• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank current test teams

cnerd123

likes this
Reckon the only team with a shot of beating Pakistan in UAE atm are India but they refuse to play them.

Aus and SA should fare decently on each others pitches; NZ handled England pretty well and England's quicks should like NZ too. West Indies are so **** the pitch doesn't matter, and SL are like India but not as good. BD need to play more Tests; they're definitely better than Zimbabwe no matter what conditions and could definitely run WI tight.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes its funny and as soon as i saw your post i expected to read something totally horse ****.

Not disappointed
Where else have Australia won other than Australia to prove this artillery power?

Try to answer the point instead of attacking the poster personally. You just come across as dumb.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally think SA would've beaten Pak in 2013 if it was a 3 test series.

Difficult to rank them the best team though. Everyone else is bad away from home too, but atleast they have tourss. You can never tell how goo/awful Pakistan will be overseas unless it actually happens.

OverratedSanity

Where else have Australia won other than Australia to prove this artillery power?

Try to answer the point instead of attacking the poster personally. You just come across as dumb.
They beat the number 1 team in their own backyard. And WI, if you want to count them.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally think SA would've beaten Pak in 2013 if it was a 3 test series.

Difficult to rank them the best team though. Everyone else is bad away from home too, but atleast they have tourss. You can never tell how goo/awful Pakistan will be overseas unless it actually happens.
South Africa would most definitely have won if it was a 3 match series and they are very clearly the number 1 side now. I think the tiny gulf that they have in terms of points is more a reflection of the less number of games that they play and losing points for a farcical 0-0 draw in Bangladesh earlier.

Number 2 is very difficult and I would place India, Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan in the same level here with very little to choose between them. All these sides can perform in suitable conditions and have a strong core of good test players who are developing.

Then comes England and Sri Lanka, followed by West Indies and Bangladesh.

Gob

International Coach

Where the **** did i say that Australia have won everywhere?

And anyone with a clear eye sight could see the potential fire power of an Attack of Starc,Pattinson and Hazlewood could possess. I also said they are unproven at the moment so i don't know i guess the message i wanted to convey there was that Aus got some bowlers with amazing potential who are unproven atm but could turn out to be pretty good in two years and most posters who aren't making every single post here with a hidden agenda seem to get that idea

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Where the **** did i say that Australia have won everywhere?

And anyone with a clear eye sight could see the potential fire power of an Attack of Starc,Pattinson and Hazlewood could possess. I also said they are unproven at the moment so i don't know i guess the message i wanted to convey there was that Aus got some bowlers with amazing potential who are unproven atm but could turn out to be pretty good in two years and most posters who aren't making every single post here with a hidden agenda seem to get that idea
What's the hidden agenda?

All I raised was that Pakistan seems to be dismissed as winning just at UAE when you that's true for pretty much every other team in the world.

OverratedSanity

But then lost at home to the same team. I think they cancel each other out. And no I am not counting WI.
No they don't cancel each other out. You can't on one hand slag them off for saying they haven't won away from home and then say their biggest overseas win means nothing because they lost to them at home. So in your eyes they need to beat every team home AND away. How silly.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
What's the hidden agenda?

All I raised was that Pakistan seems to be dismissed as winning just at UAE when you that's true for pretty much every other team in the world.
Of course they are and do you wan't me to type that in front of every team?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No it doesn't cancel each other out. You can't on one hand slag them off for saying they haven't won away from home and then say their biggest overseas win means nothing because they lost to them at home. So in your eyes they need to beat every team home AND away. How silly.
No I didn't say that. All I was saying to the original point was that Australia's record in away conditions is there for all to see. It's not better than most of the other sides and that makes it very difficult to choose between Australia and some of the other sides.
Yes they have 1 away win and 1 home loss.
But so do most of the other sides (some minus the home loss)
Sri Lanka also won 1-0 in England so why aren't they being hailed as well as having artillery as well?

Gob

International Coach
Yes Prasad,Welegedara and Lakmal are right up there with Starc,Pattinson and Hazlewood.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course they are and do you wan't me to type that in front of every team?
Mate I raised a point about your original post. You responded with a personal attack (the second time) instead of responding to the post. Then you went on to accuse me of having some hidden agenda. I don't remember a lot of interactions with you unless you are some multi, but given that you have now personally attacked me twice instead of responding to the post, I think it's pretty clear who has the personal agenda.

