 ODI centuries of all time. to say otherwise is showing a poor understanding of what makes a cricket narrative so enticing

i'll hop off Steve now, but my god he's a champ

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who's the best in this regard these days? Cos it feels like a lot of the guys that come to mind with regards to recent players as an answer for the question have retired....

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure but people are mentioning Sobers, Bradman, McCabe etc.

All great players but at least Viv's career is available on youtube

Watch him - guy was sublime
I have. But as I said earlier, watching on youtube is one thing, being in the moment of the match is another. For me what counts as memorable has a lot to do with the context of the game, being in that moment, and anticipating each ball without knowing the outcome. Hence not getting to watch Viv live is truly sad. But I got to watch the next best thing - Brian Charles. Chasing 300 plus in the fourth innings and no one else scores above 38, McGrath and Gillespie at the other end destroying the batting line up. Just the waiting for each delivery Lara faced in that innings was what made it perhaps the most special and memorable knock I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely I'm missing something here. I see nothing in this thread from Gob and Jedi which warrants those hostile posts from Black_Warrior and hb.
Yes you are. Gob has a history of picking on my posts and resorting to personal attacks. It started with when I posted something in the Aus-NZ thread last year (I don't even remember what) and I assume he didn't like it and asked me to go back to PakPassion. Since then this has continued in multiple threads.

Well, he called AB's 169 at Perth one of the most memorable innings ever.... Don't really know how to respond to that.

Even Jono, who hates people calling AB a downhill skier will agree that that innings was one of the prime examples of downhill skiing. It wasn't exactly the best innings to pick in such a thread, although 'memorable' is of course a subjective word.
Sure, but when I am asked a question about who scored the most memorable knocks, my first instinct isn't "what would OS and Jono say". That explains why my answer is different to yours and Jono.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Who's the best in this regard these days? Cos it feels like a lot of the guys that come to mind with regards to recent players as an answer for the question have retired....
Rahane? Certainly not going to forget his Lord's ton, or him going nuts against Johnson at Melbourne.

Gob

International Coach
Yes you are. Gob has a history of picking on my posts and resorting to personal attacks. It started with when I posted something in the Aus-NZ thread last year (I don't even remember what) and I assume he didn't like it and asked me to go back to PakPassion. Since then this has continued in multiple threads.
haha it started here

See it for yourselves people if you care and decide who the dickhead is

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
haha it started here

See it for yourselves people if you care and decide who the dickhead is
Man, HB used to be on Gob's side!!!, see below

Yeah but this round is very clearly going to Gob. BW is arguing something that was not even said in the first place.
It looks like HB turned heel/face (depending on one's viewpoint) on Gob and is now tag teaming with BW.

Daemon

I have read the entire thread and decided that you both should uppercut yourselves