Gob

International Coach
Mate I raised a point about your original post. You responded with a personal attack (the second time) instead of responding to the post. Then you went on to accuse me of having some hidden agenda. I don't remember a lot of interactions with you unless you are some multi, but given that you have now personally attacked me twice instead of responding to the post, I think it's pretty clear who has the personal agenda.
Not having personal interactions doesn't mean i don't read your posts and when i do they usually hurt my brain

Seriously though an attack with two blokes who can bowl 150 plus and a 6'6" seamer who hit the deck and gets movement is a sort of an attack that i'd call heavy artillery. Then i also said they aren't proven but i feel they will prove themselves over the next two years based on that potential. How could you not get that?

morgieb

South Africa
New Zealand
India
Australia
Pakistan
England
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

I still think South Africa are first despite their batting being exposed in India, I suspect they might be on the decline as their bowling attack isn't especially young and their batting in general looking less solid these days, but they seem the most reliable in all conditions still and I want more evidence. If they get rolled by England I'll reconsider, but I don't think that's likely. The fact that the India series was their first away loss since 2006 is damn immense.

Next five (Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan) have little to choose between them. New Zealand take 2nd for mine because their away record is a fair bit better than the rest. Drew with Pakistan and England, and competed well with Australia after the first Test. That said, I worry they've fallen away a bit since the World Cup, especially with their bowling.

India next, they still need to sort out their seam bowling to consistently be a threat away from home, but they look a nasty side to knock off in their own conditions and everything else is pretty strong. How good a seam bowling batting all-rounder would look for them right about now.....

I'll take Australia next, yes our batting can be collapse-prone, but I'm not convinced it's more collapse-prone than the rest of the world away from home. And our bowling, while a bit unproven, looks really promising.

Pakistan next, very good in their own conditions, but I worry about them outside of Asia. Yes they haven't toured recently, but when they did it wasn't pretty. Misbah's about to retire, Shafiq and Azhar are pretty inexperienced touring and the rest of the bunch that isn't named Younis Khan is patchy. And they don't really have the seam bowling to make up for it either.....

Making up the chasing pack is England. Just don't have the depth to remain consistent. They'll probably develop more with more experience, but I still have question marks over their batsmen who aren't Cook and Root.

Sri Lanka's bowling attack is actually pretty decent, and Mathews is a gun. Unfortunately their batting line-up on a whole is sorely lacking in depth and experience. Funny how 12 months ago there was a semi-plausible case to have them second.

West Indies are pretty dire these days. I think their bowling could be good but the sum doesn't equal the parts (Taylor and Roach never seem to play well in the same series, for example) but their batting has a case of being the worst out of the Full Members of the ICC. Honestly they're lucky to remain ahead of Bangladesh, who are much improved in their own conditions and actually have a bowling attack that can cause damage in other areas of the subcontinent (i.e. pitches that aren't roads)

Zimbabwe are sadly getting worse and worse, and it may not be long before their Test status gets suspended again.

OverratedSanity

No I didn't say that. All I was saying to the original point was that Australia's record in away conditions is there for all to see. It's not better than most of the other sides and that makes it very difficult to choose between Australia and some of the other sides.
Yes they have 1 away win and 1 home loss.
But so do most of the other sides (some minus the home loss)
Sri Lanka also won 1-0 in England so why aren't they being hailed as well as having artillery as well?
What are we discussing here? :huh:

I thought your argument was that Australia's record was much the same as Pakistan's. (ie) only beating everyone at home. That is patently not true. You brushed off Australia's win in SA as if it wasn't a big deal, when no one else apart from Australia themselves has beaten SA in SA in a long long time. You can say what you want, but having a mediocre away record with a few great wins is most definitely better than not having an away record at all.

Mediocre>Completely unproven.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What are we discussing here? :huh:

I thought your argument was that Australia's record was much the same as Pakistan's. (ie) only beating everyone at home. That is patently not true. You brushed off Australia's win in SA as if it wasn't a big deal, when no one else apart from Australia themselves has beaten SA in SA ever. You can say what you want, but having a mediocre away record with a few great wins is most definitely better than not having an away record at all.

Mediocre>Completely unproven.
No my original point was about dismissing Pakistan as winning at UAE in an era of home track bullies. I just didn't get that point when it could be said about pretty much every other team other than South Africa and to an extent New Zealand who have the second best away record.
I used Australia as an example to make that point that they're just like everyone else.
Yes they have won in South Africa but then Sri Lanka have won in England where Australia haven't won since 2001.

Point is that when you have such tightly ranked sides, you are going to have these odd data too. New Zealand got hammered 0-2 in South Africa but have an overall much better away record than Australia's. My criticism was of the wording, that Pakistan only win at UAE.

I don't really believe that there is much to decide between Australia, India, Pakistan and New Zealand. New Zealand might get the edge for having a considerably better away record than the rest.